Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adventure crank 46-30

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Adventure crank 46-30

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-17, 03:40 PM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Adventure crank 46-30

Hi all!

Really need some help too lower my gearing befor some touring in the summer.
Fsa has some cranks
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,4,29
And is it possible with a 11-36 back?
This is my bike specs https://road-bikes.gearsuite.com/l/29...us-Comp-Carbon
Which parts do I need to buy to make this happen?
When touring am not in it for speed, I have the time to enjoy without eny rush. And lower gearing will also let enjoy climbing a little bit more when loaded.

Cheers
Old 02-17-17, 04:08 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Crank is a bb386 Evo crank so should work with most frames but you might need an adapter, I'm not sure what kind. I have trouble keeping up with all the different BB standards FSA throws at us.

The crankset doesn't care what kind of cassette you have, so they're compatible. But your rear derailleur might not be able to handle an 11-36. Assuming your bike has Tiagra components, it might work but I have no personal experience with it. I know Shimano is pretty conservative on their max cog specifications. Otherwise, Wolf Tooth makes a Road Link that allows you to use road derailleurs on wide range cassettes.
Old 02-17-17, 04:40 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Honestly, that's a chunk of change to spend for a pretty marginal improvement. This shows the differences assuming a 50/34 crank and 11-32 cassette for the stock bike. If you are going to spend that kind of money, why not get something that provides good low gears?

You can get a Shimano Deore Trekking crankset here for about $75. You'd need a a new front shifter for a triple but those run $75 for the both front and rear or about $50 for just the front. You'll also need a triple front derailer which are cheap, especially if you buy the cheaper but better Shimano FD. Another $25 to $30. You still are ahead of the 2x crank that you linked to.

Here's the comparison of the triple to your stock system with the same cassette. If you compare the stock triple with an 11-32 to the 2x crank with an 11-36, you still end up with a better low gear. The beauty of the triple is that you can change out the inner ring for a 22 tooth gear which lower the gears even further. And you can still go to a 34 or 36 tooth cog on the cassette to lower gears even further.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-17-17, 11:12 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You'll need a 386evo bb for your frame--I'm pretty sure it's BSA threaded. Aside from that, X7 derailleurs are compatible with a 36T cog, but with this combination you'll need the long cage version (Spec doesn't mention exactly what your bike has).

I agree that I'd probably just get a triple crankset, FD, and shifter of more ordinary quality rather than a high end carbon road crankset.
Old 02-18-17, 02:48 AM
Lt Stonez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Honestly, that's a chunk of change to spend for a pretty marginal improvement. This shows the differences assuming a 50/34 crank and 11-32 cassette for the stock bike. If you are going to spend that kind of money, why not get something that provides good low gears?

You can get a Shimano Deore Trekking crankset here for about $75. You'd need a a new front shifter for a triple but those run $75 for the both front and rear or about $50 for just the front. You'll also need a triple front derailer which are cheap, especially if you buy the cheaper but better Shimano FD. Another $25 to $30. You still are ahead of the 2x crank that you linked to.

Here's the comparison of the triple to your stock system with the same cassette. If you compare the stock triple with an 11-32 to the 2x crank with an 11-36, you still end up with a better low gear. The beauty of the triple is that you can change out the inner ring for a 22 tooth gear which lower the gears even further. And you can still go to a 34 or 36 tooth cog on the cassette to lower gears even further.
My sirrus only have a doble 50-34 (11-32) and cost os not a problem. Am ready for some touring on my bike as it is, but Norway is hilly and it would have been nice with lower gearing. Maybe use stock crank and fit a 34 cassete would do the job? At the wourst hills around here some times I use the lowest gear and just make it slowly up the hills unloaded.
Adding 6-7kg when touring it wount make it better
Old 02-18-17, 08:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,213 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt Stonez
My sirrus only have a doble 50-34 (11-32) and cost os not a problem. Am ready for some touring on my bike as it is, but Norway is hilly and it would have been nice with lower gearing. Maybe use stock crank and fit a 34 cassete would do the job? At the wourst hills around here some times I use the lowest gear and just make it slowly up the hills unloaded.
Adding 6-7kg when touring it wount make it better
I think you missed my point. The FSA double you linked to costs too much for too little return. It's not that much different from what you have now. The triple set up I proposed give a whole lot more range for less money. Basically, the double is just a slight sideways shift while the triple takes gearing to another level.

