Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Old 04-27-19, 10:48 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I don't want to jinx myself but...3 days in a row riding and nothing hurts!!! I know, shouldn't be a big deal, but I've had some kind of pain for almost 2 years now in my knees and feet. I got some Rivendell sneaker pedals because someone suggested a wider pedal, even though my foot isn't wide or big, might be better than the touring pedals I was using. Since I do ride with my foot angled (walk that way too) the extra width support seems to have stopped the pain in the old fracture in my foot. And my knees have finally stopped swelling after my ride every day! Not entirely sure what to attribute it to - a combination of time, started taking collagen/HLA pills (someone here suggested the shots but I decided to try capsules first), and minor tweaks to my bike fit. It just feels so GOOD to be able to ride and not be thinking "oh this is gonna hurt later". Hopefully it lasts and I'm not jumping the gun so to speak based on just a couple days. I've only been taking the HLA/collagen a few weeks but I think I'll stick with it unless things get bad again...maybe it really does work, who knew???
Old 04-28-19, 08:47 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I don't want to jinx myself but...3 days in a row riding and nothing hurts!!! I know, shouldn't be a big deal, but I've had some kind of pain for almost 2 years now in my knees and feet. I got some Rivendell sneaker pedals because someone suggested a wider pedal, even though my foot isn't wide or big, might be better than the touring pedals I was using. Since I do ride with my foot angled (walk that way too) the extra width support seems to have stopped the pain in the old fracture in my foot. And my knees have finally stopped swelling after my ride every day! Not entirely sure what to attribute it to - a combination of time, started taking collagen/HLA pills (someone here suggested the shots but I decided to try capsules first), and minor tweaks to my bike fit. It just feels so GOOD to be able to ride and not be thinking "oh this is gonna hurt later". Hopefully it lasts and I'm not jumping the gun so to speak based on just a couple days. I've only been taking the HLA/collagen a few weeks but I think I'll stick with it unless things get bad again...maybe it really does work, who knew???
Happy for you. Might as well go for 4 in a row.
Old 04-28-19, 09:25 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Happy for you. Might as well go for 4 in a row.
Thank you. I love this forum, I've gotten some great tips that have helped immensely. Nothing is better than no agenda on a gorgeous Spring day with a fine riding bike and zero discomfort!!
Old 04-29-19, 04:39 PM
USN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aches and such

Originally Posted by linberl
My wife and I exercise a few days a week with a video DVD, simple stretches and balance movements help with aches,,Im 73 and she is 60. Biking helps here osteoarthritis in her knees and she rides now like the wind...
Old 04-29-19, 07:13 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by USN
My wife and I exercise a few days a week with a video DVD, simple stretches and balance movements help with aches,,Im 73 and she is 60. Biking helps here osteoarthritis in her knees and she rides now like the wind...
Yeah, stretching is key. I'm doing it daily now, especially the IT band and my piriformis. I'm glad cycling helps your wife's knees. I thought it would be good for mine, but apparently I managed to injure both meniscuses (meniscusii??). The second one seems to have finally healed up and now I'm focused on prevention (which I probably should have been all along, dumb me). I did get a cadence sensor to focus more on easier rotations rather than mashing for speed. The things we learn....even as we get LOTS older, lol. Keep on riding =).
Old 05-06-19, 05:21 PM
oldfatboy

Bikes: Trek Verve 3, Schwinn Mountain Sidewinder

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Hello all.
I'm 66 yrs old. New to the forum.
Used to ride then got rid of bike due to some physical conditions. Gained weight and got sick of that
Now, I work out on a rowing machine, then do bike riding around town. When stronger, will ride the bike paths between neighboring towns.
Old 05-06-19, 08:08 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by oldfatboy
Hello all.
I'm 66 yrs old. New to the forum.
Used to ride then got rid of bike due to some physical conditions. Gained weight and got sick of that
Now, I work out on a rowing machine, then do bike riding around town. When stronger, will ride the bike paths between neighboring towns.
Welcome aboard.
Old 05-06-19, 09:17 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Hey oldfatboy, that's the spirit. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-07-19, 07:44 AM
oldfatboy

Thank you for the welcome
Old 05-07-19, 10:27 AM
LesG

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 12 Posts
Welcome and I might add we have a somewhat similar story... got a rowing machine in the basement and, after 20 something years, I got back into cycling about a year ago at 69 yrs old. One thing though, ride enough and you may have to change your forum name to oldskinnyboy.
Old 05-07-19, 03:51 PM
oldfatboy

Originally Posted by LesG
Welcome and I might add we have a somewhat similar story... got a rowing machine in the basement and, after 20 something years, I got back into cycling about a year ago at 69 yrs old. One thing though, ride enough and you may have to change your forum name to oldskinnyboy.
Thank you and I hope so

Today I worked out on the rowing machine for 45 minutes, then after a short break, took a 7 mile ride on the Verve 3.
Old 05-13-19, 06:56 AM
Alloyboy

Bikes: Empire 3 speed. Resolution Get away mtb. 10 speed.Sekine. No rco. Mountaineer SL.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome oldfatboy and LesG mentioned "oldskinnyboy". That describes me.....112 lbs and I have never been more than 125/130 in the 1960's. Regards to one and all.
Old 05-14-19, 04:41 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
New Geezer From Greensboro, NC

Forgive me if you're reading this a second time. I posted it in the Introductions thread.

