Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Platform Pedals

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Platform Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 06:32 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Platform Pedals

Enough of this clipless crap ... anyone have a recommendation for a no-slip, high-grip platform pedal? The ones on my low bottom bracket recumbent are cheap. No interest in a clipless, this is for recreational riding and I don't have any problems of my feet slipping off of the pedals.

Here are five contenders.

The first are the Grip Kings from Rivendell, shown beside a standard MKS pedal. I don't like the two thin lines design of the MKS.

Second is Crank Brothers 5050X.

Third is the Sun Zu Zu

Fourth is the Odyssey triple cage

Fifth is the Wellgo MG-1 magnesium pedal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gripking.jpg (60.3 KB, 107 views)
crank5050.jpg (73.3 KB, 97 views)
sunzuzu.jpg (71.2 KB, 96 views)
odyssey.jpg (78.7 KB, 89 views)
wellsmg1.jpg (72.8 KB, 97 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-02-08, 06:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Does a recumbent eliminate the need to wear soccer shinguards when you use such pedals?
Old 06-02-08, 06:43 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read comments by others referring to such a thing, but I have never experienced being hit in the shins by a platform pedal.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-02-08, 06:57 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I like the Wellgo MG-1. Appairently so does my youngest son because he took mine to put on one of his bikes. I liked them well enough to buy new. The price is rather high.....................unless one is tempted to........................search Ebay...........................for MG-1..............................and acquire them from Hong Kong...........................

Yes indeed says Jimmy "Hong Kong, home of the shiney red pedal"
Old 06-02-08, 07:00 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I've read comments by others referring to such a thing, but I have never experienced being hit in the shins by a platform pedal.
Appearantly there are a lot of people like you because they make so many different models. My son has some pedals on his freeride bike that have replaceable screw in studs. That pedal in the lower left corner looks like something one might see in the Tower of London.

I'll stick with my SPD's (Safe Pedal Drive).
Old 06-02-08, 07:02 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Such pedals go under the nickname of "tenderizers".
Old 06-02-08, 07:07 PM
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a pair of Kona Jack Sh*t pedals that I like.
Old 06-02-08, 07:10 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you need these shoes to use those pedals?
Old 06-02-08, 07:10 PM
lubers

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enough of this clipless crap ... anyone have a recommendation for a no-slip, high-grip platform pedal? The ones on my low bottom bracket recumbent are cheap. No interest in a clipless, this is for recreational riding and I don't have any problems of my feet slipping off of the pedals.

Here are five contenders.

The first are the Grip Kings from Rivendell, shown beside a standard MKS pedal. I don't like the two thin lines design of the MKS.

Second is Crank Brothers 5050X.

Third is the Sun Zu Zu

Fourth is the Odyssey triple cage

Fifth is the Wellgo MG-1 magnesium pedal
I just ordered the MKS touring pedals with some cages, should be here tomorrow. I'm tired of always carry my shoes on my rack and then switching when I get somewhere.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 06-02-08, 07:11 PM
malkin
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where does your foot go on the Rivendell ones? On the horseshoe part or on the rectangle part?
Old 06-02-08, 07:13 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Rivendell pic is of two pedals. Their new Grip Kings are on the left, the classic MKS platforms are on the right. The image is meant to show how different they are. The Grip Kings are designed to maximize surface contact area.

Old 06-02-08, 07:24 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
--
Old 06-02-08, 07:54 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
--
I knew you would weigh in with your two -- worth.

Old 06-02-08, 09:28 PM
TruF 
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enough of this clipless crap
Ouch!
Old 06-02-08, 10:01 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone sounds angry. I think that recumbents need a roll cage and then if you fall to the side you just do a gentle roll. Or a good set of training wheels and that baby will never go over. Clipless scares me but I do love having the ability to pull up on a pedal. If I never rode up a hill, I would go back to platform pedals. I have a stationary recumbent with platform pedals and straps. One of the irritating things about riding it is that I have to hold my feet on the pedals or they want to fall off. What I need is a pedal which releases on the voice command of OH @@@@.
Old 06-02-08, 10:06 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Speedplay Drilliums are the only way to go. bk
Old 06-02-08, 10:22 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Speedplay Drilliums are the only way to go. bk
I've seen those recommended elsewhere. A bit pricey.

