Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Braking issues?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Braking issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-13, 06:27 PM
DRLski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braking issues?

Ok, so I have a pair of Easton EA70X rims that have tubular Challenge Fango tires glued on them. When I took the rear wheel off the bike last year I had no braking issues to speak of, road them almost the entire season. I just put the rear wheel back on for a race tomorrow, replacing my clinchers, and noticed the brakes grabbing in certain spots. I clean the surface of the rim, brake pads have not changed but have plenty of life in them. After rubbing my finger over the rim, one side of the rim had a few ever so slightly raised spots, I hardly noticed them. Unsure if this would cause the issue or why my braking was not effected last year when I took the wheels off. They look pretty true when I spin them although have not checked them on a truing stand yet.

Any advice? Pretty bummed that I'll have to race with my clinchers tomorrow, guess I should have checked them sooner but figured they'd be fine since I put them away good.
Old 09-20-13, 07:10 PM
DRLski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, FWIW, I've checked the brake pad alignment and toe in with no change
Old 09-20-13, 07:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Rim blips/dents will most certainly effect the brakes' crabbiness. The brakes act as a measuring caliper of sorts with a tactile feedback as the read out. As the dent passes by the pads it, being slightly wider the the rest of the rim that the pads have been brushing against, hangs up between the pads. Then as the dent goes past the pads the feel is as was before. So there's a rhythmic pulsing. One dent will be one pulse per wheel revolution. More dents will be more pulses per revolution.

A build up of stuff on the rim's braking track can do the same. Like sew up glue. Andy.
Old 09-20-13, 07:16 PM
DRLski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So this all makes sense to me, what doesn't make sense is why before putting these in storage they were fine and now several months after when putting them back on my bike I'm getting this feedback. Why would I feel the feedback now and not before?
Old 09-20-13, 07:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
double ferruled,m double wall rims when the spokes are tensioned, tend to do that ,
My Mod 3 Mavic clinchers have that slight high spot at each spoke hole ..

Obsess or ride them . its a choice [i obviously cannot personally see the amount .
it may just be a hundredth of a MM .

You might like those deep section carbon things better

I've been fine with my wheels as I spoke of , for 0ver 25 years (they have a 6 speed freewheel on them **

maybe use them when the course is really muddy and braking is not the same feel, as when the course is Dry.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-20-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-20-13, 07:33 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Maybe you weren't as tuned into the feel back then? Maybe the wheels that you have used since are in better shape? Maybe your feel/standards raised? Andy.
Old 09-20-13, 07:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Step one, spin the wheel with your fingers as calipers to confirm that there, in fact, blips. Then it's a question of figuring out how and when they got there. If the blips are at the outer edge than they are probably the result of road hazards. Tubulars are nice in that they can absorb an impact big enough to blip a thin walled rim, that's good news when it happens because you don't have to walk home, but you still have a blip. OTOH, if the blip isn't of the type caused by road hazards, then you need to figure out how they got there.

Now, it's entirely possible that you don't actually have meaningful blips, so it's simply an issue of sticky/slippery zones on the rim. That happens all the time, and like many things on a bike can happen slowly and be subtle enough that you accept and factor it without noticing. Then you switch wheels, and all is good, but when you switch back all the flaws stick out like sore thumbs.

BTW- blips in the brake tracks of tubular rims are easily squeezed back with pliers, and some supporting material for control.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.