Hi I'm Jac Grimes from Greensboro, NC. I'm 65 years old and have ridden MTBs for years along with a stent on a recumbent but have not been on a bike for about 20 years until last May.

So here's my return to the saddle story. Last May when I dropped below 300 lbs I decided to start riding again. I bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Mako from a friend. I brought it home and just barely made it around my apartment complex. That's 0.3 of a mile. I thought I was going to die. I changed the seat, put some bar ends on it and persisted. At the end of the riding season I was regularly riding 5 to 6 miles. Not too bad for a fat boy on a mountain bike.

As my friend got ready to leave the state he sold me a better although older bike. I liked it but the frame was just too big. (Short legs). So it went on marketplace and craigslist and I ended up trading for a smaller frame bike of about equal value. I liked it a lot but the smaller frame felt crowded. I never could get comfortable. So I sold it to my son in law.

After 2 false stars I started researching new bikes. I figured I would get one I liked that fit and sell the 1st one. So off to Trek of Greensboro for a couple test rides. I looked at 2 hybrids, a DS2 and a Verge and a mountain bike, Marlin 5 and decided on the Marlin but a 6. It was a close call between the Marlin and the DS. So I ordered one on Friday and was told it would be a week. So I posted the Mako on my FB page and sold it yesterday to another friend and professional colleague.

Just for some perspective you must understand that FaceBook marketplace is the devil. Since I had made my decision wouldn't you know that a much better equipped like new hybrid, DS 8.5 popped up on my feed. For $100 less than the new Marlin 6 I had ordered. But did I really want a hybrid or a MTB? The seller and I started chatting and just as I had decided to pass he said he was leaving town tomorrow and dropped the price a $100 if I would buy it today. I'm now $200 back of a new Marlin and the DS 8.5 had everything I was sure I couldn't afford. So off to Raleigh to look at it.

Well if was everything I wanted and it was almost brand new despite being a 2012 model. I got her home, rode her 5 miles and couldn't be happier. That was Sunday. I now have a different seat, bar ends and rode 6 miles today. As soon as I change out the pedals and get a kickstand I'm all set. (Why would you have a bike without a kickstand?)

Last edited by Jac of Hearts; 05-14-19 at 10:20 PM. Reason: corrected year
Old 05-14-19, 05:03 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Jac of Hearts
Forgive me if you're reading this a second time. I posted it in the Introductions thread.

Hi I'm Jac Grimes from Greensboro, NC. I'm 65 years old and have ridden MTBs for years along with a stent on a recumbent but have not been on a bike for about 20 years until last May.

So here's my return to the saddle story. Last May when I dropped below 300 lbs I decided to start riding again. I bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Mako from a friend. I brought it home and just barely made it around my apartment complex. That's 0.3 of a mile. I thought I was going to die. I changed the seat, put some bar ends on it and persisted. At the end of the riding season I was regularly riding 5 to 6 miles. Not too bad for a fat boy on a mountain bike.

As my friend got ready to leave the state he sold me a better although older bike. I liked it but the frame was just too big. (Short legs). So it went on marketplace and craigslist and I ended up trading for a smaller frame bike of about equal value. I liked it a lot but the smaller frame felt crowded. I never could get comfortable. So I sold it to my son in law.

After 2 false stars I started researching new bikes. I figured I would get one I liked that fit and sell the 1st one. So off to Trek of Greensboro for a couple test rides. I looked at 2 hybrids, a DS2 and a Verge and a mountain bike, Marlin 5 and decided on the Marlin but a 6. It was a close call between the Marlin and the DS. So I ordered one on Friday and was told it would be a week. So I posted the Mako on my FB page and sold it yesterday to another friend and professional colleague.

Just for some perspective you must understand that FaceBook marketplace is the devil. Since I had made my decision wouldn't you know that a much better equipped like new hybrid, DS 8.5 popped up on my feed. For $100 less than the new Marlin 6 I had ordered. But did I really want a hybrid or a MTB? The seller and I started chatting and just as I had decided to pass he said he was leaving town tomorrow and dropped the price a $100 if I would buy it today. I'm now $200 back of a new Marlin and the DS 8.5 had everything I was sure I couldn't afford. So off to Raleigh to look at it.