I'm a bicycle tourist as well (look in my sig line) and know a thing or two about gearing. My touring bike uses a 46/34/20 with a 11-34 cassette. Here's the comparison to your stock gearing. As you can see where your low gears end, mine are just getting started.

My lowest gear isn't going to set speed records but I can...and have... pedal up anything that the Appalachian or Rocky Mountains can throw at me. On the plus side, I can also fly down the other side of those climbs
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-18-17, 09:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There is a huge thread on 46/30 cranks with an amazing amount of info. Definitely worth reading..I'm looking at the FSA Adventure cranks as well as the Praxis or Sugino 46/30 for a Di2 gravel build this spring.

Note to the OP, many are waiting for that FSA crank to hit the shelves. It is available as an OEM part on some factory built bikes but not as an orderable standalone part as yet. FSA has pushed back the availability date several times. The Bike24 site linked says "Delivery time unknown" so it looks like a preorder.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-18-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-18-17, 09:21 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
There is a huge thread on 46/30 cranks with an amazing amount of info. Definitely worth reading..I'm looking at the FSA Adventure cranks as well as the Praxis or Sugino 46/30 for a Di2 gravel build this spring.

Note to the OP, many are waiting for that FSA crank to hit the shelves. It is available as an OEM part on some factory built bikes but not as an orderable standalone part as yet. FSA has pushed back the availability date several times. The Bike24 site linked says "Delivery time unknown" so it looks like a preorder.

-Tim-
As evident from the referenced thread, many of us have been riding cranksets within the 42/24 - 46/30 range for years, while the dumba$$es who don't know better than waste their money on expensive stuff are still "waiting for that FSA crank to hit the shelves".

Cheers!
Old 02-18-17, 10:18 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by IK_biker
As evident from the referenced thread, many of us have been riding cranksets within the 42/24 - 46/30 range for years, while the dumba$$es who don't know better than waste their money on expensive stuff are still "waiting for that FSA crank to hit the shelves".

Cheers!

What is evident is that you have nothing useful to post but prefer to shoot off your mouth and insult people.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-18-17 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 05:34 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Lt Stonez, If you are wishing to lower your gear range regardless if you're touring on the bike or not, then perhaps the expense is worth it. 7 kg isn't considered a heavy load in the touring niche.

I don't know if I'd pin my hopes on a crank set that may, or may not, become available to the general public in time for your tour. That's your call.

Brad
Old 02-19-17, 07:53 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I think you missed my point. The FSA double you linked to costs too much for too little return. It's not that much different from what you have now. The triple set up I proposed give a whole lot more range for less money. Basically, the double is just a slight sideways shift while the triple takes gearing to another level.
I fully agree with you on this. My old bike with its 105 triple gearing was the best-geared bike I've ridden. I spent 95% or more of my mostly flat riding on the 39-tooth middle ring, only using the other two for going up and down the steeper hills. When hills got harder as I aged, I swapped the inner ring for a 24-tooth and I was all set (this was all with the standard 12-27 cassette). Of course, it didn't shift on and off that gear too well, but I think I only dropped the chain once.

The other advantage of a triple IMO is that you can still run a close-ratio cassette, which is what allowed me to cruise so well on the middle ring. I've now been riding compact cranks with wide-ratio cassettes (e.g., 12-36 10-speed) and find that I am often hunting for the "right" gear ratio for my riding conditions, with too many 3-tooth spreads at the rear.
Old 02-20-17, 03:24 AM
Lt Stonez

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also found this one on sale
Sugino OX601D Road Bike Crankset For Shimano 9 10s 46-30 175mm
46-30 w11-36(34) casset will have lower gearing than 50-34 w 11-32 right?
Yes I will use this crank mostly when touring.
Old 02-20-17, 08:50 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Praxis makes them as well.

See the post at https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...road-bike.html.

The problem is figuring out which bottom bracket works with which crank/frame.
Old 02-27-17, 05:41 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The problem is figuring out which bottom bracket works with which crank/frame.
I have the Sugino OX601D 46-30. It came with a Sugino-branded external BB that is interchangeable with Shimano Hollowtech.

Unfortunately the outer chainring isn't compatible with anything and only seems to be sold individually in Japan. It's essentially a giant middle chainring with the counterbore for the bolt holes on the inside.

