Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Does Cycling Inflame the Prostate?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Does Cycling Inflame the Prostate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 10:25 AM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chasm54
Cycling in the 48 hours before a PSA test can give rise to abnormally high readings, so I guess it's plausible that pressure on the prostate from a saddle could cause inflammation. I'm not a doctor, though, so that is just speculation on my part.

I have a physical coming up soon, with a new doctor (I turned 60 in December). The new doctor told me to stay off the bike for TWO WEEKS before the check up!
Old 05-10-17, 10:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
I have a physical coming up soon, with a new doctor (I turned 60 in December). The new doctor told me to stay off the bike for TWO WEEKS before the check up!
IMO your Dr. is out of touch with the time frame after bicycling if you are going have a PSA test and/or a DRE. One week is more than adequate.
Old 05-10-17, 11:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Lot's of inflammation in the A&S forum.
Old 05-21-17, 08:38 AM
BackEasy

Bikes: Brodie Sterling (2016 hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember 30 years ago when I rode my Raleigh Record that I got numbness down there. I'm just getting back to riding with a hybrid bike this last few weeks.

I had cancer in my neck in 2001 (surgery & radiation) and later had prostate biopsies for 4 consecutive years due to high PSA. I recently had a prostate MRI for the first time and other than being enlarged the results showed no abnormalities.

I just today read this thread and it made me think. I've been sedentary for a long while so I think the benefits of biking out-way the unknown.

Last edited by BackEasy; 05-22-17 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-21-17, 08:44 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Lot's of inflammation in the A&S forum.
Caused by cycling.
Old 05-21-17, 08:46 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BackEasy
I remember 30 years ago when I rode my Raleigh Record that I got numbness down there. I'm just getting back to riding with a hybrid bike this last few weeks and replaced the stock saddle with a Bell 810 memory foam. It has a grove through most of the seat except for the front horn.

I had cancer in my neck in 2001 (surgery & radiation) and later had prostate biopsies for 4 consecutive years due to high PSA. I recently had a prostate MRI for the first time and other than being enlarged the results showed no abnormalities.

I just today read this thread and it made me think. I've been sedentary for a long while so I think the benefits of biking out-way the unknown.
You got that right!
Old 05-21-17, 09:20 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
Hi 5K,
2 years ago I had a high PSA scare- absolute value, 4.7 or 4.8, not so high, but double the year before. Since the urologist said that cycling might inflame the prostate and temporarily cause a high PSA, on the re-test, 1 month later, and 3 subsequent tests, I stayed off the bike for 4-5 days prior. Sure enough, in all 4 cases, PSA was back down to 2.4, well within the normal range.

Best of luck.
Old 05-22-17, 10:03 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
When I got married and planning a family, my wife changed my bicycle seat to one with extra space under the crotch.

After all these years, I wonder how effective that really was. Now, I'm also wondering if bicycle shorts come with inside padded bottomless liners.
Old 05-22-17, 10:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I asked my doc about cycling and prostrates when he gave me the digital exam years ago. His answer was that if the seat was right, the effect would be a gentle massage which ought to be beneficial.

Ben
Old 05-22-17, 01:42 PM
BackEasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After thinking a little more on this I ordered an economical saddle with a full length center recess for comfortable anatomic relief.
Old 05-22-17, 04:56 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder about riding a drop bar, leaning forward with more weight on arms and upper body vs. the upright, hybrid seating position directly pressing down on your saddle would make any difference in prostate health?
Old 05-23-17, 01:14 AM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BackEasy
After thinking a little more on this I ordered an economical saddle with a full length center recess for comfortable anatomic relief.
D'ya mean an ergonomic saddle? I saw a noseless smart looking job on ebay for around £11 . . . .free delivery. From China . . . .
Old 05-23-17, 03:18 AM
BackEasy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
D'ya mean an ergonomic saddle? I saw a noseless smart looking job on ebay for around £11 . . . .free delivery. From China . . . .
I did mean economical since most of the ones in this category seem to start around 40GBP. I found one for $25CDN/14GBP - RockBros. It's also sold on ebay.
Old 05-23-17, 10:27 AM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
Hi 5K,
2 years ago I had a high PSA scare- absolute value, 4.7 or 4.8, not so high, but double the year before. Since the urologist said that cycling might inflame the prostate and temporarily cause a high PSA, on the re-test, 1 month later, and 3 subsequent tests, I stayed off the bike for 4-5 days prior. Sure enough, in all 4 cases, PSA was back down to 2.4, well within the normal range.

