Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For Campy Fans

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

For Campy Fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 10:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene

then again I’m not sure I see a $2k value difference between this bike and the SLX with Ultegra Di2?
Apples vs Oranges
Old 06-26-18, 11:15 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

then again I’m not sure I see a $2k value difference between this bike and the SLX with Ultegra Di2?
Therein lies a philosophical argument in fact. To me, my opinion, the single biggest challenge to Campy's foothold as ultimate groupset manufacturer is Shimano's Di2. Yes, Campy makes electric shifting as well. Point being, an argument can be made...or rather, I will make it. that Ultegra Di2 is more desirable than any mechanical Record or SR groupset from Campy. Not everybody will agree. Forget 12s for a moment which some believe almost to be irrelevant and simply suck more money from the consumer. When going $2K into a consumer's pocket and making a choice, say I had to make this choice today, I may give the nod to Ultegra Di2 over Campy anything for its cost/benefit. That from a mechanical Campy rider. And will say further, I spent a summer ago on DA mechanical and that confirmed to me that Campy is still king of mechanical groupsets. But electric shifting changes the landscape. My next groupset may well be Ultegra Di2 versus Campy mechanical. I likely won't spring for pricey Campy EPS...but economics are such that Ultegra Di2 makes a lot of sense if looking for great groupset performance per dollar.
My thoughts.
Old 06-26-18, 11:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Apples vs Oranges
how so. Same frame. Both disc. Both have deep carbon clinchers and same cockpit
Old 06-26-18, 11:37 AM
noodle soup

how so. Same frame. Both disc. Both have deep carbon clinchers and same cockpit
Same frameset, and tires. Everything else is different.
Old 06-26-18, 05:41 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
For me, the "Ribble" brand doesn't just have no cachet, it actually has negative cachet -- meaning I'd be ashamed to ride it, just as I would be ashamed to ride a bike branded "Nashbar." Having said that, I once bought a Scattante with the intention of spray painting out the name, but after a few rides, the name ceased to bother me. Then the bike got stolen anyway.
Of course.. the question comes down to how many thousands you want to pay for bragging rights.
Old 06-27-18, 01:21 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Campagnolo 12-spd isn't an improvement for me. I like cassettes with a tightly spaced gear range(12-25t 11-spd), and Campagnolo doesn't offer a cassette like that.
I do as well but depending on the terrain in which you live or ride often, a 12-25 or 11-25 does not cut it. I have a lot of 12% and greater grade and even with a compact crankset, I need more low gearing than a 25 provides. For that reason, I ride an 11-27, 11-29 and 12-30 but I put an 11 on it rather than the 12. The new 12 speed with an 11-32 or what ever it is would only make sense to me if I were really hitting a lot of very steep stuff with long assents. I have not put my hands on the new 12 speed levers but I would bet that they feel great, just as my 11 speed Campy does. Am I ready to upgrade? No reason to unless money is burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 06-27-18, 01:39 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I do as well but depending on the terrain in which you live or ride often, a 12-25 or 11-25 does not cut it. I have a lot of 12% and greater grade and even with a compact crankset, I need more low gearing than a 25 provides. For that reason, I ride an 11-27, 11-29 and 12-30 but I put an 11 on it rather than the 12. The new 12 speed with an 11-32 or what ever it is would only make sense to me if I were really hitting a lot of very steep stuff with long assents. I have not put my hands on the new 12 speed levers but I would bet that they feel great, just as my 11 speed Campy does. Am I ready to upgrade? No reason to unless money is burning a hole in my pocket.
What size chainrings do you use?
Old 06-27-18, 02:37 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
...I likely won't spring for pricey Campy EPS...but economics are such that Ultegra Di2 makes a lot of sense if looking for great groupset performance per dollar.
Street price on Chorus EPS is only a few hundred dollars more than 8050 Di2. Different story if you're talking about disk brakes where there is basically no comparison.
Old 06-27-18, 03:42 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Therein lies a philosophical argument in fact. To me, my opinion, the single biggest challenge to Campy's foothold as ultimate groupset manufacturer is Shimano's Di2. Yes, Campy makes electric shifting as well. Point being, an argument can be made...or rather, I will make it. that Ultegra Di2 is more desirable than any mechanical Record or SR groupset from Campy. Not everybody will agree. Forget 12s for a moment which some believe almost to be irrelevant and simply suck more money from the consumer. When going $2K into a consumer's pocket and making a choice, say I had to make this choice today, I may give the nod to Ultegra Di2 over Campy anything for its cost/benefit. That from a mechanical Campy rider. And will say further, I spent a summer ago on DA mechanical and that confirmed to me that Campy is still king of mechanical groupsets. But electric shifting changes the landscape. My next groupset may well be Ultegra Di2 versus Campy mechanical. I likely won't spring for pricey Campy EPS...but economics are such that Ultegra Di2 makes a lot of sense if looking for great groupset performance per dollar.
My thoughts.
I was in this boat until about a week ago while trying to decide on a new group. I was seriously considering going to 8050 Di2 rather than Campy. However I decided to stick with my gut and stay with Campy mechanical. I'm currently on 2014 Chorus and love it such that I'm going to go to either Chorus on 11s Record. In fact, I'm ordering parts tomorrow. I just felt that Ultegra, even though it's Di2, is everywhere and I wanted something different. People look at my bike now and see that it has Campy on it and then really take a second look at it. I love it. Not to mention the fact that Campy is just so frickin good!
Old 06-27-18, 03:50 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by BigPoser
I was in this boat until about a week ago while trying to decide on a new group. I was seriously considering going to 8050 Di2 rather than Campy. However I decided to stick with my gut and stay with Campy mechanical. I'm currently on 2014 Chorus and love it such that I'm going to go to either Chorus on 11s Record. In fact, I'm ordering parts tomorrow. I just felt that Ultegra, even though it's Di2, is everywhere and I wanted something different. People look at my bike now and see that it has Campy on it and then really take a second look at it. I love it. Not to mention the fact that Campy is just so frickin good!
Why not Chorus EPS?
Old 06-27-18, 04:09 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Why not Chorus EPS?
I did consider that as well. but once I decided on Campy, the price difference was too much for me, even Chorus EPS.
Old 06-28-18, 08:21 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

