Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The case for bike lanes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The case for bike lanes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-19, 08:40 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Eek! "Walkies" on a bike. So "dangerous!"

-mr. bill
Old 06-23-19, 09:47 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can show you bike lanes and paths around the Boston area that go pretty much unused by anyone. I can also show you ones that are some of the liveliest parts of town. These things aren't all created equal. Design and location need to be done right.
Then I'm glad that in my city, somebody is doing something right in spite of the usual complaints.
Old 06-24-19, 03:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Then I'm glad that in my city, somebody is doing something right in spite of the usual complaints.
Don't get me wrong, Boston has done some great things really well. But comparing the geography of Boston to Toronto, there's just a lot more places in Boston where sharrows make more sense than segregating.
Old 06-24-19, 08:43 PM
Daniel4

Don't get me wrong, Boston has done some great things really well. But comparing the geography of Boston to Toronto, there's just a lot more places in Boston where sharrows make more sense than segregating.
Sharrows don't make a lot of sense to me. They are supposed to indicate to motorists that this road is a preferred road for cyclists and that motorists have to share.

But that's redundant because ANY road a cyclist is riding on, motorists have to share.

The particular road in Toronto that has a sharrow is so congested, motorists really can't drive on it without having to change lanes for the parked cars anyways. Many times, I'd just take the entire lane or weave past all the traffic until I reach that protected bike lane I was headed for on Bloor Street.
Old 06-24-19, 08:54 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
On the roads where they've used sharrows here I think it really does improve driver attitudes.
Old 06-24-19, 09:07 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Eek! "Walkies" on a bike. So "dangerous!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oppn7U_g31k

-mr. bill
Ugh, I hated that Vassar street bike lane and my worst dread was someday being ordered to use it. In part because it felt so unnecessary in my vehicular cycling youth, in part because its absurd positioning not only up the curb but completely on the wrong side of the sidewalk was utterly incompatible with making a mid-block left into campus to park for work.

Today I'd probably appreciate it.
Old 06-24-19, 09:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Ugh, I hated that Vassar street bike lane and my worst dread was someday being ordered to use it.
I do not understand the fear of must use when we don’t even have frap here.

At least Metropolitan is IRE PROOF.

-mr. bill
Old 06-24-19, 09:37 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by mr_bill
I do not understand the fear of must use when we don’t even have frap here.
...these words don't mean to a thing to me 'cause I'm an engineer

At least Metropolitan is IRE PROOF.
Glad to hear at least some things endure. I hear they tore down building twenty though (ok, was still there to see that, but it still was a shock, had only been in planning since the end of WWII)
Old 06-25-19, 02:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Sharrows don't make a lot of sense to me. They are supposed to indicate to motorists that this road is a preferred road for cyclists and that motorists have to share.

But that's redundant because ANY road a cyclist is riding on, motorists have to share.

The particular road in Toronto that has a sharrow is so congested, motorists really can't drive on it without having to change lanes for the parked cars anyways. Many times, I'd just take the entire lane or weave past all the traffic until I reach that protected bike lane I was headed for on Bloor Street.
Sharrows are one of the few things that turn out to be better in practice than they sound in theory. I could see if there's only one such street in the city, it probably would not be that effective, but that hasn't been my experience. I don't know if you're familiar with Boston, but it might be the least rationally laid out street system of any major city in North America. There's a lot of major streets that are just too narrow and irregularly routed to be able to retrofit with a bike lane. What I have noticed is that the sharrows, which are all over the place, seem to have retrained drivers not to freak out when a bike takes the lane. It also helps with the crazy 5 and 6 way intersections that Boston has so many of to be sitting in one of the lanes rather than trying FRAP in a context where people already have too many lanes to keep track of. You get honked at or otherwise harassed much less for doing this when there's sharrows.

Basically, they're good driver education tools.
Old 06-25-19, 11:12 AM
Daniel4

As long as what works to get new people safely onto their bikes, there shouldn't be a problem.

In Toronto, bike lanes work. Sharrows seem to be marginally better than any confident rider on any street.
Old 06-25-19, 12:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
As long as what works to get new people safely onto their bikes, there shouldn't be a problem.

In Toronto, bike lanes work. Sharrows seem to be marginally better than any confident rider on any street.
Marginal is a good term. Sharrows are far from the perfect solution (motorist still drive into crosswalks), but they do increase awareness, as they serve as visual reminders of the cyclist right to the roads.
Old 06-26-19, 10:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sharrows are one of the few things that turn out to be better in practice than they sound in theory. I could see if there's only one such street in the city, it probably would not be that effective, but that hasn't been my experience.

