Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sidewall blowout on GP4000SII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sidewall blowout on GP4000SII

Old 06-26-19, 12:23 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
Yep, still my favorite tires and totally dependable for me.
Old 06-26-19, 01:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Maybe someone here has experience with tire manufacturing. I'm trying to figure what would be the cause of the often cited "bad batch" of tires. Variations in weaving the fabric seem unlikely. The rubber coating is protective but irrelevant unless the sidewall is compromised externally. What specifically could cause the sidewall to spontaneously explode? Maybe some tire company has addressed this?
Old 06-26-19, 01:40 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
One thing that isn't in dispute here is that some other tires are in fact more durable than GP4ks, like Gatorskins. That being the case, people who are concerned should test ride some gatorskins to see if they can even notice a difference. I know the GP tires save watts and are lighter and are more supple bla bla bla, and I also know some of us actually can feel a difference, but not everyone can and for the people who don't even notice that they're on the more durable tire, why not just stick with those? They're cheaper to boot. One of our local Cat 1 fast dudes who wins all the regional crits trains and races exclusively on gatorskins, so it's not like you're suddenly riding around on blocks of ice if you switch.
Old 06-26-19, 03:41 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I gotta say, I really don't believe for a second that GP4000s have some sort of inate and consistent design flaw that causes them to randomly and catastrophically fail more often than other tires of similar construction. They're about the most common and appreciated go fast tire available on the market.

What I find MUCH more likely is that because the GP4000 is the most common go fast tire out there...sometimes when someone has a sidewall issue of any kind, it goes up on the internet as some grand conspiracy theory. Just like when sidewalls blow out on other tires. Except, there are a lot MORE GP4000s in circulation, so you get more conspiracy theory stories online, and it is that absolute number people refer to when they claim "theres something up with these sidewalls OMG!!!"

Occams Razor. Simplest answer is probably the right one. And, the simplest answer is most definitely NOT some weird, yet unresearched and unknown design flaw that mysteriously make SOME peoples GP4000s catastrophically flimsy, while others go thousands of miles.

The simple answer is there are a LOT of these tires on the road, so you have correspondingly more failures.
Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 06-26-19, 05:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I gotta say, I really don't believe for a second that GP4000s have some sort of inate and consistent design flaw that causes them to randomly and catastrophically fail more often than other tires of similar construction. They're about the most common and appreciated go fast tire available on the market.

What I find MUCH more likely is that because the GP4000 is the most common go fast tire out there...sometimes when someone has a sidewall issue of any kind, it goes up on the internet as some grand conspiracy theory. Just like when sidewalls blow out on other tires. Except, there are a lot MORE GP4000s in circulation, so you get more conspiracy theory stories online, and it is that absolute number people refer to when they claim "theres something up with these sidewalls OMG!!!"

Occams Razor. Simplest answer is probably the right one. And, the simplest answer is most definitely NOT some weird, yet unresearched and unknown design flaw that mysteriously make SOME peoples GP4000s catastrophically flimsy, while others go thousands of miles.

The simple answer is there are a LOT of these tires on the road, so you have correspondingly more failures.
Stop it! Logic is not allowed on this forum!
Old 07-30-19, 09:17 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I wish I had seen this post earlier. I can attest to the crappy sidewalls. I discovered a tear during a pre-ride inspection. I noticed my tire was extremely low in pressure. I spun the tire around and found a torn and bulging sidewall. Live and learn.

'Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice...not gonna happen, even with your new gp5k"
Old 07-30-19, 11:00 PM
arizonamed

Bikes: CAAD10

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m done with this line of tires after having two premature sidewall failures in less than a year. I’m on Vittorias now that are half the price and fortunately enough for me I’m a plebian and can’t tell any difference in feel.
Old 07-30-19, 11:37 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I strangely recently had the chords to a gp400II that I used on the front shift and had all of 150 miles on it. Conti's QC certainly has not been good as of late.
Old 07-31-19, 03:21 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I blew the bead off of a Gator Hardshell a couple of years ago. About 75 miles from new. No indication of any damage to the tire before it blew.

