Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good, lightweight wind shell?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 09:48 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 90 Posts

Looking for a good wind shell, as the one I'm currently using is not a cycling-specific shell (Patagonia Houdini) and it's more of a wind sail than a wind shell. It's super light, which I love, but it's a bit loose, and not really made for riding. So I'm looking for something that is much more fitted, and obviously cycling specific (good fit is my #1 priority). My other requirements are that it should be stuffable (folds up into it's own pocket), come in a color other than black, and as lightweight as possible. Price is sort of a consideration, but not the ultimate factor. I'm not necessarily looking for something to provide a ton of warmth, just enough to keep cold wind from getting to my body. Rain resistance is not necessary, and I'd also prefer no hood (mine has a hood, and all it does is catch the wind and choke me lol!). Any suggestions?

edit: has to also be a full jacket, not a vest.
Old 06-16-16, 10:00 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I have a running jacket made by Hind that fits that bill. Works good for temps in the 20-40 range.
Old 06-16-16, 10:07 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Highly recommend that you PM timtak.

Old 06-16-16, 10:19 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I can highly recommend the Gore Windstopper products. I have one of their jackets that really blocks the wind effectively and packs up nice and small.
Old 06-16-16, 10:21 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM

That's awesome! Why didn't I think of that. Yet no fenders. Curious.
Old 06-16-16, 10:29 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
A few years ago, I got the Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lite jacket. It packs extremely small, due to the very thin fabric.

But I rarely wear it now. It actually doesn't breathe very well, my arms quickly get damp from sweat.
I do bring it when there's a chance of rain on a ride, since it only takes half of a jersey pocket and weighs 65 grams!

If it's at all loose, the thin fabric is quite noisy flapping in the wind.

NOTE--I think the current version has been totally redesigned, with different fabric, and a multiple panel construction. No experience with it, though. The new version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite jacket is the Elite Convertible jacket.

(Probably not what you are looking for.)

It has a zip-off shoulder yoke with the sleeves attached. I'll leave the sleeves at home and just use the vest on cool mornings. Or zip off the sleeves during the ride, and stow them in the jacket's back pocket. (It takes me at least a minute or more to pull off the jacket, unzip, stow the sleeves, put the jacket back on, and go. Not too practical for impatient group rides.)

It breathes very well. (It's not terribly waterproof, but I'd be sweating anyway.)
The best feature is the huge mesh vent across the shoulders, under the yoke. I can pull down the front zipper and get a big airflow through, or zip up and be very warm. The big vent limits the ballooning/flapping too.

If I unzip the sleeves, I can roll them separately and fit the sleeves in one pocket and the vest in another. The pockets are very full, though.

It's "semi form fit" and mine is a little large. But I like that, I can layer up for cold rides. I've used it down into the 30F range, and it's perfect for 45-60F

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-16-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 10:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Why not a vest?? Vest is lighter and more versatile.
Old 06-16-16, 11:01 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Originally Posted by PepeM

Taht would require quite a tuck! Nice flipped stem too, gotta get even lower.
Old 06-16-16, 11:06 AM
cthenn

Originally Posted by winston63
I can highly recommend the Gore Windstopper products. I have one of their jackets that really blocks the wind effectively and packs up nice and small.
thanks.

Originally Posted by rm -rf
A few years ago, I got the Pearl Izumi PRO Barrier Lite jacket. It packs extremely small, due to the very thin fabric.

But I rarely wear it now. It actually doesn't breathe very well, my arms quickly get damp from sweat.
I do bring it when there's a chance of rain on a ride, since it only takes half of a jersey pocket and weighs 65 grams!

If it's at all loose, the thin fabric is quite noisy flapping in the wind.

NOTE--I think the current version has been totally redesigned, with different fabric, and a multiple panel construction. No experience with it, though. The new version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My favorite jacket is the Elite Convertible jacket.

(Probably not what you are looking for.)

It has a zip-off shoulder yoke with the sleeves attached. I'll leave the sleeves at home and just use the vest on cool mornings. Or zip off the sleeves during the ride, and stow them in the jacket's back pocket. (It takes me at least a minute or more to pull off the jacket, unzip, stow the sleeves, put the jacket back on, and go. Not too practical for impatient group rides.)

It breathes very well. (It's not terribly waterproof, but I'd be sweating anyway.)
The best feature is the huge mesh vent across the shoulders, under the yoke. I can pull down the front zipper and get a big airflow through, or zip up and be very warm. The big vent limits the ballooning/flapping too.

If I unzip the sleeves, I can roll them separately and fit the sleeves in one pocket and the vest in another. The pockets are very full, though.

It's "semi form fit" and mine is a little large. But I like that, I can layer up for cold rides. I've used it down into the 30F range, and it's perfect for 45-60F
thanks.

Originally Posted by datlas
Why not a vest?? Vest is lighter and more versatile.
Not picking on you, but why does this always happen with threads? I specifically said "no vest" and immediately someone responds with "a vest"...

Because I already have a Showers Pass vest that I really like. So I'm also looking for a jacket when I want just a little bit more protection. That's why I said "no vest".
Old 06-16-16, 11:23 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Been using my Pearl Izumi Convertible for a few years now. Quite happy with it.
Fitting will depend on your body type; but it seems the new model has more of
a riding cut/fit. Never tried stuffing it in one of the 4 pockets(1 chest, 2 side, 1
back); but might be possible - especially with the large back pocket. Material is
thin and easily compressible. Good for a light rain and blocking the wind. Price
is not too bad. No hood. I wear mine down to sub freezing temps with layers
underneath:

New York City 14F/-10C by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
it in
Old 06-16-16, 11:39 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22614 Post(s)
Liked 8,935 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Not picking on you, but why does this always happen with threads? I specifically said "no vest" and immediately someone responds with "a vest"...

