Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety > Vehicular Cycling (VC)
Reload this Page >

Will they really come if you build it?

Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Will they really come if you build it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-17, 08:38 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Bike Lanes by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Bikes & Buses by AviationMetalSmith, on Flickr

Yes. But you need to build it first.
Old 06-14-18, 09:05 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

By the way, here's proof that cyclists were ahead of motorists, in getting roads paved (there were no cars in 1893).
Old 07-31-18, 08:33 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
And..... so? Scream in their ear when they yell at you! Throw your water bottle back at them when they throw something at you. Duck when they swing at you... then lean in when you bust their nose with your fist! Grow a pair.... HTFU. Or... just take the bus.

No spin here! Innocent people are randomly killed everyday.... so do serial killers cause agoraphobia********** I admit the fear is real. But... where do you think fear originates from********** Motorists don't distribute fear. Even terrorist who make spreading fear their mission... are rarely successful long term. As most adults eventually realize they own their own feelings.

Look... cycling IS NOT for everyone. For some... cycling in traffic [or even on the MUP's] is just too scary. Others see simple things like... wearing helmets as a total waste that messes up their hair. NEATHER are wrong.

If you can't own-up and face your own feelings... you may not be cut-out for cycling in traffic. Cycling is active.... NOT passive. And no one... can change that.
You are very right, and there are people who might not be cut out for cycling in an American environment. What some activists call "8 to 80" comfortable cycling--what I call "delusions of Amsterdam" may not be achievable without convulsive social and environmental change in the US. Our car culture isn't forever, though, when we talk about changing it it's not like we're talking about putting condos on Mt. Everest! The oldest freeway in the US is barely 85 years old, suburban strip mall development not much more than 60. I see VC as a rational adaptation to an environment.
Old 07-31-18, 09:29 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Feldman
You are very right, and there are people who might not be cut out for cycling in an American environment.
I think we're in agreement if with leave out that "American environment" stuff. I've read posts where people in "cycling friendly" old Europe developed fear of traffic for one reason or another. Love of cycling... as well as some fear of cycling is universal... 8 to 80+ and around the globe.
"
Originally Posted by Feldman
What some activists call "8 to 80" comfortable cycling--what I call "delusions of Amsterdam" may not be achievable without convulsive social and environmental change in the US...……..
Once again.... you return the "environmental change in the US". It really doesn't matter one bit if I get buzzed by a Ford F-350 or a Mercedes delivery truck, or whether I am riding on the right [or LEFT] side of the road. That gust of wind hitting a cyclist by a passing truck can be unsettling to most. NONE of the factors that relate to fear... relate to any national borders, or state laws, or local regulation. Even when cycling is used purely for transportation an element of the cycling sport remains. Cycling is an activity. With cycling there will ALWAYS be injuries.... and for many a concern about those injuries that surpasses normal concern... and into fear.

We (as humans) either learn to overcome or otherwise deal with our fears.... or we avoid them. Blaming our internal processes [fear] or external regulatory events accomplishes nothing.
Old 01-25-19, 03:04 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
And if we talk about cycling rates of the. last ten years we talk about a cheap-oil time. $100-$200/bbl. oil could certainly happen; oil markets get wild hairs up their behinds from time to time.
Old 06-20-19, 11:08 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Responding to the title question of this thread, the answer is Yes and No.

Yes, in Toronto, installed protected bike lanes along popular routes have increased bicycle traffic several hundred percent. The increase attracts previous motorists who really wanted to get out of their cars to cycle but were to afraid.

No, you just don't put bike lanes anywhere and have them go nowhere useful to get to. You need to install them at routes where people already use.

It's like putting a pedestrian walkway to the shopping mall that's 50 feet away from the bus stop. Pedestrians are going to carve out a path on the grass instead of walking all the way to the walkway.
Old 07-27-19, 08:14 AM
JohnX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E-bikes that are functional should change the 6% top out rate. And when you add other alternatives, such as scooters and one wheels, I think you'll find the rate increasing a lot. Sad to say, people are basically lazy, that's just the way it is. They will do the easiest thing, weighted also with cost.