I did manage to get the tire booted well enough to get 20 miles to the nearest bike shop, but, it was a tough boot with about 2" of bead loose.
Old 07-31-19, 05:50 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
This is the kind of post that makes the internet hot garbage. Statistics are a real thing. If you can’t show a statistically viable sample size, your observations have no credibility. And they are that, observations and opinions. You state them as facts.
I would argue that a collection of anecdotal evidence like we have here is of value. I am running 4000s on two of my bikes. I love them. I don't intend to strip them off and toss them, but when replacement time comes I'll find a tire where there's not a substantial collection of anecdotal evidence that there may be sidewall issues.

What makes the internet a hot mess is defensive, argumentative people who insist anything short of peer reviewed scientific study is a hot mess.
Old 07-31-19, 06:17 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I would argue that a collection of anecdotal evidence like we have here is of value. I am running 4000s on two of my bikes. I love them. I don't intend to strip them off and toss them, but when replacement time comes I'll find a tire where there's not a substantial collection of anecdotal evidence that there may be sidewall issues.

What makes the internet a hot mess is defensive, argumentative people who insist anything short of peer reviewed scientific study is a hot mess.
Let me rephrase what I said earlier. A serious issue with Internet forum posts is a lack of context. It’s looking at a potential issue in a microcosm vs big picture. But there is no disputing that proper scientific statistical analysis is the only way to know if there are widespread statistically significant issues. Me reporting that my GP4000S experience has been trouble free means nothing.
Old 07-31-19, 07:07 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
And if I suffer a 50 mph sidewall blowout, crash, am paralyzed, then die a painful death choking on my own blood in agony, and leave a grieving wife and five orphaned children ... this is also meaningless. As they say, "Row, row, row your boat, life is but a dream." Sidewall blowouts are really just mind over matter. If you don't mind, they don't matter.

Seriously though, I own at least six pairs of GP4000II's. They're great tires, but I know if I take a big hit from a rock or pothole, there's a good chance of sidewall damage. So I keep this knowledge in mind and am a little more careful on these. Performance always comes at a cost, in this case, the thin sidewalls provide good handling, but reduced protection. I'm willing to take this risk, but I like to be aware of any inherent drawbacks in the design of the tire.

Or we can all just bury our heads in the sand, retain absolute brand loyalty, and shoot any messenger who claims their experience with the product was less than 100% satisfactory.
Old 07-31-19, 09:02 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
And if I suffer a 50 mph sidewall blowout, crash, am paralyzed, then die a painful death choking on my own blood in agony, and leave a grieving wife and five orphaned children ... this is also meaningless. As they say, "Row, row, row your boat, life is but a dream." Sidewall blowouts are really just mind over matter. If you don't mind, they don't matter.

Seriously though, I own at least six pairs of GP4000II's. They're great tires, but I know if I take a big hit from a rock or pothole, there's a good chance of sidewall damage. So I keep this knowledge in mind and am a little more careful on these. Performance always comes at a cost, in this case, the thin sidewalls provide good handling, but reduced protection. I'm willing to take this risk, but I like to be aware of any inherent drawbacks in the design of the tire.

Or we can all just bury our heads in the sand, retain absolute brand loyalty, and shoot any messenger who claims their experience with the product was less than 100% satisfactory.
Yep, I try to take it easy on all my tires but I do ride on rough, cracked, holey, chipseal so they still take a beating. Maybe it helps that I'm a solo rider so if I hit a pothole or whatever it's only because I'm not paying attention. I run and love these Conti's because for me they are so dependable. In August I'll be doing the Strava climbing challenge so that means lots and lots of miles descending on bikes with these tires in the 40-50 mph range. Not worried about it at all. Also not worried though it using a bike with Veloflex tires on it. I guess if I lived in fear of the tires blowing I'd use nothing but tubulars so that they stay on the rim if they blow at speed.
Old 07-31-19, 10:25 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

