Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Escape from L.A.

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Escape from L.A.

Old 06-10-19, 09:22 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Escape from L.A.

I've never been to L.A. I think I would've liked to visit it at a time when they still had inner city orchards there, like in the film "Sunset Boulevard".

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...to-the-bottom/

The LA Times paywalled the story it wrote on L.A.'s typhus, garbage and rat problem, but it is captured at the above link for the most part.

Anyone else been there recently?
Old 06-10-19, 09:43 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
L.A. used to have only small pockets of homelessness, but it seems like its grown over the last 20 years to the point where its now everywhere. The are you're probably thinking of is actually two areas about 5 miles apart - downtown L.A. and Hollywood. I take out of town relatives up there for a look and they tend to be shocked at what it actually looks like.

Downtown LA is where the skyscrapers are, and those house offices and some hi-end condos. Get away from the glitzly towers and down to the street level and you'll see lots of homelessness and poverty. The 'Skid Row' where the homeless really congregate, and the typhus outbreak was found, are just southeast of that area. I have no reason to go 'downtown' and never will again.

Hollywood has a few bright spots for the tourists alsong Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood blvd, etc, but beyond those spots its a lot of homeless on the streets. Hollywood and Vine has both a luxury 5-star 'W' hotel and homeless sleeping around the dilapidated Capitol Records bldg. (it really needs an rebuild!). The Hollywood and Highland area (where the Oscar ceremony is held and where the Chinese Theater is located) is also nice, but just a few blcoks away and its also got a lot of street people. There are still rich houses in the Hollywood hills above the area, but the more famous 'commercia' areas are dumps and only getting worse. The 'stars' in the sidewalk are everywhere around there, not just in on area, and some are in bad shape.
Old 06-11-19, 07:28 AM
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
The first time I saw L.A. was in the early 80's, and I saw it from the air.......at first I thought it wasn't that very big, until I later realized that I was viewing Santa Monica, then the plane banked over to make an approach to LAX, and then I said "Holy ****!
Old 06-11-19, 08:05 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Great movie. Snake Plisken is the bomb...

Anywho, haven't personally been to LA since ~85. Worked with a national moving company and had to move a person out of a ritzy area near Hollywood, where all the shops are...the name of that area won't come to me. Even then and at that age I was absolutely stunned by both the sprawl and air quality issues.
Since then I have come to find that my dear nearest giant suburb, Atlanta, has probably surpassed that.
Old 06-11-19, 08:17 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Los Angeles city covers a vast sprawling area. It's one of the geographically largest cities in the country. Back before construction technology knew how to account for earth movement from earthquakes there were building codes which limited building height, so the city grew sideways instead of up such as it did in New York. Anyway, there are a LOT of homeless in various parts of So. Calif. these days, but it's not just LA proper that has a problem. There is a large % of these people that don't want help either due to mental illness or drug abuse usage. The CA government is tone deaf regarding the real problem and keeps harping on the same losing argument that the problem traces to the lack of affordable housing. Not true, for the most part. LA has huge budget issues that trace back to massive pensions for retired employees as well as poor spending plans. The LA Unified School District has an abysmal graduation rate despite high cost per student spending. And on and on it goes. Oh, and the mayor wants to be President.

Last edited by Nessism; 06-11-19 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 08:21 AM
dynodonn 
Senior Discount Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Snake will have an even harder time escaping today.......... Hell, since I first visited LA and the Greater Los Angeles area in the early '80s, it has a added almost 8 million people, that's basically dropping today's New York City in the mix, Snake will have to double duty to Escape from LA and New York at the same time.

In looking at the satellite photo, today's Greater LA, at it's widest, it's one continuous sprawl for 75 miles, from the coast line to San Bernardino.
Old 06-15-19, 08:00 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2808 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
L.A. used to have only small pockets of homelessness, but it seems like its grown over the last 20 years to the point where its now everywhere. The are you're probably thinking of is actually two areas about 5 miles apart - downtown L.A. and Hollywood. I take out of town relatives up there for a look and they tend to be shocked at what it actually looks like.

Downtown LA is where the skyscrapers are, and those house offices and some hi-end condos. Get away from the glitzly towers and down to the street level and you'll see lots of homelessness and poverty. The 'Skid Row' where the homeless really congregate, and the typhus outbreak was found, are just southeast of that area. I have no reason to go 'downtown' and never will again.

