Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Did You Ride Today?

Old 07-29-17, 09:22 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Took the Cannondale out again today. Rode from home on the county trail and turned south on the Withlacoochee Trail. Turned around at the Russian Orthodox church and headed home for a total of 17.4 miles. My average speed was up a bit so I'm making progress.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-29-17, 11:09 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 892 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Took the Cannondale out again today. Rode from home on the county trail and turned south on the Withlacoochee Trail. Turned around at the Russian Orthodox church and headed home for a total of 17.4 miles. My average speed was up a bit so I'm making progress.
Sounds like a good saturday to me.
Old 08-01-17, 08:40 AM
RonH
Life is good

My surgery was 2 months ago today.
Took the Litespeed out today. Rode from home to the Withlacoochee Trail and headed north. Went a bit farther on the W T and then headed home. Rode 18 miles and my speed was better too.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 08-01-17 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-01-17, 06:03 PM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Managed to slice off a couple hours for a ride. Got in 26 miles out toward Hague and Lacrosse, then back down 121 to Gainesville. I employed "strategery" and put the headwind on the outbound leg. Smart thinking, that. It rained off and on; enough to keep me cool, and it didn't get hot enough after to turn the road into a tunnel of humidity. Very nice. Bike's a mud and grit spattered mess, though. Oh well. Got in a few intervals in a rather larger gear than normal, and came out the end with an average 15.6mph, no cramps, and not winded. Happiness is! The bike's developed a truly aggravating squeak that will require some detective work and a liberal hand with various lubricating substances.
Old 08-04-17, 09:14 AM
RonH
Life is good

It was cool and overcast this morning so i had to get out. Felt great. Not many others out riding.
I rode the Litespeed from home to the north side of Inverness and back for a total of 21.6 miles.
The fitness is coming back because my speed is increasing and I'm not as tired when I get home. Now I've got to get busy losing the extra pounds I put on while sitting around the house for almost 7 weeks after the surgery.
Life is Good.

Old 08-04-17, 09:29 AM
Leo59

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
It was cool and overcast this morning so i had to get out. Felt great. Not many others out riding.
I rode the Litespeed from home to the north side of Inverness and back for a total of 21.6 miles.
The fitness is coming back because my speed is increasing and I'm not as tired when I get home. Now I've got to get busy losing the extra pounds I put on while sitting around the house for almost 7 weeks after the surgery.
Life is Good.
Great job & glad to hear you're getting back your fitness.

I managed to get 27 miles in today. Started earlier than I usually do but it was still so hot and seemed more humid to me. I still can't get my average over 14 MPH.
Old 08-06-17, 06:17 PM
Leo59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in 9.4 mi today after work. No significance other than it got me over 50 mi for the week - which is a first.
Old 08-08-17, 11:31 AM
RonH
Life is good

Got out early (but not early enough ) and rode from home to the Withlacoochee Trail. I tried heading north but a downed tree blocked the trail about 1/2 mile north of the Hernando trailhead, so turned around an headed south. Rode down toward Inverness but decided to head home because it was getting WARM. Sure wish there was shade along the county trail like on the WT. FYI: there is almost zero shade.
Rode 20.5 miles.

I noticed that some of the folks riding on the county trail don't bother looking for traffic at places where the trail crosses a road. Me? I always check — and wait — even when I have a green light. Not all motorists turning left or right look for cyclist (or care if there's a cyclist in the road??). I learned the hard way 3 years ago when I had a green light and a motorist (in a hurry) made a right on red without looking for cyclists or pedestrians. I lost. But I wasn't hurt too bad and the motorist bought me a new bike, much nicer that the one I was riding.

Old 08-11-17, 02:33 PM
RonH
Life is good

The dog days of summer are in full swing so I decided no more riding the county trail until fall (cooler temps) gets here. The trail runs east-west so I have the sun in my face as soon as I leave the house and its beating down on my back all the way home. And there is zero shade along the trail.
So today I loaded the Litespeed in the car and drove to the Withlacoochee Trail where there is plenty of shade. I've been putting this off until I felt my hernia surgery was healed enough to lift my bike into and out of the back of the SUV.