Well if was everything I wanted and it was almost brand new despite being a 2014 model. I got her home, rode her 5 miles and couldn't be happier. That was Sunday. I now have a different seat, bar ends and rode 6 miles today. As soon as I change out the pedals and get a kickstand I'm all set. (Why would you have a bike without a kickstand?)
Welcome! I’m just down the road in Concord. Good luck with the new bikes and bike revival. You really can’t have too many bikes. Keep up the riding and the weight loss!
Old 05-14-19, 05:43 PM
oldfatboy

Didn't use the rowing machine last couple of days, but today was clear and cool, at 42F, so went out to do some riding. Pedalled 15 miles.
Old 05-15-19, 06:26 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
We have a weekly ride out of the local senior center every Tuesday called "Ride for Coffee" where as many as 12 or more of us ride out on a nearby rail-trail and other routes for a 20-30 mile outing. We normally go through October and start up again in late April, but the weather has been really uncooperative and after not riding past the end of last September, yesterday was the first day that we could start things up again. It was a beautiful day, so I was surprised that only 6 of us showed up, and we took off at a much faster pace than what we usually do on the first few rides.

I had thought that, with my bike on a trainer over the winter, I was in pretty good shape for the start of the season, but the 23-mile round trip was pretty darn tough. I usually am one of the front-runners, but after setting the pace for the first few miles, I dropped off a bit. It was especially hard after taking a long break at our traditional turnaround point for the obligatory coffee and donut (still only $1.10). The official leader is 80, but can still outride most of us, and he often shows off a bit too much. Unfortunately I think this has discouraged some newcomers, since we do tend to look like a hard-core bunch of riders (hard-core for our age, that is!). When more people start coming, we'll probably split into de facto "A" and "B" groups, which ends up working well.

Anyway, it felt really good to finally get out for a weekly ride with guys that I hadn't seen since last September!
Old 05-18-19, 07:32 AM
Lurch
Fossil

Bikes: Izip E3 Path Plus Step Thru , Raleigh Misceo

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amen to all you said. I just turned 76 and still enjoy riding my less than trendy bikes. Was managing to ride my age at least once per year until age 71. I still ride around town as much as possible and commute to a volunteer job each week. Due to age and a slowly progressive blood disorder my endurance isn't what it once was, so I recently traded my 13-year old commuter bike for a pedal assist model. It's only 250 watts, but it smooths out the hills and allows me to keep riding. I still have to pedal to make it go and I don't use the assist for the flats, so my average speed is about the same as the old pedal bike. I agonized over the decision for a couple of years, but have no regrets at this point. I did keep one old hybrid and ride it for the shorter trips and errands, so...best of both worlds.
Old 05-19-19, 11:32 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by Lurch
Amen to all you said. I just turned 76 and still enjoy riding my less than trendy bikes. Was managing to ride my age at least once per year until age 71. I still ride around town as much as possible and commute to a volunteer job each week. Due to age and a slowly progressive blood disorder my endurance isn't what it once was, so I recently traded my 13-year old commuter bike for a pedal assist model. It's only 250 watts, but it smooths out the hills and allows me to keep riding. I still have to pedal to make it go and I don't use the assist for the flats, so my average speed is about the same as the old pedal bike. I agonized over the decision for a couple of years, but have no regrets at this point. I did keep one old hybrid and ride it for the shorter trips and errands, so...best of both worlds.
I'm really torn about this. I can't come up with a good reason for why I'd really need an e-bike at this point, but I'm kind of a techie person and am pretty fascinated by the technology and all that. Besides, my wife just got one and absolutely loves it. She mainly uses the assist for hills and riding into the wind, but has already ridden farther and more often than she has in years. And of course, she can not only keep up with me without any trouble, but can whip me any time she wants to!

But would I want to show up for one of our group rides with an e-bike? Maybe it's all a matter of ego (probably is!), but it would seem like I'd have it "too easy"when everyone else is busting it to do a 40-miler or whatever.

