Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sluggish Disc Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Sluggish Disc Trucker

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 06:18 PM
lurch0038

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sluggish Disc Trucker

I have been riding my DT and that bike is a beast for touring but when not hauling gear or touring it is as sluggish as a sherman tank and cannot get out of its own way. I love the frame as it fits me perfectly and considering purchasing another one as a non touring bike but has anyone changed the gearing and other components to give it more speed to be used as a non touring bike? On a small recent tour the DT rode actually better loaded than it does unloaded.....is that normal?
Old 09-16-15, 07:51 PM
gandrimp

Bikes: Trek Stache 6, Surly Disc Trucker, Fuji Sportif 1.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Character traits of a Disc Trucker: beast, sluggish, hauls heavy loads like know other.

Its normal.
Old 09-16-15, 08:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
I have been riding my DT and that bike is a beast for touring but when not hauling gear or touring it is as sluggish as a sherman tank and cannot get out of its own way. I love the frame as it fits me perfectly and considering purchasing another one as a non touring bike but has anyone changed the gearing and other components to give it more speed to be used as a non touring bike? On a small recent tour the DT rode actually better loaded than it does unloaded.....is that normal?
I ride mine every day and love it. Are you running the same tire pressure as you do when loaded? It is definitely made to carry a load, but I am happy with mine without a load. I do keep my bags on though, but they don't really qualify as "loaded."
Old 09-16-15, 08:56 PM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I ride mine every day and love it. Are you running the same tire pressure as you do when loaded? It is definitely made to carry a load, but I am happy with mine without a load. I do keep my bags on though, but they don't really qualify as "loaded."
Same pressure at all times.
Old 09-16-15, 09:43 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Same pressure at all times.
I run lower pressure when it isn't loaded. It would ride like a buckboard if I did't
Old 09-16-15, 10:01 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
instead of a new bike, although that's a good thing, why not just buy a second
set of lighter wheels/tires?
Old 09-16-15, 11:27 PM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I've read the rear triangle on truckers is straight gauge non butted tubing, which would be stiff and great for hauling heavy loads, but ad that tubing to long chai stays and I imagine the ride wouldn't exactly be responsive or lively no matter what you change.
Old 09-16-15, 11:29 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Trucker frame is a bit heavy but touring components are also usually not ultra-light either. First speed-boosting option to buy light wheels w/old saw about 1 oz on wheels worth 2 in the rest. One set of wheels for touring/rougher riding & a light set for light load and/or speedier riding, similar to racers having separate training/racing wheels. & high-pressure tires go w/the light wheels. Trucker has relaxed enough ride so that high-pressure tires would be tolerable on smoother surfaces.

One could change out other components for CF/titanium or whatnot, but this seems to be mostly much $$ for little weight saving.
Old 09-17-15, 01:42 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts
Sluggish Disc Trucker

Have you tried taking everything off that you may not need when not touring? e.g Handlebag mount, bottle cages, fenders, kickstand, racks, pump, lights, bell... (ok some of this you might need at times)

Then put some nifty light wheels with narrow slick tires on pumped hard...
Do you have a Brooks saddle on the DT. They weigh a ton, neh?

Last edited by imi; 09-17-15 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 05:18 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I regularly use my standard LHT for transportation. The gearing has nothing to do with how fast the bike is. (Are you telling us you regularly spin out of your highest gear?) It's the geometry and the fact that it's heavy. I can get a little more zip out of it with narrower tires, but that is about it. if you want something faster and more responsive, buy a bike that is designed and built to be faster and more responsive.
Old 09-17-15, 07:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I have a DT and it isn't a fast bike in the least but it wasn't meant to be. It is a fully loaded touring bike with all the basic features one might want in a tourer. My DT clocks in about 33lbs unloaded but then again it is a 4130 chromo touring bike with racks and bottle cages and all of that fine stuff. I picked up a fixed gear and a vintage road bike for going real fast and the DT is really for touring and longer rides or off roading or commuting with panniers. I know you can find some decent vintage road machines with good parts for reasonable prices on CL.
Old 09-17-15, 07:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
If you are looking to buy another bike so you can ride faster when not loaded, look for something besides the very bike you say is sluggish.
Old 09-17-15, 07:30 AM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have fast bikes but because they cannot handle my shrek sized frame (6'6'' and ~330lbs)they are all worn down. I am not fat but even at the height of my fitness I was still ~265lbs. I usually get a year and a half out of a bike before it starts to fall apart but I have had the DT for over 2 years and it is as solid as the day I bought it. I guess I was looking to have the reliability of the DT with some faster performance. I realize that it may not be possible with the DT and I am ok with that because the DT is one hell of a bike!
Old 09-17-15, 09:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
instead of a new bike, although that's a good thing, why not just buy a second
set of lighter wheels/tires?
+1
Old 09-17-15, 09:41 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
N+1, is always suggested.. want light, Zippy?, buy an Additional Bike. .