Best of luck.
I had almost the same scenario as my numbers were like yours. Scared the heck out of me! Re-test done after being off the bike for a week brought numbers to normal. Any time I am having labs done to check PSA, I cut down bike time. There is definitely a relationship.

I've been using SMP saddles for about 4 years. Never get numbed.
Old 05-29-17, 06:17 AM
jgscisum 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My prostate cancer. PROTON RADIATION! PLEASE READ!

I have agressive prostate cancer. I am 65 years old. Initially my doctor noticed an increase from .5 psa to 3 psa. He knows I ride a lot of miles and had a history of riding 200+ miles a week. When the PSA of 3 was found the doc said we will watch it. I get a yearly physical and quarterly check-ups. Shortly after, for some reason, I had a bad urinary tract infection. Kept me off the bike for 2 months. I don't do well with antibiotics and was on a small dose for 30 days. After 60 days he was still finding low level infection. One month later I went in for my quarterly check-up. PSA had shot to 13.5 and alarms were going off. Two weeks later it had gone down to only 11. I was scheduled an appointment with a urologist. Missed that appointment and a total time of 60 days passed before I saw the urologist. The urologist did the usual physical exam and said my prostate is normal size but one side is firmer than the other. Suggested biopsy to be safe. Biopsy revealed cancer. Gleason scores of 4-4 in 3 quadrants and 2-2 in the 4th quadrant. BAD numbers! All this happened in 90 days. I talked to many who have had prostate cancer. All of them chose removal and experienced major life changing problems. Only 1 had robotic surgery and had mild problems. I immediately chose not to have mine removed or normal radiation for that matter!!!! Everyone I conversed with the next 2 weeks were informed of my cancer. I was looking for advice or alternatives. Thankfully, someone mentioned Proton Radiation. The next week was spent on the web studying Proton Radiation. This type of radiation has been around since the 80's. Urologist or Oncologist will NOT TELL YOU about this alternative. Mine didn't. It's all about money I believe. There are NO side effects and when being treated you cannot tell anything has happened. There are not many Proton facilities in the US. I live in Bowling Green, KY and the closest to me was Knoxville, TN. 200 miles away. I have been accepted for treatment and start my 39 daily treatments (M-F) June 6th. I will finish July 28th. I will live in Knoxville and will try to come home on weekends. The American Cancer Society found lodging for me for $19 per night at a very nice extended stay hotel (normally 170.00 per night). I will be able to ride my bike to my treatments!!!! Doc said no reason I can't. My purpose for posting my story is to make people aware that there is a very safe, although costly, alternative to traditional prostate cancer treatment. It has a very HIGH (close to 98%) success rate and little chance of the cancer returning which is not the case with traditional treatment. My cancer was evidently there when I had a score of PSA 3 and was aggressive. Please, everyone get quarterly check-ups and never error on the side of denial like I did (I assumed and hoped the urinary tract infection caused the high PSA). Even low scores can be positive for cancer. Any question please feel free to PM me.
Old 05-29-17, 07:01 AM
gary10509

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 1, 2014 Trek 7.4 FX, 2010 Giant Defy 3, 1984 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by side_FX
I wonder about riding a drop bar, leaning forward with more weight on arms and upper body vs. the upright, hybrid seating position directly pressing down on your saddle would make any difference in prostate health?
I ride both. I believe the hybrid position DOES cause more discomfort.
Old 05-29-17, 08:28 PM
MrGhrelin

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker frame with JABOP (Just a bunch of parts), Bromptons, Novara Rondanee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contrary to some of the posts I've read here, most of the studies I've read show that resistance aerobic exercise (bicycling in particular) have shown to not only slow growth, but actually shrink enlarged prostates. Scientist don't know why it works yet, they suspect that it modifies hormone levels that signal tumor cells that it's time to kill themselves (apoptosis).