The problem with anecdotes is they are dependant on the number of experiences. Gp4ks are one of the most popular road tires. Anyone that has ever picked up a Victoria corsa speed tlr would be able to objective say the sidewall is even thinner and more fragile. If everyone riding gp4000s suddenly switched to that tire i would confidently say we'd see more anecdotes of blowouts. Ive had multiple racing buddies shred them in the first 500 miles. So some of us can see why anecdotes are flawed and how a more fair comparison can be made like say bicyclerollingresistance sidewall thickness and puncture tests
Old 07-31-19, 10:25 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have a pair in the bin, waiting for the Open Paves to wear out. I resisted long and hard, due to all the anecdotal evidence and then found some on closeout. So I'm risking only $33 per tire, instead of twice that. The open Paves are holding up for a much longer period of time than expected.
Old 07-31-19, 10:31 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Tire, rim & spoke failures have a lot to do with the rider; how much they weigh, how heavy they ride and how often they ride thru chaff, cracks, bumps or holes. I've got a couple friends that don't weigh more than a buck fifty and they are HARD on equipment. The reason? They can't see a church bus on Sunday. If it's in the road they're hitting it with their elbows locked leaning on the bars and their butts planted firmly in the saddle.

Maybe this particular brand IS prone to sidewall failures but every road bike I ride regularly has them and I've never had one. That's not to say that it can't or won't happen in the future; that's just MY anecdotal experience. I let fly when I descend and if a tire fails and it gets me, it gets me. No matter how careful you are, you're gonna die. That said, no matter how bad these tires might be, if you use them, you're probably gonna die from something else.

Last edited by nomadmax; 07-31-19 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-19, 10:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I have ridden perhaps a half dozen Contis over the years. Enough bad results (that weren't my doing) to keep me away from them forever. By contrast, I've ridden probably over 100 Vittorias. Yes, a few have had issues and there has been a couple of runs of bad tires (over 20 years of my riding them but overall, I love their consistent quality. Yes they flat much more often than Contis. They also grip better. I am happy to patch 20 flats if they keep my skin off the pavement once. (I've lost enough for this lifetime.)

Ben
Old 07-31-19, 11:03 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
It is hard to say. When one has one sidewall/bead failure, is it just bad luck, or is it something with the tire brand?

But, in my case (Gator Hardshell), the only thing I could think of that would have contributed to the failure was mounting and inflating the tire at night, then riding on a hot day (moderate over-pressure?)

I didn't feel I was at risk of death, crashes, etc. But, the failure was a huge annoyance. Self-supported, flat, in the middle of a ride, and 20 miles from the nearest bike shop.

Going beyond the one rider, it seems as if there are enough anecdotal failures that there likely is something to weak sidewalls with the Continental tires which appear to be worse than many other brands.

Nonetheless, I like the general hard wearing of the Gator Hardshells.
Old 07-31-19, 06:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts

Seriously though, I own at least six pairs of GP4000II's. They're great tires, but I know if I take a big hit from a rock or pothole, there's a good chance of sidewall damage. So I keep this knowledge in mind and am a little more careful on these..
And they're great tires why exactly?
Old 07-31-19, 08:19 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
They ride excellent on mountain roads. Nice and light going uphill, great grip and perfect handling going downhill. Good roundness and balance. My favorite tire for high speed descents.

There's a heck of a lot to like about the tires, they're just a little fragile, so try to baby 'em to the extent you can. I like my Panaracers too (Pasela and Gravel King) but don't have as many miles on them yet, so the jury is mostly still out.
Old 08-01-19, 12:05 AM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
In my particular case, I think my sidewall ripped during a descent. I think the tire flexed too much. I'm 160lbs and I had my tires aired to 105/110psi. I ride on mostly smooth road. My descents have switchbacks and I'm hitting 30-38mph. I like to trail/late brake. The tear is perpendicular to the sidewall and in a jagged fashion. It looks like it just ripped from lateral pressure.
Old 08-01-19, 04:02 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
In my particular case, I think my sidewall ripped during a descent. I think the tire flexed too much. I'm 160lbs and I had my tires aired to 105/110psi. I ride on mostly smooth road.
That's way too much pressure. At your weight you should be around 85PSI (on 23c tyres)