Hollywood has a few bright spots for the tourists alsong Sunset Blvd, Santa Monica Blvd, Hollywood blvd, etc, but beyond those spots its a lot of homeless on the streets. Hollywood and Vine has both a luxury 5-star 'W' hotel and homeless sleeping around the dilapidated Capitol Records bldg. (it really needs an rebuild!). The Hollywood and Highland area (where the Oscar ceremony is held and where the Chinese Theater is located) is also nice, but just a few blcoks away and its also got a lot of street people. There are still rich houses in the Hollywood hills above the area, but the more famous 'commercia' areas are dumps and only getting worse. The 'stars' in the sidewalk are everywhere around there, not just in on area, and some are in bad shape.
It growing in all the major cities across the U.S. and LA is no exceptions. As they gentrify old neighborhoods, and even as the rich are getting richer. There's only one block between luxury condos and skid row.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 06-15-19, 08:23 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I still get a kick out of friends who come to LA and want to see Hollywood. I always ask them "why"? There's nothing to see either there or downtown. The only reason I would ever go even close to downtown would be for a concert or dinner. Even then I would have to know there was available safe parking and it would not involved any walking around before or after the event. It's really a shame to see how bad things have gotten over the past 45 years. I remember back in the mid 70's we would go the The Whiskey or Madam Wong's West to listen to some bands. It was a little sketchy back then but no where near as scary as it is today.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 06-15-19, 08:42 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
I came to LA, with my family, in 1968. It was a bad smog year and my eyes watered, continuously, for weeks. Then winter came and it rained, rained and rained some more.

But I fell in love with the city. It was big, it was nasty and it was rough around the edges. For a young, however, it was the perfect setting for all sorts of boyhood adventures and fantasies.

Flash forward nearly 20 years later and the bigness, nastiness and roughness lost their allure.

So I picked up and moved my family to the open spaces and clean living of Ventura County.

I’ve had many job offers that made returning to LA very tempting...but no way I will ever return.

LA is still an exciting place to visit, but not to live.

Especially if you are a cyclist, anything north of LA is the place to be. Few places compares to rinding the Gold Coast from Ventura to SLO.
Old 06-15-19, 08:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
Los Angeles city covers a vast sprawling area. It's one of the geographically largest cities in the country. Back before construction technology knew how to account for earth movement from earthquakes there were building codes which limited building height, so the city grew sideways instead of up such as it did in New York. Anyway, there are a LOT of homeless in various parts of So. Calif. these days, but it's not just LA proper that has a problem. There is a large % of these people that don't want help either due to mental illness or drug abuse usage. The CA government is tone deaf regarding the real problem and keeps harping on the same losing argument that the problem traces to the lack of affordable housing. Not true, for the most part. LA has huge budget issues that trace back to massive pensions for retired employees as well as poor spending plans. The LA Unified School District has an abysmal graduation rate despite high cost per student spending. And on and on it goes. Oh, and the mayor wants to be President.
Mayor Yoga Pants Garcetti will NEVER be POTUS. His negatives are too high.

In a recent survey Angelenos were the most stressed out people in the country.
Old 06-15-19, 08:58 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I still get a kick out of friends who come to LA and want to see Hollywood. I always ask them "why"? There's nothing to see either there or downtown. The only reason I would ever go even close to downtown would be for a concert or dinner. Even then I would have to know there was available safe parking and it would not involved any walking around before or after the event. It's really a shame to see how bad things have gotten over the past 45 years. I remember back in the mid 70's we would go the The Whiskey or Madam Wong's West to listen to some bands. It was a little sketchy back then but no where near as scary as it is today.
Wow, are you the sourpuss host or what? Do you mean to say you can't find anything interesting or nice to show your friends and family? I was downtown recently and there's plenty to do and see even if its just some leisurely time spent near the library or in the parks.

I think you may be confusing nostalgia with progress? I remember vision Hollywood 30 years ago when I was station in San Diego. From a none native perspective its a lot better atmosphere today than it was back then.

I'm referring particularly to TLC (Mann's) Chinese Theatre, and that area. Sure, it may be a more commercial area now, but its also a lot more progressive than it was back then.
Old 06-15-19, 09:03 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Another odd neighborhood on L.A. is the VEnice/Venice Beach area. The homeless, drug addicts, pot shops, and all kinds of oddball people there are part of the attraction of the place along the beachfront boardwalk (actually a paved sidewalk, not wood). Just in back of the beach is the community of Venice where you'll find homeless, and homeless in cars/motorhomes, sleeping on the streets next to multi-million dollar homes surrounded by walls and/or high shrubs. The residents of those homes complain about the homeless camping on the streets/sidewalks, the homeless advocates complain for more government $ervice$ to assist the homeless, and the L.A. City Council becomes flustered and does nothing about it (same for the downtown/skid row area where they had a typhus outbreak).
Old 06-15-19, 09:05 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Wow, are you the sourpuss host or what? Do you mean to say you can't find anything interesting or nice to show your friends and family? I was downtown recently and there's plenty to do and see even if its just some leisurely time spent near the library or in the parks.

