Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The greatest bike ride that never happened!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-01-05, 07:36 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For Christmas the wife, mother-in law and I brought our 4 year Grand daughter a 16" bike with training wheels. I promised her the first time she came to the house after Chriatmas I would take her for a ride, well today was that day.

I went out this morning with my normal Saturday Riding group, did 35 miles. Then came home got her into her Barbie helmet, knee pads and wrist pads. I had originally wanted to ride with her, her on the sidewalk, me in the street, as her mother had told me she rides a similar bike at her moms house. But as it turned out she did not have the leg strength to go more than a few feet under her own power. So I walked along side her bike holding the handle bars to keep the bike straight while she pedaled. It was the greatest time I've ever had with a bike. Can't wait till she comes to Bop Bop's houses again, so we can ride together again!!!
Old 01-01-05, 09:11 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My G-daughter, 4 yrs old lives in Florida. Lovely wife and I are going down in march. Hope it works out as good as it does for you! I'm sure lookin forward to it.
Old 01-01-05, 09:13 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Baron,

I hope you are as fortunate.
Old 01-03-05, 03:28 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No Grandchildren yet, but plenty of neighbours kids. I set up a new bike for a neighbours 4 year old, stabilisors and Pink. Just what the girl wanted. Same problem though, and no leg strength. I can't blame the bike as within 8 weeks she is the terror of the neighbouhood. Stabilisors are gone but I now have a problem as she wants Disc brakes, just like her Uncle Doug. (Me) so she can go for a bike ride with me and get covered in mud just like I do.
Old 01-03-05, 06:08 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know my grand daughter maybe ready for that one day, but I'm not sure if I am.

I am looking forward to the day we can actually ride together. Unfortnately, I think it will take more than 8 weeks as we only get to see her once a week or so.
Old 02-07-05, 04:15 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Grandbaby turns 2 this weekend. I am waiting for the day I can take this girl on a bike ride, especially if Grammie and Grampie are the ones to buy her first bike.
Old 02-07-05, 04:32 PM
Steve Katzman
Cat 6

Bikes: Scott CR-1, Serotta Legend, Serotta CR, Co-Motion Speedster tandem, Masi Nuevo Strada fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a small tricycle for my 17 month old grandson at a garage sale a few months ago. I cleaned it up and lubricated it and it now works and looks good. I started sitting him on the seat and pushing it around with his feet resting on the pedals about 3-4 months ago. He must like it because now when he comes to the house, he frequently points to the room where the trike is kept. When I take it out he loves to sit on it and be pushed around. He hasn't yet mastered the skill of propelling himself using the pedals, but it probably won't be too much longer. I am looking forward to the day. I love how happy it makes him. Takes after his grampy (and grammy) in that respect.
Old 02-07-05, 06:45 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The feeling is great. I think it help adds to the grandparent / grandchild bonding. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.