Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sweating lemons, Stinging eyes.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 05:18 PM
NovaSteve

Bikes: Pretty Nice Trek Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On my way to work on Thursday it was warm out and I was waiting at a stoplight and my sweat started burning my eyes like crazy. Once I got through the intersection I pulled off to the side, I couldn't stand it, my eyes were burning so bad. I was thinking maybe some bacteria or poison ivy had touched the rim of my helmet, and sweated down into my eyes. When I got to work I looked in the mirror and my eyes were pink. I washed my face and felt better.

The next day it was the same. I had to pull over and wipe my face. It was never like that before so I wondered what I was doing differently. Then I remembered on Tuesday I bought some Twinning's Lemon and Ginger Tea, and I've been drinking that a lot.

I wouldn't have thought in the digestion process that there would be so much lemon in the liquid as it goes up into my sweat glands. I guess my guts aren't that coordinated.

I didn't drink any more of that tea yesterday and I felt fine on my commute today.

Has something like that ever happened to anyone else?
Old 09-17-05, 05:43 PM
slooney

Bikes: Trek 930 mutt (beater) Gary Fisher '98 Paragon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, not precisely. I often work outside, and have found that the more dehydrated I get, the more potent my sweat is. Either that, or the longer I'm outside the more crap is lying on my skin to be flushed off, and into my eyes. Less water carrying the same amount of pollution, that is, cellular crap? I'm no physiologist, but it seem logical to me that the more water you drink, the more your system is flushed, and the less is coming out of your forehead, and into your eyes. It's a bugger, for sure.
Old 09-17-05, 07:12 PM
slagjumper

Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My sweat stings. That's why I use a scull bandana. It absorbs the sweat and keeps it out of my eyes.
Old 09-17-05, 07:32 PM
podman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
rinse your helmet.. salt builds up
Old 09-17-05, 09:57 PM
NovaSteve

Bikes: Pretty Nice Trek Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha, Ha, I like the directness in the way you said that. Like, "Dude, trim your nails." Rinsing my helmet is a really good idea. I've never actually done that. It's a skater style helmet, with all kinds of skuffs. Like a lucky pair of old shoes. I don't want to wash the luck out of it. But maybe if my health is at risk.

Does anyone know anything about diet and the acidity of sweat?
Old 09-17-05, 10:27 PM
tokolosh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what you want to do is try sweating into your eyes for a couple of days *without* the what-was-it-tea. note the results and get back to us.