Rode north to Holder (yes that's a real town along the trail) and then headed south to the bike shop. I've been thinking about upgrading the drivetrain from 9 speed to 11 speed. The last couple of times I had to replace components I had a tough time finding 9 speed Ultegra components. So Sherry (the shop owner) is pricing an 11 speed upgrade — either Ultegra and 105 — depending on the total price.
I could do most of the work myself but my wife said no working on the bike in the house (it's air conditioned) and the garage (which faces east so it starts heating up 5 minutes after sunrise) is not. So if the price is right the bike shop folks will be swapping out the old 2001 Ultegra components for brand new.

Anyway, I ended up riding 18.5 miles.

Old 08-12-17, 09:37 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Bikes: 2000 Maruishi frameset w/Ultegra for the pavement, Trek 6000 for offroad and commuting

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ugh. Thirty miles today just about killed me. Registration's open for the Tour de Tow down in Bartow, and I've gotta start getting in some hills post haste. Did a short loop out Millhopper and up Chestnut Hill (ugh). Didn't do too badly, but 20mi in I bonked big time. Getting back up Millhopper on the way home was a pointed reminder about biting off more than you can chew and how much it's possible to suffer on a bicycle!
Old 08-13-17, 05:25 AM
RonH
Life is good

^^^
Glad you're back out there.

Old 08-18-17, 10:08 AM
Leo59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
30 today. Most I've ever done! It wasn't as difficult as I thought (even though it was 94 degrees-ish). Testing nutrition and eating before/during. I really hate eating before 9:30 but managed two bowls of oatmeal 30 minutes before my ride and a gel about 75 minutes into the ride. Oddly enough, I felt pretty good. I probably shouldn't have tried BOTH on the same day (I never eat TWO bowls before. Usually one bowl or an English muffin with peanut butter). Not sure which actually helped.

I don't know if it's in my head but I swear I *felt* the gel kick in. Maybe it was the caffeine? I can't drink coffee before I ride or I feel sick so this was the first time that I had caffeine on a ride.
Old 08-19-17, 11:58 AM
RonH
Life is good

After rain for the last 4 or 5 mornings I finally got out today. Did my usual ride from Hernando to the north end of the trail and back — 22 miles.

Old 08-23-17, 09:56 AM
Leo59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got 20 in today however I took my first fall. Couldn't get my foot out of the pedal in time. It was comedy really. Cartoon like even. It seems that I had to really twist my foot to un-mount more than I am used to. Felt like there was way too much leeway this time. I'm new at this...any suggestions on what I can do? That screw on the rear of the pedal clock-wise or counter clock-wise?

Last edited by Leo59; 08-24-17 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 08:28 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by Leo59
I got 20 in today however I took my first fall. Couldn't get my foot out of the pedal in time. It was comedy really. Cartoon like even. It seems that I had to really twist my foot to un-mount more than I am used to. Felt like there was way too much leeway this time. I'm new at this...any suggestions on what I can do? That screw on the rear of the pedal clock-wise or counter clock-wise?
Sorry to hear this but glad you're ok.
What pedals do you have? I'm 72 and have been riding with Speedplay Ultra Light Action pedals since 2012. I love them. They're easy to clip into and easy to get out of. I switched from SPL-SL pedals in 2012 because I sometimes had trouble getting unclipped in an emergency.

Old 08-24-17, 07:46 PM
Leo59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Ron.

I have Shimano SPDs (PD-M324 I think) with Shimano Torbal shoes. The pedals were bought with the bike two months ago and the shoes just a month ago. This was the first time that I really got stuck though. Looking to get back out there on Saturday.
Old 08-27-17, 06:55 PM
fire

Bikes: '09 Diamondback Insight 1, '05 Trek 3700 ( now a hybrid street/cross trail bike), (Vintage model) Kent Supreme 10 speed road cruiser, BMX (just for fun), Trek Multitrack 720 and a homebuilt recumbent low-rider.