Apologies if this was already mentioned in the other thread.
Old 02-27-17, 12:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No experience with that one, but if... it you and the bike were in front of me & my Bike Shop Friends We could figure it out..

USA, Compass cycles, Seattle, has a posh copy of a classic French design..

White Industries, made in Cal, has the outers with 5 machined slots , so they have a variable bolt circle..

You buy the crank + a 46 outer and a 30 inner and "Bobs your Uncle".

you can get Classic TA Cyclotourist cranks too, a 26t is their minimal size, any thing bigger . "Byu" again.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-27-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-28-17, 01:10 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
The crankset you linked to is expensive. I want it for my road bike, but here's something that may be more in line with what you are after for less money. Now I just have to find it for sale somewhere....

I wrote FSA because I want it for my commuter bike SO MUCH...h... and got this reply.:

Hello Curtis,

No worries, the ETA for the 170mm Mega Exo type Omega 46/30t cranks has been set at 4/24/2017. Which means they will be available for sale about 4-5 business days after. Use the below part # to place an order for a set around that time via most bike shops. You will what to find out what bottom bracket standard Motobecane used. The below Omegas fit and come with an BSA (English) threaded bottom bracket.

330-0158BJ3261 Omega Adventure ME 46x30 N10/11 170mm SB black V17 w/o BB,CK-4002ST/WT $ 156.99 retail.

Hope this helps,
Old 04-28-17, 01:47 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jeeeze why the heck would you spend so much on such an overpriced crankset? If you want low gears, buy a triple. Heck, buy a triple and take off the outer ring and you'd probably still end up spending less...
Old 04-28-17, 02:18 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I like how bikeforums is the only place on the internet where anyone still advocates for triples.
Old 04-28-17, 02:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
I've been told that there's only a few locals in our country (USA) where new bike customers ask for triple crank low gearing. New bike supplying is the crank manufacturers' biggest customer. So after market availability is lost if OEM market is reduced.

I agree with cyccommute as to low gearing and triple cranks being a far better answer. But us old guys learned to spin to get speed. Like old racers say (and I'm no racer...) if you want to go faster pedal faster. Andy
Old 04-28-17, 02:39 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Jeeeze why the heck would you spend so much on such an overpriced crankset? If you want low gears, buy a triple. Heck, buy a triple and take off the outer ring and you'd probably still end up spending less...
Tell me again, which 11s indexed road brifters have a triple left shifter?

TIA

(PS-that is why)
Old 04-28-17, 02:51 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I would suggest that if you can use a triple, you should. (I just put an Athena triple on a bike about 6 months ago).

I put a White Industries 46/30T on my "gravel" bike (11-32 in the back). Basically it gives me about 1 lower gear at the expense of the 50/11 that I never used). The nice thing about the WI crank is you can put whatever sized rings on it that suit you. It works great with an 11-speed Di2 setup, fwiw. You can get it with a 30mm axle/bb or square taper.

The price mades the FSA option look like a real bargain, however (should it ever appear on the market).
Old 04-28-17, 02:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Tell me again, which 11s indexed road brifters have a triple left shifter?
Campy Athena.

There are likely others.
Old 04-28-17, 02:58 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by wgscott
Campy Athena.

There are likely others.
That would probably be it.

Shimano 105, Ultegra (mech/Di2), Da (mech/Di2) are all double-only. SR/Record/Chorus/Potenza are doubly-only.
Old 04-28-17, 03:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
That would probably be it.

Shimano 105, Ultegra (mech/Di2), Da (mech/Di2) are all double-only. SR/Record/Chorus/Potenza are doubly-only.
My inner ring on that triple is a 30T, so it really doesn't improve the low gearing relative to a 46/30T double (and it has a Campy pricetag, and I think it is now out of production).

The XT(R) Di2 is available in triple, fwiw.
Old 04-28-17, 03:07 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by wgscott
My inner ring on that triple is a 30T, so it really doesn't improve the low gearing relative to a 46/30T double (and it has a Campy pricetag, and I think it is now out of production).

The XT(R) Di2 is available in triple, fwiw.
Which could work...so long as you're using all XTR derailleurs, with R785 brifters. BUT...Shimano recommends (Just repeating it here, never tried to push it) a max 34-38 top chainring gear with that FD. So the 40-ish/30-ish/20ish touring triples people want-are still no bueno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.