I could almost justify it if I didn't have to give up one of my current bikes, but we're already short of garage space. Although I do have any extra ceiling-mounted lift hanger...
Old 05-19-19, 12:18 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG

But would I want to show up for one of our group rides with an e-bike? Maybe it's all a matter of ego (probably is!), but it would seem like I'd have it "too easy"when everyone else is busting it to do a 40-miler or whatever.
We have two e-riders in each of my group rides now, and the number of users appears to be growing, lots of shopping talk. But these are more seniors groups. e-Bike users tend to happy sweepers, not much showing off, and easily accepted. Every once an a while I hear a snarky comment on a bad hill, but that's someone feeling a bit insecure about their level of fitness. If I had a need I wouldn't hesitate to ride one, those pedal assist models are a simply a hoot to ride. They are smile generators.
Old 05-19-19, 12:50 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Reading all this "justifying" bovine excrement just seems like childish thinking to me.
Old 05-19-19, 01:51 PM
DougG
Road Runner

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
If I had a need I wouldn't hesitate to ride one, those pedal assist models are a simply a hoot to ride. They are smile generators.
That's my quandary: I don't have a need, but just think it would be fun and would let me go more places easily. Almost takes me back to my motorcycling days in just effortless riding for the pure joy of being in the open air on two wheels!
Old 05-19-19, 01:58 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
We have two e-riders in each of my group rides now, and the number of users appears to be growing, lots of shopping talk. But these are more seniors groups. e-Bike users tend to happy sweepers, not much showing off, and easily accepted. Every once an a while I hear a snarky comment on a bad hill, but that's someone feeling a bit insecure about their level of fitness. If I had a need I wouldn't hesitate to ride one, those pedal assist models are a simply a hoot to ride. They are smile generators.
Next thing we know, you'll be the next gang of motorcycle hoodlums.
Just kidding.
Old 05-19-19, 04:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I'm really torn about this. I can't come up with a good reason for why I'd really need an e-bike at this point, but I'm kind of a techie person and am pretty fascinated by the technology and all that. Besides, my wife just got one and absolutely loves it. She mainly uses the assist for hills and riding into the wind, but has already ridden farther and more often than she has in years. And of course, she can not only keep up with me without any trouble, but can whip me any time she wants to!

I could almost justify it if I didn't have to give up one of my current bikes, but we're already short of garage space. Although I do have any extra ceiling-mounted lift hanger...

A gentleman about our age bought a Giant ebike. He was having trouble staying with our group but not any longer! He really like it, allows him to continue to ride with locals and he’s quickly learned how to use the assist so it’s good for him and our group. I expect we’ll see more of them in the future.
Old 05-20-19, 02:01 AM
mellowyellow

Bikes: 2 old bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Yes! Hooray for PA...

I thought it was just ..less than accurate, sales blurb, when I first used my absolute-bottom-of-the-range ebike, (370 euros plus an extra lead, battery)..and found I couldnt get it to 'assist pedalling' for more than about 10kms. ...it took me till this year ...3+ years later..to realise. that ASSISTANCE.. means what it says. ie... ..if I actually join in the effort, and pedal myself.. it quite easily gets to the 30 kms promised.
My trips are all beautiful, flat, train-line trails, or traffic free country roads, so the weather doesn't matter..pouring rain, is easy, in a bike raincoat. I haven't tried deep winter rides..but the first warmer days..off to any one of the nearby towns and villages. With an extra battery, and maybe a tent too, twice as far.
I'm 77 in November, whoever invented ebiking... must have a few billion quid's worth of extra pension payments to account for. I think I could make it, mostly overland, to Japan, now, its perfect exercise! No stress on joints or heart, more that feels comfortable. Bike trails are all over Europe and far beyond now. My old dog trailer, fixes on the back, easily, and still works, to pull about 25kg+ of shopping/luggage...and an extra battery, so I can save taxi fares to connect with big transport. Buses and trains. FALLING OFF? Yes I have fallen off, not good for ancient humans..and know I may do so again..but I've found a solution. I'm investing in cheap *motorbike* 'body armor' ..probably from China, that's the very lightweight, but very tough, reinforced, jacket, (with every joint, elbows shoulders etc, and spine, protected) and the protective pants...knee and thigh armor...all of it totalling less than 40 quid. ..*possibly*....lifesaving kit for anyone coming off a Harley at 150 mph...so for an OAP ..on a bike trail? I have big confidence, the bruises will be smaller, and hurt less, than last time.
It will be a superb upgrade...when, at last ..I can invest in a *lightweight* ebike, and ditch those two colossal lead batteries, that each weighs about 11 kg. Essential dentist trip, now..so, off to town this morning...happy biking everyone..

Originally Posted by Lurch
Old 05-20-19, 08:50 AM
Drinian

Bikes: 1964 Sherwood Flyer, 2017 Raleigh Superbe iE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's another twist for consideration. If you ride purely for exercise, then an ebike may feel like surrender. On the other hand, I rode my ebike whenever I could this winter (temp over 38 F). The winter difference was that my battery was kept comfy in the basement. I didn't want speed against a cold Lake Erie wind. I only wanted exercise. Now that it's warm, the battery is back- time on the road and range are extended. While exercise is important to me, my real motive is to carry my camera to more distant shooting locations. So, I bike to keep more mobile, but also to aid my photographic instincts. For me, biking is both an end and a means. The reason you ride may determine the time to get electrified.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.