I think you may be confusing nostalgia with progress? I remember vision Hollywood 30 years ago when I was station in San Diego. From a none native perspective its a lot better atmosphere today than it was back then.

I'm referring particularly to TLC (Mann's) Chinese Theatre, and that area. Sure, it may be a more commercial area now, but its also a lot more progressive than it was back then.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-15-19, 09:08 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
I came to LA, with my family, in 1968. It was a bad smog year and my eyes watered, continuously, for weeks. Then winter came and it rained, rained and rained some more.

But I fell in love with the city. It was big, it was nasty and it was rough around the edges. For a young, however, it was the perfect setting for all sorts of boyhood adventures and fantasies.

Flash forward nearly 20 years later and the bigness, nastiness and roughness lost their allure.

So I picked up and moved my family to the open spaces and clean living of Ventura County.

I’ve had many job offers that made returning to LA very tempting...but no way I will ever return.

LA is still an exciting place to visit, but not to live.

Especially if you are a cyclist, anything north of LA is the place to be. Few places compares to rinding the Gold Coast from Ventura to SLO.
True. I'd include Orange County, too (south of L.A). But Orange County is seeing an increase in homelessness and is becoming crowded (the recent movement to force the local government of Huntington Beach to increase its planned population densities so more dense housing, and thus increased population densities) so it'll probably take on some of the problems that L.A. County is facing and ignoring in the near future.

Last edited by skidder; 06-15-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 09:17 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Another odd neighborhood on L.A. is the VEnice/Venice Beach area. The homeless, drug addicts, pot shops, and all kinds of oddball people there are part of the attraction of the place along the beachfront boardwalk (actually a paved sidewalk, not wood). Just in back of the beach is the community of Venice where you'll find homeless, and homeless in cars/motorhomes, sleeping on the streets next to multi-million dollar homes surrounded by walls and/or high shrubs. The residents of those homes complain about the homeless camping on the streets/sidewalks, the homeless advocates complain for more government $ervice$ to assist the homeless, and the L.A. City Council becomes flustered and does nothing about it (same for the downtown/skid row area where they had a typhus outbreak).
They're doing something. But the homeless problem is immense, and requires many resources and a unified approach from government, businesses, and community if it is ever to be solved.

BTW, I hear Google is buying up Venice, including one of its most iconic landmarks Gold's Gym.

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia View Post
Mayor Yoga Pants Garcetti will NEVER be POTUS. His negatives are too high.

In a recent survey Angelenos were the most stressed out people in the country.
In all fairness, you can't really blame Spaghetti for that. LA has had its share of issues for a very long time. Long before Garcetti came into the picture. Long before.

To his credit, he has been key in getting many homeless veterans off the street. Although I don't have any experience in his other political matters.
Old 06-15-19, 09:19 PM
skidder
Cereal Killer

I take a lot of European relatives up there and they are really disheartened about how dilapidated the whole place is. They've been conditioned to expect it to be the land of milk and honey, and they see the reality of the place. Sure, the local governments are trying to keep up the tourist areas like Hollywood & Highland, and Hollywood & Vine, and the media studios in the area do a good job, too (Paramount is still in Hollywood, Universal Studios just up the 101 freeway), but the rest of it has gone downhill and can't even be justified as old buildings that are being maintained. Go up there one weekend and see the place for yourself; check out the Capitol Records building up close; go see where the Whiskey and Roxy nightclubs are along Sunset Blvd.; go to Venice, go to downtown L.A. on a weekend; its all sad what its become. I'll admit a lot of places around the L.A. proper are OK (Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Encino, Sherman Oaks, the west side of the San Fernando VAlley, Santa Monica, PAcific Pallisades, the SOuth Bay, PAlos Verdes, etc. but a lot of it is just not a pretty sight anymore.
Old 06-15-19, 09:54 PM
eja_ bottecchia

They're doing something. But the homeless problem is immense, and requires many resources and a unified approach from government, businesses, and community if it is ever to be solved.

BTW, I hear Google is buying up Venice, including one of its most iconic landmarks Gold's Gym.

In all fairness, you can't really blame Spaghetti for that. LA has had its share of issues for a very long time. Long before Garcetti came into the picture. Long before.

To his credit, he has been key in getting many homeless veterans off the street. Although I don't have any experience in his other political matters.
Hizzoner Yoga Pants pushed for the passage of Proposition HHH to raise money to house the homeless.

The 1.2B measure has been a dismal failure. The homeless population continues to grow with no real solution at hand.