I am running a full compact with 50/34. Now, when I lived in Michigan, I ran a 53/42 and an 11/23 cassette. When I moved to Utah, on went some compact chain rings and an 11/25. Here in Czech Republic, there are some good hills and as much as I would like to not be using a full compact for some down hill speed, I would rather get up those hills first! Oh yea, I am 60.
Old 06-28-18, 08:24 AM
Fox Farm

Originally Posted by BigPoser
I would agree. I keep on trying to talk myself into electric shifting, and sure, it is nice stuff, but not necessary. I came from bike racing in the 1970s with friction down tube shifting and yes, dual controls were an amazing improvement, just as were clipless pedals and much of the rest of the technology that exists today. I guess if I do go with electronic I will wait for Campy to release their wireless version.
Old 06-28-18, 08:54 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I am running a full compact with 50/34. Now, when I lived in Michigan, I ran a 53/42 and an 11/23 cassette. When I moved to Utah, on went some compact chain rings and an 11/25. Here in Czech Republic, there are some good hills and as much as I would like to not be using a full compact for some down hill speed, I would rather get up those hills first! Oh yea, I am 60.
In my area there isn't anything I can't climb with a 34x25 gear(mostly 6-8% grades). In Fountain Hills AZ there's a little hill that's 18%, and the last time I climbed that using 39x25.

I'd rather struggle on .1% of my riding, and have ideal gearing on the other 99.9%.
Old 06-28-18, 01:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
50/34 crank and 12-30 cassette. I use all of my gears. I frequently spin out the 50:12, sure I could use a bit higher there. I'd rather be able to get up crazy stuff. I can tuck and coast faster than pedaling usually gets me so it's fine.

I thought the 11 was essential (with a 53) when I was racing. Probably youthful ignorance more than necessity.
Old 06-28-18, 02:23 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I frequently spin out the 50:12, sure I could use a bit higher there.
Wow. 50/12 is ~50 mph at 150 rpm. I need a pretty big hill to go that fast.
Old 06-28-18, 02:28 PM
noodle soup

Wow. 50/12 is ~50 mph at 150 rpm. I need a pretty big hill to go that fast.
where do you get the 150 cadence?
Old 06-28-18, 02:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

where do you get the 150 cadence?
pidooma
Old 06-28-18, 02:52 PM
noodle soup

pidooma

I had to google that.

I love 50/34 with a 12-25t cassette, but once I’m at 40mph in a DH, I’m fine with tucking. In flatland sprints, I never spin-out 50x12.
Old 06-28-18, 02:55 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I love 50/34 with a 12-25t cassette, but once I’m at 40mph in a DH, I’m fine with tucking. In flatland sprints, I never spin-out 50x12.
same here on all counts.