Idon't know if you're familiar with Boston, but it might be the least rationally laid out street system of any major city in North America. There's a lot of major streets that are just too narrow and irregularly routed to be able to retrofit with a bike lane.

What I have noticed is that the sharrows, which are all over the place, seem to have retrained drivers not to freak out when a bike takes the lane. It also helps with the crazy 5 and 6 way intersections that Boston has so many of to be sitting in one of the lanes rather than trying FRAP in a context where people already have too many lanes to keep track of.

You get honked at or otherwise harassed much less for doing this when there's sharrows.

Basically, they're good driver education tools.

In 2015 I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Two years ago we visited Toronto and when riding on Yonge St. I realized how valuable were those simply painted bike lanes we have in Boston; Toronto had none.

Later on that visit, I met a cyclist and we exchanged tales of riding in our mutual cities. He told me about Rob Ford’s vehement anti-cycling stance.
… he asked me how Boston compared, and I had to admit urban riding in TO was a lot scarier than in Boston.

In comparing notes, he blamed it on the Mayor, who "drove an SUV," while I praised our mayor for his commitment to cycling, and even hired a former Olympic cyclist as a "Bicycling Czar." It seems our Hubways Bike-Share system is doing well, while your Bixi Bikes is having some difficulty.

Nonetheless, I was impressed with the number of cyclists I saw....
One of the big changes in the Boston cycling scene over the past couple years has been the interest that [the late] Mayor *****o has taken in bicycling, and he has appointed a bike czar, introduced several cycling lanes in those above-mentioned areas in the heart of the city, and instituted a bicycle sharing system, called “Hubway,” particularly centered in the downtown and surrounding neighborhoods.

(Boston is known, besides Beantown, as the Hub of the Universe )

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-26-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-26-19, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Cities vary so much in their geography, it isn't surprising that some things work better in one than the other--just for comparison, the city centers are linked below:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...!4d-71.0588801

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yo...!4d-79.4077558
Old 06-26-19, 01:45 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sharrows are one of the few things that turn out to be better in practice than they sound in theory...

Idon't know if you're familiar with Boston, but it might be the least rationally laid out street system of any major city in North America. There's a lot of major streets that are just too narrow and irregularly routed to be able to retrofit with a bike lane.

What I have noticed is that the sharrows, which are all over the place, seem to have retrained drivers not to freak out when a bike takes the lane...
You get honked at or otherwise harassed much less for doing this when there's sharrows.

Basically, they're good driver education tools
FYA, @livedarklions, I had earlier on this thread quoted a post to The Metro Boston Regional Discussion Forum this past March:
Just this morning on the 6-7 AM segment of the Jeff Kuhner talk show on WRKO, he discussed proposals by mayor Marty Walsh to decrease the speed limit in Boston to 20 mph, and increase the number of bus and bike lanes.

He was vehemently against it, as were many of the callers, with snide comments about cyclists.

I called in as Jim from Boston “speaking for "Boston’s cycling community”....I made two points: bicycles are entitled to be on the road, and the more cyclists, the fewer other cars, and the more parking spaces available.

Jeff was pretty gracious, but I (accidentally) got cut off. ...

I sent a rebuttal text to the station, FWIW
:
...Before I got cut off I was going to make my third point that cyclists are ultimately responsible for their own safety, and I agree with your subsequent comments about cycle-auto collisions.

In the “cycling community” there are two schools of thought about riding in traffic: As Far Right as Possible: close to the curb; or Take the Lane to be out there and visible to cars. Bike lanes encourage the former behavior, likely more tolerated by motorists.

Bike lanes are not that wide, but then cyclist is in the “door zone” in danger of opening doors from parked cars.
Old 06-26-19, 01:50 PM
Daniel4

Cities vary so much in their geography, it isn't surprising that some things work better in one than the other--just for comparison, the city centers are linked below:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...!4d-71.0588801

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Yo...!4d-79.4077558
It's hard to tell whether bike lanes or bike routes work just by looking at a map. How could you tell that by looking at Amsterdam and Copenhagen without actually being there? Same with New York City. I'm sure there remains the standard critics of NY bike lanes but there is growth of cycling since NYC traffic had been redesigned.

