Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Got a Strange Siirus Question

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 07:09 PM
koreyjsz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so I have been looking around a lot going through many bikes and I find a few that I like, one of which is the Specialized Sirrus Disc which is currently on sale for an awesome price at my LBS for $475 until the 17th. The problem though is that the graphics on this bike are horrible, I mean just look at it! It comes in that weird orange color or black, idk maybe the website isn't prototyping the color correctly and I cant view one in person either. Does anyone know if those decals that are on it are removable i.e. sticker decals?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.jpg (91.9 KB, 17 views)
PR3E5958_mlg.jpg (94.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-22-16, 07:16 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
No idea...but a dealer would know.
Old 03-22-16, 09:26 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No idea...but a dealer would know.

Might be able to tell better from this picture. I'd go for the black.

I've owned a few Specialized bikes and my daughter has a Vita (women's version of the sirrus). Specialized has made questionable choices as far as graphics go but I will say that the finishes on their bikes are excellent. Unfortunately for you that means these probably aren't stickers you can just peel off. They will have clear coated over them.

To be honest, I like orange bikes. Yellow wouldn't be a bad accent color but it doesn't work so well in this case. Would have been OK if it wasn't spotted. The nearly invisible specialized logo doesn't do it for me either. Overall, it's still a nice liking bike and it might be one of those things that looks better in person.

Last edited by tjspiel; 03-22-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-22-16, 10:34 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by koreyjsz
Ok so I have been looking around a lot going through many bikes and I find a few that I like, one of which is the Specialized Sirrus Disc which is currently on sale for an awesome price at my LBS for $475 until the 17th. The problem though is that the graphics on this bike are horrible, I mean just look at it! It comes in that weird orange color or black, idk maybe the website isn't prototyping the color correctly and I cant view one in person either. Does anyone know if those decals that are on it are removable i.e. sticker decals?
That orange looks horrific.

Contrast that to the orange on Trek's 7.4FX that they call Firebird.

Attached Images
Firebird 7_4 FX.jpg (52.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-23-16, 12:18 AM
koreyjsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you tjspiel that picture has a much better contrast than what Specialized shows. Dont get me wrong I do love an orange frame but I was questionable about what I saw and because this bike is the 2nd lowest in the Sirrus line I was not able to find much on the web; apparently I did not look hard enough. I know that orange is a tricky color to capture in a picture correctly but one would think that a manufacture would portray their product better.

I'm gonna drop by my LBS again and see if these decals are removable or not, hopefully they are as I am not loving the spotted design and if not I will have to move on.

On a side note how does one post a picture that large on here?
03-
Old 03-23-16, 02:02 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm gonna drop by my LBS again and see if these decals are removable or not, hopefully they are as I am not loving the spotted design and if not I will have to move on.
Decals are almost always under clearcoat, specifically so that they aren't removable. Keeps the branding intact. Second only to suing other bike companies, Specialized is all about branding. Making nice bikes comes in at third place.

On a side note how does one post a picture that large on here?
The trick is don't upload them from your computer to the site, reference them from a third-party location on the web. In other words, in the Insert Image dialog box, instead of the "From Computer" tab, use the "From URL" tab and uncheck "Retrieve remote file and reference locally".

The downside is that if the pic at that web address ever disappears, it can also no longer be seen in your post, which explains missing photos in old posts, like in the Pics of Your Commuter thread.
Old 03-23-16, 04:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
If this is going to be your commuter bike, you can wrap the frame with inner tubes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-23-16, 05:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don't find the graphic design objectionable at all. At least it has one, unlike for example a Bikes Direct product. It's more sedate than the graphics on my 02 Hardrock. I am not a huge fan of that color, and that would indeed send me to a different bike or a different trim level. I like blue, personally.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-23-16, 05:29 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel

Might be able to tell better from this picture. I'd go for the black.

I've owned a few Specialized bikes and my daughter has a Vita (women's version of the sirrus). Specialized has made questionable choices as far as graphics go but I will say that the finishes on their bikes are excellent. Unfortunately for you that means these probably aren't stickers you can just peel off. They will have clear coated over them.

To be honest, I like orange bikes. Yellow wouldn't be a bad accent color but it doesn't work so well in this case. Would have been OK if it wasn't spotted. The nearly invisible specialized logo doesn't do it for me either. Overall, it's still a nice liking bike and it might be one of those things that looks better in person.

I like the orange it's okay; however, I really liked the yellow they used a few years back. Mine is a base model '07 that red and the graphics are "Normal" not wrapped down the middle of the down tube.
Old 03-23-16, 06:18 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
As I mentioned, I've owned a few different Specialized bikes. Most of them I got used for a good price. I would have been just as happy with an equivalent Trek, Giant, Fuji, or whatever.

While the graphics on that bike may not appeal to you, they have at least toned it down a bit over the last few years. My 2005 Spec road bike has "Specialized" emblazoned on the down tube, seat tube, seat stays, stem, and fork blades. That's 10 "Specialized" logos on one bike.

Every morning you're visually assaulted with 5 of those logos on just one side of the bike as you get on it. And in case you've forgotten what kind of bike it is after 10 minutes of riding, it's written on the stem cap too so you can be reminded every time you look down.
Old 03-23-16, 07:42 PM
koreyjsz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm back from my Specialized LBS and the graphics are part of the finish and I also checked what the navy blue version looks like on their catalog which is much more pleasing look with the main logo being black on a grayish blue frame and in person the spotted design is not that bad honestly. Now I have decided to increase my budget to somewhere 800-1000 as I did not like how heavy this bike was. My LBS only has the non-disc version in stock and that bike was much heavier than my fully suspended bike I own which is crazy. Disc brakes are a must for me and I want a fitness/commuter bike so I can stop using my mtb bike I have to commute around town lol.
Old 03-23-16, 08:04 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I don't find the graphic design objectionable at all. At least it has one, unlike for example a Bikes Direct product. It's more sedate than the graphics on my 02 Hardrock. I am not a huge fan of that color, and that would indeed send me to a different bike or a different trim level. I like blue, personally.
Hey, I love the sherbet orange of my new Moto 29er hardtail so much I named him 'Bert'!