Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Topeak Rack Measurement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Topeak Rack Measurement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 11:15 AM
kovacsa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Topeak Rack Measurement

Hi All, I'm looking for a quick measurement of the distance between the mounts on either of these two racks. If you could spare a few minutes to give me a quick measurement, that'd be great, thanks!

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...orer-(non-disc)

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...er-tourist-fat
Old 06-23-19, 12:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Within a few cms the drop out eye width and the rack width can vary WRT each other. When installed the rack will simply flex to fit the frame. Now if the change of rack strut width is a lot the rack's strut eyes won't sit flush against the frame. Some gentle bending of that last couple cms of strut will align the rack eyes with the frame's and all will tighten up far more nicely. I also find the need to twist/bent the rack's stay struts frequently. Lastly I sometimes need to add a stand off/spacer between the rack and frame eyes to provide clearance between the rack strut and the frame's stay ends. Andy (who installed 4 racks last week at work)
Old 06-23-19, 12:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Note that on your 2nd rack that the sides curve.
Not desirable if you hang baskets because the outer part of the basket will be tilted up.
Bill (who bought the wrong rack last week)