Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Next set of tires?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Next set of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 10:58 PM
mooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next set of tires?

Hi All.

I have a 2015 Roam 3 with stock Giant SRX-4 700x40C tires and its time to replace them. I really like the 700x40 tire and it surprised me on how versatile this size can be. My original thought was to just order the same tires from Giant but I was wondering if anybody could recommend another brand that they really like or speak to the different sizes they use and the terrain they ride.
Old 07-09-17, 01:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For mixed terrain but mostly pavement -- smooth, bombed out and chipseal -- with some gravel and dry grass, I'm really liking Continental Speed Rides. About $20 each from various discounters.

If Continental made that tire, or the similar Cyclocross Speed, in 700x25 or 700x28, but without the side knobbies, I'd try 'em on my road bike as well.

For seriously bad pavement or turf with lots of sharp pokey stuff -- goathead grass burrs, broken glass, etc. -- take a look at Michelin Protek Max. There are variations in the chevron tread thickness, from almost slick to heavy, thick tread. I have a set of Protek Cross Max on my errand bike, which is similar to the Giant Roam, and they're great tires. Heavy but bombproof and very puncture resistant.
Old 07-09-17, 05:00 AM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only relate to what I run and what my needs are in a tire.
I replaced the original tires on my 2016 Roam3 (same stock tires) with Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...thon_plus_tour
The size I have are 700x40c , these are probably the toughest tire in the world , and a nice tread to boot.
They are incredibly heavy at 940g , very stiff , and roll pretty slow.
I can feel the difference in speed , but I run over glass and metal debris every time I ride (unavoidable).
The ride is pretty harsh , but they are designed for heavy touring on nasty roads.
I ride alone most of the time and can't physically walk very far , so these work for me very well.
You may read horror stories about mounting these , but I can change them by hand , no tools , quickly on the stock roam wheels because of the deep dish at the spokes.
If I was to change to a faster tire with good puncture resistance , I would check out the Schwalbe Marathon Allmotion HS453.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...athon_Almotion
This is a fast tire with good protection , less tread , maybe a bit smoother.
I would get the 700x38c in this tire.
Yes they are pricey , but I only have 2 of them to rely on.
Good luck on your search.
Mick
Old 07-09-17, 05:16 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mooler
Hi All.

I have a 2015 Roam 3 with stock Giant SRX-4 700x40C tires and its time to replace them. I really like the 700x40 tire and it surprised me on how versatile this size can be. My original thought was to just order the same tires from Giant but I was wondering if anybody could recommend another brand that they really like or speak to the different sizes they use and the terrain they ride.
What price range are you looking for? There seems to be more and more options for tires in similar sizes, which is a good thing, ranging from $12 - $65 a piece.
Bruce
Old 07-09-17, 01:13 PM
jase33

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2014 Niner RLT 9 [storage], K2 Shadow 9 [indoor trainer]

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the 700x38 Maxxis Ramblers I have on my DS4. I ride paved trails, hard pack and gravel and they perform exceptionally in all areas. They also come in 700x40 and AMAZON has them for $49.
Old 07-09-17, 01:47 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
For mixed terrain but mostly pavement -- smooth, bombed out and chipseal -- with some gravel and dry grass, I'm really liking Continental Speed Rides. About $20 each from various discounters.
C' Speed Rides you may consider. Tires are always gonna be a personal preference but I do like them.

I use them for commuting on pavement through gravel, grass, and other dirt.
The naming is to the point as these roll relatively fast.
No issues yet (4 months).
Old 07-09-17, 02:06 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the Speed Rides seem to defy the conventional wisdom about only high TPI tires being "supple". The Speed Rides have a fairly mundane thread count, but they feel great at around 50 psi over bad road. The sidewalls are very flexible, and the main tread feels much less rigid than the popular Clement cyclocross tires I've handled in local shops.

When you feel the Speed Rides uninflated they actually feel a bit too soft and flexy to be durable but they hold up really well and ride great. They're real sleepers among all purpose tires for hybrids. I'm gonna miss 'em if Conti stops making them. Outstanding values too.

Also, the Speed Rides on my 30 lb hybrid (as I usually ride it, with water bottle, etc.) still hold the fastest times on my rural rides, especially over chipseal. I can come close with my lighter road bike and 700x23 tires, but can't quite top my hybrid speeds, and the road bike beats me up whereas I still feel fresh and ready to go after long rides over rough chipseal on the Speed Rides. Great compromise between comfort and speed, especially over rough pavement. My road bike is only consistently faster on smooth pavement.

Last edited by canklecat; 07-09-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 06:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
The Continental Speed Rides are likely the best value out there. Excellent performance in almost all conditions. Super fast and smooth on dry road. Tacky enough for moderate loose stuff (I ride them on gravel all the time). They bomb down single track trails well, too. Despite being 700x42 size, they inflate up to a true 38-40mm depending on rim width and inflation pressure.

I run mine about 30psi in the front and 50psi in the rear. Super comfy.

And a stellar value at less than 50 bucks for a PAIR of these shipped to your door.
Old 07-09-17, 06:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Close up of the CSRs installed on my Trek 750, together with 85mm Tektro Mini-Vs. A perfect combo on a classy bike.

Old 07-09-17, 10:52 PM
mooler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarahbruce
What price range are you looking for? There seems to be more and more options for tires in similar sizes, which is a good thing, ranging from $12 - $65 a piece.
Bruce
I was hoping to keep it in the $30-40 range
Old 07-09-17, 11:21 PM
mooler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all of the replies. My wife surprised me this morning with wanting to go for a Sunday ride and I needed a new tube, so I went to the LBS (A Giant dealer) and while I was there, I ended up getting Giant P-X2 700x38's. Certainly not the best deal at 35 a piece, but my old tires were just about done after 14 months. To be honest, I didnt know that Continental and Michelin even made bike tires and Im not all that knowledgeable about bikes in general But ive been learning and I really enjoy it. Im probably going to pick up a pair of CSR's because they are relatively cheap and I enjoy product testing, even if I cant afford it all the time

Has anyone had any experience with Giant tires? I did a 14 mile ride today. The terrain was relatively flat and the surface was mostly uneven pavement with some loose gravel and grass. I must say they performed quite well, although I felt they were a tad harsher on bumps compared to the SRX-4.

Last edited by mooler; 07-09-17 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 04:56 AM
sarahbruce

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Looks like you found some good tires locally, which is always nice! On a side note, apparently there is a pretty big following for the Continental Speed Rides, both on here, and some review sites. They are definitely on my list for my wife's bike whenever she gets tired of her current tires.
Bruce
Old 07-10-17, 06:17 AM
hokiefyd 

The P-X2 looks like a fine tire.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/p-...ack-reflective

Regarding the CSRs, yes, they do seem to have a bit of a cult following on here, and I think they fly under many folks' radars. They roll fast, they have good volume, they're very light (420 grams for the folding version that most buy), and they're dirt cheap. They notably have minimal puncture protection (as noted earlier), so they're not tires you'd probably want to take on a super remote bike tour. For doing what most of us do with hybrids, however, they're really hard to beat.
Old 07-10-17, 09:27 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
glad you like your new tires. sometimes convenience is enough of a factor. meaning, going to your local shop & buying what they have in stock, is good for you and them

just an fyi, not all tires inflate to the actual width printed on the sidewall. meaning some 40mm tires inflate to 43mm at max pressure. I got surprised recently & probably would have been happier with 38mm Michelin Proteks instead of their 40mm model