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We set out 4 miles south of Floral City and rode to the Northern terminus of the Withlacoochee at Dunellon, and then back. We had a little break up there for some nutrition. Would have had a toodle around Inverness had I not needed to be back in the car and on the way home by 10.45.
I'm already wanting winter to be here.
Old 08-31-17, 09:34 AM
RonH
Life is good

After seeing the pain doc on Tuesday my spinal stenosis is under control again for 4-5 months so headed out today on the Litespeed. Felt good to stretch out my lower spine on the bike.
I was glad to see Bruce (@DowneasTTer) and his wife this morning on my way back to the car. I was kinda surprised because I thought they stayed up in New England until the temps cooled off a few degrees here.
Anyway, did my usual 22 miles.

Old 09-02-17, 09:36 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in grit-your-teeth-and-suffer mode now, getting ready for the Tour de Tow - 63 miles on tap! Had my annual physical Thursday, and found out my doc and his wife are signed up for Tour de Tow too. Cool! People to ride with! Got in a good hilly 40 miles this morning, complete with a ride-ending mechanical that didn't end the ride (botched a downshift and dropped the chain while pounding up the Mebane hills and bent the heck out of the chain, but God provided a pair of pliers on the side of the road while I was limping toward a bike shop in High Springs and I was able to straighten the bent link); I was so stoked that I turned around and did the Mebane hills a second time, then rode back via Millhopper (more hills) instead of out to LaCrosse and down (all flat). I was pretty spent by the time I got home, but I'm feeling much better now.

Oh, and the horrendous squeak I mentioned in an earlier post? Turns out my sealed cartridge bottom bracket isn't so sealed after all. It squeaks like a 69 Dodge Dart with a loose fanbelt! Time to do a drivetrain overhaul, methinks. Gonna look around online and see if those Shimano sealed BBs can be overhauled or not. [late edit: Never mind that. One of the local bike shops had the right BB in stock, and a new chain. Happiness is a new drivetrain!]

Anyone else planning on doing Tour de Tow?

Last edited by mrz80; 09-02-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 07:05 AM
mrz80
Luddite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrz80
...the horrendous squeak I mentioned in an earlier post? Turns out my sealed cartridge bottom bracket isn't so sealed after all.
Well don't I feel silly. Turns out the lock ring was loose, but so crusted over with road grime that I couldn't tell it was loose. When I pulled the BB out of the bike it was just fine. Cleaned it up, reinstalled it, and no more squeaks.
Old 09-19-17, 02:12 PM
RonH
Life is good

Did my first ride today since Irma. The temperature was very comfy. Fall is right around the corner, I hope.
Took the Litespeed and rode from the house on the "dreaded" county bike trail to the Withlacoochee Trail to see what things look like. I rode south on the Withlacoochee Trail for about 3 miles and saw lots of downed trees and large limbs that had been cut up and moved to the side of the trail.
Then I headed north. About 1/2 mile north of the Hernando trailhead the trail was clear. I saw almost no signs of downed trees, limbs, etc. I guessing the trail is clear from Hernando to the north end, which is my usual ride.
Rode a total of 23.5 miles with only one "almost" close call on the county trail about 1.5 miles from the house. Thus the term, "dreaded" county trail.

Old 09-20-17, 01:26 PM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode yesterday for my last ride before a the 68 Mile route of the Big Dam Bridge 100 in Little Rock, this weekend. Tried some neighborhoods near my apartment that are on a golf course. Man... there were steeper hills there than I could've imagined. Within 30 minutes of starting I felt like I was running out of gas. Taking the next several days easy before my race Saturday. Total ride last yesterday was a little over 17 Miles of hills.
Old 09-20-17, 06:31 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Got in 20 mi. today. God awful muggy! Would have sworn it was 90F! 😕
Old 09-21-17, 01:14 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Got in 20 mi. today. God awful muggy! Would have sworn it was 90F! 😕
It was muggy in Michigan? Its getting cooler and less humid here.

Anyway, rode to the north end of the trail and back. No downed trees or big limbs anywhere near the trail. They were all 10 feet or more off the trail.
Did my usual ride of 23 miles.

Old 10-05-17, 02:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The weather has been great since the passing of the "storms" and before the next one hits. I have ridden 4 of 5 days this month, so far. I intend to try and keep that up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.