Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chewing up chains within 500 miles

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chewing up chains within 500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 01:11 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Here's a better approach that can save you headaches and dough.

1- discard ALL measuring devices.
2- buy 3 chains with reusable connectors
3- rotate the chains every 500 miles or so, keeping the connectors and chains together in married pairs.
4- keep up the rotation system, using the time off the bike to properly clean the chains in mineral spirits, dry, then oil them, storing the "on deck" chain oiled and ready to go in a plastic bag.
5- keep rotating this way until all 3 chains and the sprockets are toast together. Since the chains and sprockets stay well matched in condition, you won't get the skip issue of new chains on worn sprockets.
6- don't obsess or fret, just keep riding until you can't.

**** if you feel that 500 miles is too far rotate more frequently based on whatever level of effort you're willing to put in. (I rotate my chains at 1,000 miles or so).

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-17-16, 01:27 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, you'll never again hear me complain about getting 3-4k out of my 10 speed chains.
Old 02-17-16, 11:50 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://jet.com/product/detail/5b516...FQusaQodv3IOLA

It's either this one or a ruler for accuracy.
Old 02-17-16, 12:16 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
The chain on my commuter bike is 43 years old, original drivetrain. Maybe I should get a chain checker...? Nah, I think I will wait a few more years....
Assuming you are not commuting 1 mile each week....odds are the chain, chainrings and cogs are all nicely worn down together. If you replaced the chain it would most likely wreak all sorts of shifting havoc. I ran into that years ago with an old mtn bike that finally stopped shifting well but replacing the chain made it worse as it then had a new chain but worn cogs, hence the "keep replacing the chain regularly" OR just let the entire drivetrain run down the rabbit hole together.
Old 02-17-16, 03:00 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
https://jet.com/product/detail/5b516...FQusaQodv3IOLA

It's either this one or a ruler for accuracy.
I use this one https://pedros.com/products/tools/gen...-checker-plus/ in conjunction with the park. The Pedro CC measures from three points.
Old 02-17-16, 03:02 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Assuming you are not commuting 1 mile each week....odds are the chain, chainrings and cogs are all nicely worn down together. If you replaced the chain it would most likely wreak all sorts of shifting havoc. I ran into that years ago with an old mtn bike that finally stopped shifting well but replacing the chain made it worse as it then had a new chain but worn cogs, hence the "keep replacing the chain regularly" OR just let the entire drivetrain run down the rabbit hole together.

A single commute for me is 32 miles I average 64 to 96 miles a week..
Old 02-17-16, 03:09 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The Park tool chain checker is a POS. Brand new chains checked with it are indicated as being close to worn out. That chain checker is FIT for the PIT.
Old 02-17-16, 03:15 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Chains on bikes 43 years ago were much more robust than the super-narrow 9-11sp chains used today.

The Park chain tool, and many others, are known for being notoriously inaccurate. They push two rollers apart to get a reading, which means they measure roller wear in addition to pin wear.

I bought a Pedro's chain checker tool, which works exactly like the Shimano tool, for only $18. It measures from the same side of two different pins/rollers for a much more accurate reading. I verified it against a metal ruler on both my worn chain and a brand new chain. On the old chain the tool's pins went in easily. On the new chain the outer left end pin would not fit, as expected.

The bonus of the Pedro's tool is that it also includes a hooked end for use with chainring nuts, and two other hooks on the top of the tool that will hold a chain together while using a chain breaker or similar tool.

Amazon.com : Pedro's Chain Checker Plus : Sports Outdoors : Sports & Outdoors
Old 02-17-16, 03:19 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
Chains on bikes 43 years ago were much more robust than the super-narrow 9-11sp chains used today.

The Park chain tool, and many others, are known for being notoriously inaccurate. They push two rollers apart to get a reading, which means they measure roller wear in addition to pin wear.

I bought a Pedro's chain checker tool, which works exactly like the Shimano tool, for only $18. It measures from the same side of two different pins/rollers for a much more accurate reading. I verified it against a metal ruler on both my worn chain and a brand new chain. On the old chain the tool's pins went in easily. On the new chain the outer left end pin would not fit, as expected.

The bonus of the Pedro's tool is that it also includes a hooked end for use with chainring nuts, and two other hooks on the top of the tool that will hold a chain together while using a chain breaker or similar tool.

Amazon.com : Pedro's Chain Checker Plus : Sports Outdoors : Sports & Outdoors
I followed a link above to that tool - pretty sweet at less than $20 while the Shimano one with fewer features is $60.
Old 02-17-16, 03:51 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yep I've already used the chain ring nut wrench a couple of times now, and will be checking my commuter bike chain after it gets a couple thousand more miles on it.
Old 02-17-16, 03:53 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
I'm gonna invent a chain-checker-checker tool, so you can check whether your chain-checker has reached end-of life and needs replacing. I'm gonna sell it for $49.99, which will give me a very healthy profit margin, since the chain-checker-checker will be a 13" stretch of brand-new chain.
Old 02-18-16, 09:04 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
once the tool shows 1, not 0.75, it is time for a new chain. Used that way, the tool is good.
This.

At the shop, I give customers a choice -- if it reads between 0.75 and 1.00, I tell them that the chain is worn and they might consider replacing it. When it reads over 1, replace, and if they have already replaced one chain, it would be a good idea to replace the cassette, too.

If they are on their second chain for any given cassette, and the chain wear reading is anywhere north of 0.75, I will advise them to keep riding until the drivetrain starts skipping or they begin to get unhappy about the shifting performance, and than any adjustment we do will be best possible given the current state of wear, that they should not expect perfection. Especially heading into the winter -- ride the crappy parts until Spring and then do new drivetrain wear parts.
Old 02-18-16, 03:08 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
I beg to differ. On a new chain I can get my largest chainwheel no problem. The more play in the chain... I can't . Plus over all the bike shifts smoothly front and rear on a new chain.
Chains get longer as they wear, though you haven't posted numbers as to how long your chains are when 'worn.' A longer chain won't affect front derailleur performance because it relies almost entirely on the chain's width to function properly. I've never experienced front shifting issues as a result of chain wear and only ever noticed slower rear shifting with a very badly worn chain. Unless your chains are showing 1/8" (3.2mm) of stretch, I doubt you are at that point.