Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I S.O.L.?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I S.O.L.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 04:18 PM
Toefuzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I S.O.L.?

I went for a ride last last week and fell after getting sucked into a soft shoulder... I took the bike out for the first time since the fall and noticed it was shifting funny so I brought it home, opened up Zinn's, and began working on my bike for the first time. After playing with the front derailur for a few minutes I noticed the frame was bent... remembering some posts I've browsed earlier I realized what a problem this could be. I'm riding a Trek 1000c and have attached a few pictures. Could ya'll take a look and tell me if I have reason to be concerned It is an aluminum frame and as best I can tell, the front derailur got twisted in the fall and somehow bent the frame... seems like it would take a lot of force to do that, but I couldn't have been going more than 9 or 10 mph. I've only had the bike for a month or two... is this something Trek will cover?
Old 08-08-05, 04:28 PM
Nightsky565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would say that it is safe to ride it... Phone trek, see what they can do. I ride a bike that has a dimple in the frame much like that, works fine.... Phone trek for sure though if you just bought it 2 months ago, trek is known for being nice to deal with.
Old 08-08-05, 04:32 PM
Toefuzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I was hoping to hear... My primary concern is that I am a 'full figured' guy and am putting quite a bit of weight on the bike... not sure if that matters or not.

Another question, should the derailur rotate around into the frame that easy?
Old 08-08-05, 04:35 PM
The Carpenter
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightsky565
I would say that it is safe to ride it... Phone trek, see what they can do. I ride a bike that has a dimple in the frame much like that, works fine.... Phone trek for sure though if you just bought it 2 months ago, trek is known for being nice to deal with.
I agree with the part about calling Trek. I have had great experence with their customer service. If you have/want to replace the frame, I think they have a frame replacement deal that is really good. When you call Trek, don't be surprised when they tell you to take it to your dealer for evaluation.
Old 08-08-05, 04:36 PM
Toefuzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the bike at an out of town dealer (near my in-laws)... My wife is heading down there Wednesday, should I have her take the bike or just head to a local Trek dealer?
Old 08-08-05, 04:39 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toefuzz
I went for a ride last last week and fell after getting sucked into a soft shoulder... I took the bike out for the first time since the fall and noticed it was shifting funny so I brought it home, opened up Zinn's, and began working on my bike for the first time. After playing with the front derailur for a few minutes I noticed the frame was bent... remembering some posts I've browsed earlier I realized what a problem this could be. I'm riding a Trek 1000c and have attached a few pictures. Could ya'll take a look and tell me if I have reason to be concerned It is an aluminum frame and as best I can tell, the front derailur got twisted in the fall and somehow bent the frame... seems like it would take a lot of force to do that, but I couldn't have been going more than 9 or 10 mph. I've only had the bike for a month or two... is this something Trek will cover?
From what the pictures show, the frame is probably safe to ride, assuming the frame is still straight and true.

The only problem I could see if that the new front derailleur may not clamp on the the tube as well because it is not a prefect round... give it a try and see...
Old 08-09-05, 05:08 PM
Cyclist01012
Banned.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toefuuzz, I dont think you are SOL. I ride a 2004 trek 1000 and the is a indent put there by trek. It is to give clearence for the tripple frt derailur. I noticed this on my bike a while back and thought somehow I managed to get a dent there. No chipping of the paint or scratching I figured why worry if its going to fail ill ride it till it does. And tehn I put it out of mind. After reading your post i looked at it again. No different. Had to go by the LBS on my ride today was out of gu. While there I pulled 2 different trek 1000's out of the rack and looked at them.ump in in the same place. Asked shop owner about it and he said a couple of different companys do that to use larger diameter tubing and still have clearence for frt derailur. Hope the helps.