Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

For those of you that go on frequent tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 06:44 PM
erichkopp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What do you do for jobs in between touring, and even during (if at all)?
Old 11-25-09, 07:45 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Long ago and far way when first started to tour but worked for someone else, I arranged for a four day work week giving me three day weekends for touring. I also volunteered for overtime and comp time to increase my available time off. Later when working for myself I took advantage of the simple minded boss [me] and took more and more touring days instead of working as much as I could have. I have never regretted those choices.

No one has more than 24 hours each day. Arranging how to use them is the key. The same with money. If touring is a high priority then saving money when you work by choosing where your money goes carefully means that you have more money when touring. If you spend your money on every fad gadget, status car, TV, social activity or drink there will be considerably less available for touring or touring equipment. It is always a matter of choices when money is limited as it is for many of those who tour.

Once on tour money choices continue. How to get to the starting point or starting and finishing at home? Transportation of people and bikes can be expensive. Spending patterns on tour can rapidly reduce the tour fund and thus tour length unless you are carefully choosing where the money goes. Free camping and cooking rather than restaurants and hotels or even hostels can stretch your tour funds but it takes some discipline. And that only comes with practice.

Other touring friends have developed portable skills that are in demand wherever they go when they need to raise money. One friend worked for years in oil fields for only two or three months per year and used the high pay to tour the other nine months of the year. He started touring at age 17 and still doing so thirty yeras later. It works for him.

Good luck in figuring out how you will tour often and how to pay for it.
Old 11-26-09, 12:29 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Self-employed database programmer. My tours are no more than 3 months long - I'm starting to feel that 3-5 weeks is the sweet spot for me, at least in the US - so I evaluate the project load, give plenty of warning, and tell the companies I contract with when I'm going to be gone. I don't leave when there is important/urgent work that needs to be done. Last year I took a little computer with me too, just so I would be able to put out any fires while I was on the road.

I realize how lucky I am to be able to do this.
Old 11-26-09, 12:32 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Temp/contract work.

You've heard of Manpower, right? Well, it's an international organization and there are heaps of similar organizations all over the world. I have worked for two different temp agencies for several years now, and it's great. Or you can look around and pick up term positions. Back in 1997, I picked up a 7 month term position filling in for someone for mat leave. That one actually developed into a full-time permanent position, which was what I wanted at the time, and I ended up spending a total of 8 years there. I'm in a 6 or 7 week term position right now - seasonal work. And as I've been job hunting, I've noticed a lot of 6-18 month term positions available.

Last edited by Machka; 11-26-09 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-26-09, 01:16 AM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
bicycle mechanic
bike guide
lifestyle
general support
et al
bikes
Old 11-26-09, 06:21 AM
semperfi1970

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I save up all of the vacation that is allowed before I loose it, blow it all at once. Using vacation time and some unpaid time I can hit the road for a little better than two months a year.
Old 11-26-09, 07:17 AM

Bikes: Two Robin Mather custom built tourers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are working on mastering the art of freedom to go on tour when we want. From our research, any profession you can do over the web gives you great mobility. So, website designer, virtual assistant, graphic designer, writer... plus all the usual traveller's professions like English teacher. One website you might be interested in looking at is https://locationindependent.com
Old 11-26-09, 07:25 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to be an engineer in san francisco, and i got a 2 weeks paid per year. Luckily my company was cool with me taking unpaid time off, so I could go on a longer tour if i wanted, but was a little difficult. Now i am an english teacher in france and have 5 weeks of paid vacation, and can take unpaid time off. Yay!
Old 11-26-09, 07:56 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I work at a campsite from march to october, leaving me free to travel or work on other projects through the winter.

I only have myself to support so I can save money to make it through the winter... beans and rice all year round hihi
Old 11-26-09, 10:21 AM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Ah, the million dollar question!

During my 20s, travel was a high priority, and so I worked hard at low-paying jobs until I had saved enough to go away. I would give up my rental unit, put my stuff in storage with my family or friends, and take off. Typically, I would come back nearly broke after two months to 10 months on the road. But I wasn't saving anything; funny how most people in their 20s aren't thinking about how they are going to finance their lives for the 20 or 30 years after they stop working!

Now in my 50s, with a family and mortgage and the need to salt away money for my retirement crystal-clear in my mind, my travel plans are a little less ambitious than they were 30 years ago. My interest in extended bicycle touring has waned; but I still do bicycle trips, just for shorter periods. After a week away, I am ready to come home. I also do more short, overnight trips than I did in earlier years.
Old 11-26-09, 10:58 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Elementary school teacher. 2 1/2 months off in summer for touring. In 9 years I'll retire. Then watch me go!
Old 11-27-09, 10:11 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It's good to be the owner/boss....sometimes.
Old 11-27-09, 11:13 AM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I work for government. I tour internationally 3 weeks a year, and weekend tours the rest of the time.
Old 11-27-09, 11:17 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Job ??
What is that?
Old 11-27-09, 11:59 AM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by arctos

No one has more than 24 hours each day. Arranging how to use them is the key. The same with money. If touring is a high priority then saving money when you work by choosing where your money goes carefully means that you have more money when touring. If you spend your money on every fad gadget, status car, TV, social activity or drink there will be considerably less available for touring or touring equipment. It is always a matter of choices when money is limited as it is for many of those who tour.
I totally agree! My husband and I are both teachers, so always had 3 weeks off at Christmas and a couple months in the summer. At some point, however, we decided that wasn't how we wanted to spend our lives - 9 months every year spending more time with other people's kids than we did with our own.

Now we are out touring the world WITH our children and it has been a phenomenal experience. We are spending some of our retirement savings, but believe very strongly that time with our kids NOW is more important that having a lot of money when we retire