Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Bag on a Cyclocross?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 10:59 PM
HokkaidoRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone else have this issue? My Jake the Snake has the brakes up on top too, meaning there isnt much space to fit the bag. I know people use the JTS for touring, did you just remove that set of brake levers or is there a way around it?
Old 06-04-08, 11:29 PM
maureenkh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get extra straps, maybe use a set for toe clips and hang a small bag lower than the cross brake levers. I love those levers and have them on three bikes, but they do complicate mounting a handlebar bag. I use a small axiom handlebar bag that I bought about 10 years ago and long straps to hang it below the levers.

Maureen
Old 06-04-08, 11:30 PM
eibeinaka

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking into this right now.

Thanks to Cyccocomute for giving me this thread link

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=213191&highlight=noodle+brake+v)s

As an idea for a way to fit a reasonably-sized handlebar bag with a double stem set up and keep the inline levers.

Last edited by eibeinaka; 06-04-08 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-05-08, 12:25 AM
HokkaidoRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into it. I will just use my camelback for the time being. And I just found out my BOB Yak trailer's QR skewer is 2mm too long.... ruining my touring weekend before I even leave!
Old 06-05-08, 06:59 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use one on my tricross. Just rotate the brake levers to where they should be, pointing down. They don't get in the way of my topeak bag.

Steve
Old 06-05-08, 07:02 AM
Muttsta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took that set of brake levers off, I found them to be pretty useless anyway
Old 06-05-08, 07:18 AM
eibeinaka

Bikes: Surly LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HokkaidoRider, eh?

Only noticed that when you replied. I'm intending to do a tour of Hokkaido this August. Much prefer the idea of being there than Tokyo at that time. What's the free camping like in Hokkaido?
Old 06-05-08, 08:53 AM
HokkaidoRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I just rotate the levers down, it may work. But my axion handlebar bag seems too big to fit there. Also clamps (is that the word?) that grasp the handlebar are finding that my handlebar is way too thick. I haven't found a headlight even that will fit around this handlebar...

As for touring Hokkaido, feel free to PM me for details about routes/camping. It's awesome for touring around. Camping is free/cheap, you can stay at or near an onsen almost every night too. Buy the book "Hokkaido Touring Mapple". It has a guy on a motorbike on the front but works just the same for bicycles.
Old 06-05-08, 10:05 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by HokkaidoRider
Anyone else have this issue? My Jake the Snake has the brakes up on top too, meaning there isnt much space to fit the bag. I know people use the JTS for touring, did you just remove that set of brake levers or is there a way around it?
Angle the brake levers down like you would on a mountain bike. Most of the interrupter levers I've seen on cross bikes are flat. An added benefit is you'll have a more natural angle for your fingers when you use the interrupter levers.

Depending on which bag you have, there are also lot of extenders for the clamping mechanism. Tubus, Jannd and others that use a Rixen and Kaul mount type mount have extenders you can get.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-06-08, 01:03 AM
cemmes
Tourererer

Bikes: Lemond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I've got a Lemond Poprad and I was able to mount a arkel bag on my bars just fine. Besides the tinkering involved with getting the clamps on, the cross levers have a good cm of room still. I love the levers and am glad they fit. I just had to put the brake cables through the brackets. I would add a picture but my bike is in the back of a UPS truck on its way to virginia.
Old 06-06-08, 06:59 AM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Topeak bag clamps fit fine, I just didn't use the extra padding they provide. The one odd thing about rotating the levers down is it means I can't see them - they're exactly the opposite side of the bar from my eyes. I'm not sure why that seems so odd, but it does - invisible brakes!

Steve
Old 06-06-08, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by stevage
The Topeak bag clamps fit fine, I just didn't use the extra padding they provide. The one odd thing about rotating the levers down is it means I can't see them - they're exactly the opposite side of the bar from my eyes. I'm not sure why that seems so odd, but it does - invisible brakes!

Steve
On all of my mountain bikes, I can't see the levers from the saddle. But if you have to look for the brakes to stop the bike you have bigger problems
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!