Of course there is a lot of crap info in the internet, but I would suggest those interested google bicycling exercise prostate and look at articles from google scholar or NIH or PLOS sites. There is a wealth of stuff to read on the subject.

For example
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0067579
Shows that exercise is really hard on tumor cells.

Last edited by MrGhrelin; 05-29-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 11:30 AM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More Information on Original Post - Michael is RIDING!

I just noticed this thread had resurfaced. In case anyone is curious...

Michael was about to leave on a week-long mountain hike when he had the problems I described in the original post.
  • He was going to cancel - any recurrence while in the wilderness could be fatal.
  • Then he realized learning how to catheterize himself was a much better choice. (Once he had overcome his squeamishness.)
  • He did the hike and had no problems. Hooray!
  • About 3 months ago, he had surgery to clean out (?) the prostate gland. I don't fully understand it, but I think the surgeon cut into the prostate and sewed it up afterward, so he still has a prostate gland. (When I had mine removed using robotic surgery, I don't remember hearing about this as an option).
In 90 minutes I will be going for a ride with Michael. He really liked the 2 rides I described in the original post, and now he's decided to start riding again. Last week we rode a flat 15 and then 18 that added a big hill. Hooray!
Old 05-30-17, 01:16 PM
yannisg

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
Cycling in the 48 hours before a PSA test can give rise to abnormally high readings, so I guess it's plausible that pressure on the prostate from a saddle could cause inflammation. I'm not a doctor, though, so that is just speculation on my part.
I have taken a PSA test with 48 hours of riding. Often I have taken the PSA test after riding strenuously for 2 hrs. The doctor says that riding or saddle pressure does not affect the PSA test.
I have heard a few riders complaining that saddle pressure has aggravated their prostrate.
IMO a lot depends on your sit bone anatomy. I don't ride a slotted saddle, and very rarely do I feel any numbness after long Brevets.
Also saddle fit is very personal. Occasional someone recommends a great saddle that offers exceptional comfort from the beginning. You try it and it's uncomfortable after a few kilometers.
Once you find a saddle that suits you, stick with it. Even by a second one in case it's not produced any longer.
Old 05-30-17, 01:17 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Good to read that things are looking up for M.

Originally Posted by hobkirk
  • About 3 months ago, he had surgery to clean out (?) the prostate gland. I don't fully understand it, but I think the surgeon cut into the prostate and sewed it up afterward, so he still has a prostate gland. (When I had mine removed using robotic surgery, I don't remember hearing about this as an option).
Could have been a TURP?

Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) - NHS Choices
Old 05-30-17, 01:50 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by yannisg
I have taken a PSA test with 48 hours of riding. Often I have taken the PSA test after riding strenuously for 2 hrs. The doctor says that riding or saddle pressure does not affect the PSA test.
Some reasons for elevated PSA numbers......

https://prostate.net/articles/15-thin...rease-your-psa
Old 05-31-17, 05:46 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Hornplayer
Agree with the recommendation to use a saddle with a large cutout. I also use an SMP.
+1

I use Brooks now.

No more Selle Italia Turbo
Old 06-03-17, 10:26 AM
Bsgs87

Bikes: Jamis Zenith Comp, 2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2008 Limited Edition Torelli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a PSA test this past Thursday and the doctor told me to stay off the bike for a week before the test. I don't have the results yet, next week. PSA was 4.7 a month and a half ago. Doctor says if PSA is still high he wants me to do a biopsy.
Old 06-03-17, 02:42 PM
OldTryGuy

Originally Posted by Bsgs87
I had a PSA test this past Thursday and the doctor told me to stay off the bike for a week before the test. I don't have the results yet, next week. PSA was 4.7 a month and a half ago. Doctor says if PSA is still high he wants me to do a biopsy.
My monthly prostate cancer blood work, includes PSA, is next Friday so today's 101 miles is the last ride until after the blood work.
Old 06-03-17, 06:44 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Bsgs87
Get the biopsy. I speaking from experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.