Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Eat more to lose weight

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Eat more to lose weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 11:53 AM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eat more to lose weight

Yesterday, I went back to my Cardiologist to have my pressure checked and to see the Regeristed Dietician he has on staff. I'm 55 years old, with extreme high blood pressure and take 3 meds plus an aspirin daily for it. Since I've started biking seriously my pressure is down about 20 points top and bottom.

About 4 months or so ago I decided I needed to start watching what I ate in an attempt to lose weight (5'8" inches, weighted at the time 213 Lbs.). Between the biking and watching what I ate I lost about 7 Lbs. in the matter of a month or so and then plateaued. Everyone I spoke to said it was a redistribution of weight from my gut, which has shrunk some, to my legs or I heard your building muscles and muscles weight more than fat. Both statements are true and I figure given time the weight loss would start again. It did not. I've been stuck between 206 and 208 for months.

The RD asked me to tell her what I typically eat daily (coffee and bagel for breakfast, a green salad with sliced chicken breast or a yougurt for lunch, granola bars or yougurts for snacks, smaller portions than I was for dinner of chicken, fish, pasta, less red meats, I drink water no sodas, no cakes, candies, cookies, etc). She proceeded to tell me I was not eating enough!!! I looked at her like she had three heads.

She estimated I was eating about 1,100 calories daily and should be eating 2,700 calories daily. I told her I've never heard of eating more food to lose weight, it's normally the other way around. She explained what I was doing was great, but I was not doing enough of it. According to her because my calorie intake is not enough the body is refusing to give up what it's stored because it knows it's going to need it when I excerise (bike). Did not know the body was capable of doing something like this.

She's given me a basic plan to follow, which I will. So here goes, I'm about to eat twice as much as I have been of the same types of healthy things (she's given me a list to use to expand my choices) with the hopes I will lose weight.
Old 01-08-05, 01:17 PM
joshnc

Bikes: Bigshot, Airbourne,2006 QR Caliente, bianchi, Gt grade.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont know that anyone can eat that few calories. Maybe is it just me. I love to eat!
Old 01-08-05, 01:27 PM
Nick Gapen
South Florida Roadie

Bikes: nishiki, mercier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you eat too little food, the body goes into starvation mode and starts slowing down the metabolism to conserve body mass. By eating more food you prevent the body from thinking it's starving. The best way to eat more is to eat 4 or 5 small meals a day. This prevents you from feeling hungry and prevents your metabolism from slowing down. Obviously, you need to eat healthy food.
Old 01-08-05, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Nick is so right! You want to fuel the body so it has energy to do the work you perform every day. There is definitely a balance between eating enough calories to fuel your active life and eating a little less when you're trying to lose weight. The problem is, people think the 3500 cal= 1 pound of fat is literal, so they cut out the extra 500 calories a day. The problem is, when you exercise, you are already burning the extra calories off, so you don't need to automatically cut so many calories.

It gets complicated, especially as you do more exercise. That's why dietitians and nutritionists are so important when you're putting together your fitness routines and having your performance testing done.

Koffee

Old 01-08-05, 03:03 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I told the RD yesterday I did this on my own without consulting or discussing with anyone. I guess that is major problem number one. I was doing more harm than good without realizing it, learned a valueable lesson.

Starting today I'm following the RD's suggestion, lets see how it works.

Thank you everyone.

PS. Koffee, love your Avatar.
Old 01-08-05, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Bop Bop
As I told the RD yesterday I did this on my own without consulting or discussing with anyone. I guess that is major problem number one. I was doing more harm than good without realizing it, learned a valueable lesson.

Starting today I'm following the RD's suggestion, lets see how it works.

Thank you everyone.

PS. Koffee, love your Avatar.
Thanks for the compliment!

Food intake is always a delicate balance. You could be exercising well, but without enough food, you will actually end up slowing your metabolism, which means you won't see any significant weight loss. What a shame for working so hard for no real results.

Good luck! Report back in a month!

Koffee

Old 01-08-05, 05:53 PM
Bop Bop
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koffee,

You are welcome and thank you. I will.