I haul groceries in my panniers , between tours.. a heavy load itself.
Old 09-17-15, 12:39 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Thought about a cross check?
Old 09-17-15, 12:59 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I thought my trucker was pretty light and fast. My previous bike was an aluminum framed Trek 7.2 which was heavier so I was real happy when I lifted the stock bike off the floor at the bike shop; always heard they were heavy. I guess it depends on your perspective...all the bikes I have had in the past were more heavy.

I'm afraid to weigh it now, front rack, rear rack, headlight, tailight, computer, bell, 2 bottle cages, usually 2 bottles (48 Oz.), mirror, seat from England made in Italy. My tires weigh 4 pounds by themselves! Be very afraid of the scales.

It's my only bike and I really like it. I added lighting for evening grocery store runs...at least it's all uphill to the store for an easy return home.
Old 09-18-15, 07:40 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
I have fast bikes but because they cannot handle my shrek sized frame (6'6'' and ~330lbs)they are all worn down. I am not fat but even at the height of my fitness I was still ~265lbs. I usually get a year and a half out of a bike before it starts to fall apart but I have had the DT for over 2 years and it is as solid as the day I bought it. I guess I was looking to have the reliability of the DT with some faster performance. I realize that it may not be possible with the DT and I am ok with that because the DT is one hell of a bike!
from your size/weight and past bike experience, it certainly doesnt sound like you can make a real difference. Lighter wheels or whatever are just not going to either hold up, or make that much of a diff considering the cost, just because they still have to be strong enough to survive a rider of your weight.
I dunno, spend a $1000 or something on a set of wheels that are a pound or two or whatever lighter--in the big scheme of things, not going to make a hell of a lot of diff, and a good amount of money spent...
Old 09-18-15, 08:25 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Thought about a cross check?
A straggler if he wants disks. But most surly bikes are (relatively) heavy, so you're not really getting anything different.
Old 09-18-15, 11:14 AM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
from your size/weight and past bike experience, it certainly doesnt sound like you can make a real difference. Lighter wheels or whatever are just not going to either hold up, or make that much of a diff considering the cost, just because they still have to be strong enough to survive a rider of your weight.
I dunno, spend a $1000 or something on a set of wheels that are a pound or two or whatever lighter--in the big scheme of things, not going to make a hell of a lot of diff, and a good amount of money spent...
Exactly...I have a number of fishing rods for specific applications and will take the same approach with bicycles. I bought the DT to hold up against the abuse of my weight and to eventually tour so if I need to go for a exercise run I will buy a bike that can do just that.
Old 09-18-15, 11:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Then put some nifty light wheels with narrow slick tires on pumped hard...
I got a second set of wheels, put some skinny slick supple high pressure tires on it and it feels much faster. I used the same eight speed 11/32 cassette on both wheels, but you could put on a cassette with higher gears if you are not touring. My lighter weight wheels have pretty cheap components and hubs but that does not impair performance. Just remember if you do this, you need the 135mm hub spacing.

I do not re-adjust my fenders, so with skinny tires there is a lot of clearance between fenders and tires. But it looks fine to me.

Oops. I wrote the above before I saw your 330 lb weight. Maybe just lighter supple tires on your heavy rims would be best.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-18-15 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-18-15, 01:03 PM
lurch0038

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I got a second set of wheels, put some skinny slick supple high pressure tires on it and it feels much faster. I used the same eight speed 11/32 cassette on both wheels, but you could put on a cassette with higher gears if you are not touring. My lighter weight wheels have pretty cheap components and hubs but that does not impair performance. Just remember if you do this, you need the 135mm hub spacing.

I do not re-adjust my fenders, so with skinny tires there is a lot of clearance between fenders and tires. But it looks fine to me.

Oops. I wrote the above before I saw your 330 lb weight. Maybe just lighter supple tires on your heavy rims would be best.
I replaced the original wheels with some 48 spoke Velocity Chukkers but still have the original wheels. DUH! I will do a comparison test.
Old 09-18-15, 02:29 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
At 330lbs wanting a zippy bike that doesn't wear out sounds like a custom frame. I doubt the weight of the LHT frame or wheels is the issue but the geometry. I'd suggest a Comotion.

Last edited by LeeG; 09-18-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-18-15, 02:51 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3454 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Maybe ask your question here:

Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Old 09-18-15, 04:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
here is another suggestion, when not touring, try a much tighter cassette. Stock LHTs come with 9 speed 11-34s I think, so try a 12-27, my fav 9 speed cassette and coming from a 11-32, it certainly changes how your bike rides from a shifting cadence pt of view. You might like it but of course it depends on how much you regularly use the lower gears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.