By looking at a map of downtown Toronto, could you have seen the strong criticism that the planning of bike lanes had attracted? Only by installing those bike lanes as pilot projects have they been shown to be popular. It's the same argument you hear everywhere and I'm sure what was stated in Toronto is still being said in Boston. It's not over. The vote for Yonge Street in North York has been postponed because city council was split. The Mayor wants to move the planned bike lanes over to a side street west of Yonge so not to disrupt the traffic flow from the suburbs to the highway.

So I went on Youtube to look at some bike lanes in Boston. Well, I'm sure a few videos don't show what you're trying to explain but they look ok to me except that some of them seem to run down the middle of the road.
Old 06-26-19, 02:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's hard to tell whether bike lanes or bike routes work just by looking at a map. How could you tell that by looking at Amsterdam and Copenhagen without actually being there? Same with New York City. I'm sure there remains the standard critics of NY bike lanes but there is growth of cycling since NYC traffic had been redesigned.

By looking at a map of downtown Toronto, could you have seen the strong criticism that the planning of bike lanes had attracted? Only by installing those bike lanes as pilot projects have they been shown to be popular. It's the same argument you hear everywhere and I'm sure what was stated in Toronto is still being said in Boston. It's not over. The vote for Yonge Street in North York has been postponed because city council was split. The Mayor wants to move the planned bike lanes over to a side street west of Yonge so not to disrupt the traffic flow from the suburbs to the highway.

So I went on Youtube to look at some bike lanes in Boston. Well, I'm sure a few videos don't show what you're trying to explain but they look ok to me except that some of them seem to run down the middle of the road.
I should have been clearer--I was showing the city center of Boston, which is such a hodgepodge of small and large streets intersecting each other at odd angles to show somewhere sharrows are the most appropriate solution. There are plenty of places in Boston where bike lanes and paths work just fine, but there are others where the sharrow really has improved things. Toronto is more of a standard grid pattern, where I can see how sharrows wouldn't seem as useful.

One of the biggest challenges in riding and driving in the Boston area is that the streets are often laid out in different schemes where current or former city boundaries are or were. This gives you intersections with crazy multiple angles, and being off to the side of a lane when going through one of those is just not a good idea--the drivers can't easily keep track of all the other car lanes, adding a bike lane just increases the complexity.
Old 06-28-19, 07:58 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Son_Rising
My wife got hit by a car while commuting to work Wednesday morning during daylight. She's okay, a little bruised up, but okay. For now she's stopped riding her bike though.
That's horrible! Glad to hear she is okay, and hope the ability and/or confidence return soon, maybe some relaxed park / trailway rides...

The driver of the SUV said they didn't see her. She was wearing a bright yellow jersey and had a 5 LED Cateye flashing tail light on at the time. Her flasher sits atop a white milk crate secured to her rear rack! The driver was obviously distracted by something. I'm not sure a bike lane would matter to a distracted automobile driver.
That's the basic argument for physically protected lanes. They indeed constrain everyone's options, to constrain their errors. You still have to exercise extreme vigilance at the intersections (in a way, even more than you do when in traffic), but in between the danger is something you can control by choosing a speed that gives the reaction time you need. It works pretty well for more relaxed cyclists not packing all that much kinetic energy to begin with, it doesn't work very well for those who want to ride at the speed of automobile traffic.
Old 06-28-19, 05:09 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Son_Rising
My wife got hit by a car while commuting to work Wednesday morning during daylight. She's okay, a little bruised up, but okay. For now she's stopped riding her bike though. The driver of the SUV said they didn't see her. She was wearing a bright yellow jersey and had a 5 LED Cateye flashing tail light on at the time. Her flasher sits atop a white milk crate secured to her rear rack! The driver was obviously distracted by something. I'm not sure a bike lane would matter to a distracted automobile driver.

Recently Bike Virginia came thru our region with about 2000 cyclists. We saw cars gunning to pass them. We saw near head on collisions by cars trying to pass bikes. We also saw some bad riding technique including weaving, double yellow line crossing and cyclists running 3 abreast in traffic. Some of the riders reported approximately 6 severe accidents during the event including a cyclist they said was "sucked under a semi truck". Wow! Hope they're okay.
Where have I heard that before. Was there something in the car that distracted him, or were they driving around with their eyes closed? Either way unless shop popped out from behind the bushes, they're still liable.

Anyway, its good to hear that she's OK. Just try and get her back on the bike as soon as possible. Baby steps if you have to. Just don't let this one unfortunate incident sink in and put her off from cycling. Of course, that's a decision only the two of you can make.