Because I already have a Showers Pass vest that I really like. So I'm also looking for a jacket when I want just a little bit more protection. That's why I said "no vest".
You can pick on me, I can take it.

Reason why it happens in general here is too many newbies posting, they think they know what they want and have not explored other options. In this case, you already have a vest so it's my bad. I think vests are so useful that most people who have one may not need a full wind jacket. But of course, YOU are the best judge of that. YMMV.
Old 06-16-16, 01:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,936 Posts
I have a Specialized jacket with removable sleeves that works well. Although you say you already have a vest you like, a jacket with removable sleeves is more versatile. You can start out with the sleeves attached, then remove them once you've warmed up.
Old 06-16-16, 01:49 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Novara Stowable bike Jacket at REI. It works really well as a wind shell and packs small into it's own pocket, packed size is I don't know a banana? It fits on a jersey pocket without problems.

When I bought it, I was between the Novara and the Patagonia Houdini. The Novara has a more bike-friendly cut and was cheaper than the Houdini.
Old 06-16-16, 02:47 PM
Owlex

Bikes: Not As Many As I'd Like

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride in a Mavic Helium H2O jacket when needed. Last year's model (the one that I have) can be found at this link. https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Helium-.../dp/B009GIC81Q

Great rain and win protection, very well vented at the same time. White jacket with a few tasteful 3M reflective details and accents, so it's definitely safe and visible as well. Easily packs into a Jersey pocket due to the incredibly thin material.
Old 06-16-16, 02:58 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've found most hardshell stuff to be too flappy and annoying. IMO a lightweight Windstopper jersey like the Castelli Gabba is great. A wind vest / gilet is a great option as well. My favorite wind vest is the Garneau Course which has a cutaway back for pocket access. Both of these options are a bit expensive and racy, though.
Old 06-16-16, 03:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I have a Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer, not the down sweater but the wind shirt. It packs down to about the size of my thumb, with a full zipper and a hood. But it's not very breathable. So there have been times I've been cold and had it with me but not stopped to put it on. Also have an Arc'teryx Accelero wind breaker, it's heavier and bulkier but breathes very well and I don't have to take it off even for climbs.
Old 06-16-16, 03:18 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

pearl izumi pro barrier lite jacket. incredibly stuffable.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-16-16, 05:05 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by Nachoman
pearl izumi pro barrier lite jacket. incredibly stuffable.
I read some reviews on amazon that said the sleeves were kind of loose fitting. Also, because of the crinkly/plasticky material, it is extra loud when flapping in the wind?
Old 06-16-16, 05:09 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I have a Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer, not the down sweater but the wind shirt. It packs down to about the size of my thumb, with a full zipper and a hood. But it's not very breathable. So there have been times I've been cold and had it with me but not stopped to put it on. Also have an Arc'teryx Accelero wind breaker, it's heavier and bulkier but breathes very well and I don't have to take it off even for climbs.
I'll check out the Arc'teryx wind breaker. I know their prices are hilarious sometimes, but I own a ton of winter jackets from all different outdoor companies and Arc'teryx is by far the best stuff. Every piece I own is just great for what it does.
Old 06-16-16, 05:19 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I know you said no vest, but the vest + arm warmers combo really helps reduce wind flap and is tremendously versatile.

In case you change your mind...
Sportful hot pack ultralight vest,
Castelli nanoflex arm warmers.

But, if you insist on a jacket, sportful hot pack ultralight jacket.
Old 06-16-16, 05:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 1,392 Posts
Voler Jet Wind Jacket: Voler: Jet Men's Wind Jacket
Note that everyone gave it 5 stars. Best jacket I ever used or saw. Also great rain jacket for me.
Old 06-16-16, 06:37 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
I read some reviews on amazon that said the sleeves were kind of loose fitting. Also, because of the crinkly/plasticky material, it is extra loud when flapping in the wind?

I use this also.

Somewhat flappy, but not that loud. Mostly for emergencies, getting caught out late (visibility + warmth), & occasionally cold mornings.
Old 06-16-16, 08:05 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also own the Pearl izumi pro barrier lite jacket, and as far as jackets go, I think it's fantastic. That being said, I bought that prior to getting a vest, and now use vest/arm warmers 90% of the time I used to use that jacket. Same warmth and wind protection, but you don't get the sweat moisture trapped in like you are marinating in a bag after riding hard.

every noob starts out with the full jacket. just skip that step and get a good vest and arm warmers

my $.02
Old 06-16-16, 11:02 PM
cthenn

Originally Posted by BenPS

every noob starts out with the full jacket. just skip that step and get a good vest and arm warmers

my $.02
well I appreciate the insult, but thanks anyway. This "noob" still would like a jacket.
Old 06-16-16, 11:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,949 Times in 1,392 Posts
For the vest wearers, the Craft vest is the best I've ever used. A fave late winter costume here is LS Craft undershirt, SS jersey, arm warmers, and vest. But I also carry a full jacket. I think one's Z2 power needs to be up over 200 watts before one can ride 70 miles in 36° rain without a jacket. Sometimes I'll wear the vest under the jacket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.