Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Energy crashing

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Energy crashing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 11:03 AM
Mandeville

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snickers bars and water. Sometimes toss in one bottle of Gatorade. Regarding the idea of junk food keep in mind that some of the reasons its labeled junk food or the such, (if the type Indurain ate), it isn't really isn't the "category" of junk food when eaten for "fuel" on work rides or workout. Your body is needing it and processing in such a way on the ride that to a certain degree it mitigates that junk issue. And it does give you those carbs and helps the glycogen management.
Old 09-17-15, 12:32 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
As I mentioned before, if you are in the process of riding or having a small break from riding, you will not experience almost any insuling reactions no matter what you eat. You could pour down pure glucose and it would not make a difference in your blood glucose or insulin levels. The body does not allow for insulin spikes while exercising because those can actually kill you. We would have not made it long as a species if insuling spikes during movement were a thing. Insulin production is severely reduced during exercise and it does not boost up until after you've stopped.
And one of the reasons why you can't make sugar spikes while exercising is the overall absorbtion capacity of the body. You can only absorb so much per hour and depending on effort levels it may or may not be enough to replace the glucose used by moving the body. Usually it isn't enough, so you see, there actually isn't a point for more insulin as the glucose that gets in your bloodstream isn't going to storage, it's going straight to use.

Also, you seem to think that complex carbs are stored that way. Only monosaccharides get through the intestine wall, ie. glucose. Glucose is the sole carb type the body uses, other carbs are unusable and need to be converted to glucose. So as an end result the body does not care about what the carbohydrates coming in are. It just converts everything to glucose. The difference in simple/complex carbs is that with complex the body needs to use more energy and time to break it down to glucose, but it still goes to the bloodstream as glucose.

I don't get this whole REAL FOOD thing. I mean it's probably good that you eat something, and it's actually pretty difficult to stuff all of the required protein down after the riding stops so eating a regular breakfast, lunch, dinner is always a good idea, but if the goal with mid ride snacks is to get glucose in, it doesn't matter one lick what it is. If it's REAL FOOD it just means it'll absorb slower. Depending on the protein/fat content it might absorb really slowly which isn't near optimal when trying to get carbs in. Gels are best at getting in the carbs, but I'll rather stick to donuts/other baked goods as they actually do have a pretty good nutritional profile for touring mid ride snack. Lotsa carbs, some protein and good amounts of fat to keep calorie intake up.

Good info! so from what I understand, if you have already crashed or bonked out the fastest way to recover is to eat those power gels where the body does not need to break down food. However, if properly fueled up and you maintain your energy level you should never bonk out. Now the thing I need to do is schedule eating breaks even though I may not need it at that moment.
Old 09-17-15, 12:38 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
Good info! so from what I understand, if you have already crashed or bonked out the fastest way to recover is to eat those power gels where the body does not need to break down food. However, if properly fueled up and you maintain your energy level you should never bonk out. Now the thing I need to do is schedule eating breaks even though I may not need it at that moment.
Listen, you're touring, not doing a 24 hour time trial. You aren't going to be riding so hard that you'll bonk without notice. Make sure you have something with you that you can snack on when you feel the need. Eat when you're hungry. Don't overthink it. That's it.
Old 09-17-15, 12:52 PM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Listen, you're touring, not doing a 24 hour time trial. You aren't going to be riding so hard that you'll bonk without notice. Make sure you have something with you that you can snack on when you feel the need. Eat when you're hungry. Don't overthink it. That's it.
True...I need to relax with this but when I crashed it was scary and I did not realize what was going on. That has never happened to me before and I was concerned that I was suffering from heat stroke or something worse. After the fact I learned that I just ran out of energy. Now I have information I can prevent and or recover when it happens the next time.
Old 09-17-15, 01:42 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
True...I need to relax with this but when I crashed it was scary and I did not realize what was going on. That has never happened to me before and I was concerned that I was suffering from heat stroke or something worse. After the fact I learned that I just ran out of energy. Now I have information I can prevent and or recover when it happens the next time.
Exactly. Relax and just you know, eat like a normal person. Maybe supplement a bit more carbs at meal times by eating a bit more bread or pasta or rice or whatnot. Beer has carbs as well (not that many, but it does)
Gels or glucose tablets are the best cure for bonking, but as Chasm said, on tour you shoudn't bonk as you should be keeping effort levels low enough that you can ride the whole day. That means that while you're burning carbs you're also burning a lot of fat.

Really just maintaining a solid daily routine with meal times will keep you from bonking. I've noticed that if I'm lacking something (it's not always accurate though) I crave for it be it fat, carbs or protein. On tour I can stuff down a lot of carbs.

The info I gave above was mainly a rant against the whole sugar rush BS myth that irritates me greatly (I'm type 1 diabetic and an obsessive know it all study reader so I know the carbohydrate metabolism pretty well)
Old 09-17-15, 05:21 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Right.

Now it depends where you are touring ... if you're really remote, you may need to plan ahead and schedule breaks. But if you're travelling through Europe or something, you may need to stop yourself from stopping at every single bakery, ice cream place, café, etc. etc.

But wherever you are ... enjoy the food there. That's half the fun of touring!
Old 09-17-15, 08:42 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
There's some classic rules laid down in the 19th century for any endurance cycling.

Vélocio's Seven Commandments of Cycling

#2 is eat lightly and often. Eat before getting hungry, drink before you are thirsty.

Not as important the easier you're cruising along, of course.
Old 09-18-15, 03:53 AM
TheReal Houdini

Bikes: Cervelo P3 (retired), Habanero Road, Novara Safari, Batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I try to eat something every hour. I also prefer water but can tolerate 50% diluted Gatorade when I need it. The handlebar bag helps. The food is right there in front of me. I also keep a cliff bar and an energy gel or gu blocks in the bag - I prefer real food on tour but these are "bonk insurance." My favorite pit stop is beer and potato chips - cabs and salt, just what I need. If I stop for a sandwich I'll buy a second and stash it in the handlebar bag for later. I've still bonked (once) on tour. I knew I was due for a lunch break but wanted to push through to the next town for fresh food. I didn't properly account for the climbs and the head wind. As I was pulling into town I was asking myself "why is it so damn difficult to pedal this bike?" And then I knew.

Once I've gone over the edge the fastest way back is coke (any sugar soda) which I almost never drink otherwise.