Things are not looking up for the Mayor.

https://kfiam640.iheart.com/content/...g-los-angeles/

I miss the LA of my youth.
Old 06-15-19, 10:11 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I don't share the sentiment of disdain for downtown LA or Hollywood. I lived in LA ten years, and would routinely visit both, as well as many other parts of the city. Life is more interesting if you're willing to experience the positive things that less squeeky-clean areas have to offer.

Downtown you have the amazing LA library, the various mercantile districts, cool old theaters (now with tables of socks and denim jeans for sale in the lobby), the Grand Central Market where you can sample the street food of a dozen different cultures, Disney Concert Hall, and a lot more. Slightly on the outskirts of downtown there's the Museum of Natural History, the California Science Center where you can see a cool aquarium and the space shuttle. Filipe's sandwich shop; home of the original french dip (or so they claim), cool China town with its more authentic foods, though occasionally with their own so-cal vibe; jalapenos stir fried in with green beans? Sure, why not.

I do recommend not getting caught near the southern portions of Downtown in the evenings. After the shops close up there I can't think of any good reason to be in that part of town after dark.

In Hollywood there are many great little restaurants scattered throughout. There are often evening concerts, celebrations, and so on. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. And lots of sights to behold.

This is how LA is; rags and riches juxtaposed into the same sprawling but cramped quarters. Many cultures, a large variety of lifestyles, and so on.

Now, I did move away from LA, and totally by choice. But not because I disliked it. More because I preferred what is offered where I live now; closer proximity to the great outdoors, fewer people, a more relaxed lifestyle. But I still love to go back to LA, and enjoy visiting all the places mentioned in this thread as to be avoided.
Old 06-15-19, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 7974 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 121 Posts
One great big festering neon distraction
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim
Learn to swim
Learn to swim
Learn to swim

... I'll see you down in Arizona Bay.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-16-19, 10:09 AM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
The Joads weren't welcome when the reached California during the Great Depression, it sounds like things haven't changed.
Old 06-16-19, 04:59 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
All of the above is true but not unique to LA. Its also true for all major cities USA. LA's the biggest, so naturally you will see more what's wrong with the U.S there. In a word, massive inequality.

Last edited by KraneXL; 06-16-19 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-16-19, 07:53 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
All of the above is true but not unique to LA. Is also true for all major cities USA. LA's the biggest, so naturally you will see more what's wrong with the U.S there. In a word, massive inequality.
Inequality is not the cause of the city's problems. Corruption is. A good example is how much DWP workers make; there were 5071 workers that made more than $100k in 2012 (I can't find any newer data). DWP akes something like $250M in profit and then the city took takes it from them. Next thing you know DWP wants a rate increase to fix old pipes, which the city granted. See anything wrong there?
Old 06-16-19, 11:18 PM
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 63 Posts
Last time I was near LA in 2005 I camped at Joshua Tree NP saw the smog like a smokestack through a mountain pass. But anyways I like the LA Dodgers
Old 06-17-19, 03:17 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
love it or leave it. you can find nearly anything you want there. is it simultaneously maddening and seductive? yes.
does the city have major issues? yes. is it difficult to match/beat the food and kitsch/pop culture scenes? yes. name me a
city anywhere in the world that has more museums than la. i'll wait...traffic sucks of course because of car culture 101 but pick
a neighborhood or area to investigate. as another poster pointed out, it's big. i think it's actually the largest city in the world in terms of square mileage
but i hafta recheck my sources. hit any one or two of koreatown. weho. dtown. little tokyo/chinatown. wilshire corridor. westside.
sawtelle. fairfax/culver city. boyle heights. eagle rock/highland park/glendale. los feliz/silverlake/echo park. ocean park. alhambra. santa monica proper.
a****er village. toluca lake. monterey park. take the day/night and stroll around. catch a local band. watch a classic flick at a restored theater
from the golden age of hollywood. take the subway from hollywood to dtown with a stop in between. follow your nose. you just might be surprised.
you want open spaces? incorporate elysian park or griffith park along the way.

you can catch all those neighborhoods/districts and more just starting a ride from union station dtown and doing a 50 mile loop ride. faster than driving and
waay more satisfying. stop where you wanna. keep going in between taking pics. will you be crushing 20 mph+ for miles on end? no. will you
possibly take on more calories than you burn? likely. is it challenging and requires your attention at all times? yes. does it give you a different view
and appreciation of la? yes.

**edit...the censors have been reset from stun to kill. someone tell spock.

Last edited by ooga-booga; 06-20-19 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-17-19, 01:25 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
One of my friends inherited a place by Palo Alto. I know that's not considered LA, but it is in the area where the tech bubble has inflated prices to a ridiculous level. The house she inherited had been bought in the 50's and ended up selling for over $1,000,000 and it was a pretty basic house that sold for that much due to the location. We thought it was kind of crazy, but she made out really well and I'm glad she did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.