Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Returning to training after Mononucleosis

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 11:21 AM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis on 1/19, Doc said that I had most likely had it for a few weeks prior, which would explain the fatigue. I've been off of any training, weights, riding, or running, for a full month now. I got clearance from my doctor last week to return to exercise, extremely slowly. He said maybe 20-30 minutes on the trainer at an easy gear, a few times a week, AT MOST.

My concern is that I'm beginning new job training to be a police officer at a local department on 3/26. There will be PT just about everyday and I will start the academy in early May, where the PT will but even more intense. So I NEED to get some of my cardio back ASAP.

Has anyone ever had experience coming back from Mono? I know I'm under a time crunch for training, but what were your experiences in regaining your cardio vascular fitness?
Old 02-19-18, 10:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you're about to enter academy training you must be fairly young, mid-30s or younger. You can probably recover relatively quickly from mono. But in time for May? Maybe, if you're in your early 20s. You'll need to be very careful and emphasize rest and recovery as much as workouts. Get followup checkups ASAP if you feel dragged down again.

Based on a similar experience at that age -- Hepatitis A, got it from my kids who got it in daycare -- I needed six months to fully recover. That was back in 1981 or '82.

I was in my mid-20s, already in excellent physical condition. I'd just been discharged from the Navy and was very physically active, training for boxing, playing racquetball daily and commuting by bike daily. I was taking a full load at college and working 20-30 hours a week. I had to drop some classes and cut back on work for a few weeks.
Old 02-21-18, 01:05 PM
theHomelessJedi

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Allez Sport w/ Shimano Sora Comp.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're correct. I am 29, and am recovering very quickly according to my Doctor. So far, I've only done a couple shorter Zwift freerides. Keeping my heartrate in zone 2 or low zone 3.

Next week I'm going to add one "extremely" light Starting Strength lifting workout (we're talking not much more than an empty bar) and maybe one short Zwift ride depending on how I feel. The weather in Arkansas is acting really bipolar lately, so I can't really count on being able to ride outside just yet. I'm mainly focusing on getting my cardio back before I start adding pushups, situps, chinups, etc. That will be another week or so away.

The fatigue hasn't really been a problem so far this week. I'm making sure to get a minimum of 8 hrs sleep, more if I get sleepy early while watching the Olympics. After almost a month off of work, I am pretty well adjusted back to a normal work schedule.
Old 02-21-18, 09:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Best wishes. And as Sgt Phil used to say, be careful out there.