They look too sleek and fast for me!
Attached Images
spdrill.jpg (23.3 KB, 86 views)

Old 06-02-08, 10:40 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got platforms on my flat-bar road bike too. And my hybrid and my Bridgestone city bike. My feet never slip off of any of them. When I was riding it up hills last week, I never noticed any problem. I have PowerGrips on my hybrid and so when I'm on the backstroke & try to pull up, it does feel like I am applying some upstroke pull. But when I do the same on my platforms, it feels exactly the same. And there is no effect on my speed uphills with or without the PowerGrip straps - even though they do hold my shoes tight to the pedal.

People write that they feel like they have to hold their feet onto the pedals with platforms. I was trying hard to lift my feet off of the pedals, while spinning at around 90 rpm, and was unsuccessful.

Old 06-02-08, 10:44 PM
fthomas
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Performance has some nice ones that are on sale - Forte. If you check the web site all of the Crank Brother's Platforms are on sale as well! I have been reading a mountain biking instruction book by Brian Lopes and he recommends learning the basics on platforms instead of clipless. I have stayed with platforms on my touring bike and thought of upgrading to MKS Touring Lites.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 06-02-08, 10:50 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Performance & Nashbar always have those Forte platforms on sale. The sale prices do vary from week to week. In my first post I pictured one of the Crank Brothers pedals that they have on sale ... those are 2007 models that are discontinued and on clearance from many on-line e-tailers.

Old 06-03-08, 05:01 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

The MG-1's are the lightest of the larger DH style pedals made. They have sealed cartridge bearings. Reviewers seem to think that they have slightly less traction (and therefor are slightly less likely to damage your shins and calves) and are more comfortable to ride. They are however painted (many choices of colors for you OCP/Fred types) and the paint wears off exposing the bare metal underneath rather quickly.

The Ultimate platform pedal though is probably the Shimano PD-MX30 but the price will give you a nosebleed.
Old 06-03-08, 06:28 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I have the Sun Zu-Zu on my road bike, Donna has the Wellgo's on her mtn bike, I have the Nashbar pedals on my mtn.bike. I like the Sun pedal best out of all of them, because the pedal is more concave and fits the foot better. A vote for the Sun pedals here!
Old 06-03-08, 10:46 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Appearantly there are a lot of people like you because they make so many different models. My son has some pedals on his freeride bike that have replaceable screw in studs. That pedal in the lower left corner looks like something one might see in the Tower of London.

I'll stick with my SPD's (Safe Pedal Drive).
You haven't lived till you've had a pair of triple cage pedals on a bike. Yet another thing to remind you that you only have so much blood in the body. Caught the shins first of all and ripped them to pieces. Then caught the Calf muscle and I honestly thought it was E R Time. Didn't stop bleeding till a Driver stopped his car and put a bandage on it for me. He was following me as I tried to get home and the blood was all over the front of his car.

AND- The lad I did a ride with the tandem on last September recently changed over to SPD's on one of his bikes. He has just bought the second pair for his second bike as he can't ride the bikes without them.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-03-08, 11:13 AM
Zorba
"The Veiled Male"

Bikes: Biria

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have these, $24-ish right now from Performance. Not bad at all in the slippage dept. - which is why I bought them. Only problem I've had so far was that one of the screws holding the cleat on decided to become one with the roadside junk somewhere, so I had to re-assemble with lok-tite. I think SmashBar sells this same pedal with their name on it.
Old 06-03-08, 12:28 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a near identical pair of those on my flat bar road bike. But wanted to get something with a bit more stick-tion on my recumbent, as I don't have much weight over the pedals on it.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-23-08 at 08:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.