Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Heat moldable saddles?!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Heat moldable saddles?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-17, 02:52 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heat moldable saddles?!

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/a...z-forum-50857/

Has anybody tried this or is knowledgeable in any fashion? It seems like the way to go, but, $300? I know it works for shoes, but, having just broken in a Brooks, and I love it, I am a little intrigued that an actual shortcut may exist to simply "doing the work". Any thoughts on this method?

Last edited by Gaelen; 09-23-17 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 02:55 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Every saddle is heat moldable with enough ride time
Old 09-23-17, 03:00 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UltraManDan
Every saddle is heat moldable with enough ride time
The idea, I think, is circumventing that ride time.
Old 09-23-17, 05:07 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Leather saddles were the original heat moldable saddles, no?
Old 09-23-17, 05:10 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

When a Forum saddle is plugged in with a USB cable,
No thanks.
Old 09-24-17, 08:30 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
It sounds like a pretty neatly executed idea, to me. I would particularly like it for a stationary bike saddle, because I seem to experience more sit bones discomfort in that scenario, as opposed to out on the road, despite my abundance of "sitzfleisch"!!
Old 09-24-17, 08:36 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

On the other hand, a heated saddle might be nice.

And heated bar tape.
Old 09-24-17, 09:23 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by f4rrest
On the other hand, a heated saddle might be nice.

And heated bar tape.
There you go! That's your $1,000,000 idea! A hack of the Reform for low-temp warming! Nice!

Last edited by chaadster; 09-25-17 at 06:58 AM. Reason: edited saddle name per correction in linked article
Old 09-24-17, 09:28 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Why pay for the costs of a heating circuit in every one? They should just do it like hockey skates: toss it in the oven for a few minutes, and then have you sit on it.
Old 09-24-17, 11:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Why pay for the costs of a heating circuit in every one? They should just do it like hockey skates: toss it in the oven for a few minutes, and then have you sit on it.
Do you really think the "costs" of the heating circuit outweigh the costs and inconvenience of requiring an oven, removing the saddle, and then racing to remount and reposition it correctly before it cools??
Old 09-24-17, 03:45 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by chaadster
Do you really think the "costs" of the heating circuit outweigh the costs and inconvenience of requiring an oven, removing the saddle, and then racing to remount and reposition it correctly before it cools??
I work in the auto world, where a $1 increase in piece cost is sometimes enough for an OEM to kill a project on a $50k car. Yes, I do.
Old 09-24-17, 04:17 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
It sounds like a pretty neatly executed idea, to me. I would particularly like it for a stationary bike saddle, because I seem to experience more sit bones discomfort in that scenario, as opposed to out on the road, despite my abundance of "sitzfleisch"!!
"sitzfleisch"

Ha, ha, very descriptive anatomically for me as well. Might have to get a decal of this word. My German heritage almost demands it. 😁
Old 09-24-17, 05:35 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I work in the auto world, where a $1 increase in piece cost is sometimes enough for an OEM to kill a project on a $50k car. Yes, I do.
Regardless, the saddle in question is already to market, and while at the upper end of the market, is definitely not the most expensive saddle you can buy, so I don't see the relevance of your comparison. The manufacurer already decided the costs were worthwhile with the heating element built in.

If only from the perspective of convenience, it's hard to imagine choosing a design you need to remove and reinstall the saddle for molding over one with plug-in, in-situ molding.

Of course the idea that engineering an oven molding process saddle would necessarily lower manufacturing cost is both purely and highly speculative.
Old 09-24-17, 10:22 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Actually, I think this is a clever idea and solution to many of the problems inherent in fitting a saddle.

There's a custom saddle company that send you a "butt mold" that you then send back to create something similar to this. (This appeals to me much more, because no matter what I do, I always seem to be somewhere at the wrong end of the bell curve, and making changes myself usually produces better results for me.)

The biggest issue I see with these saddles is they're kinda ugly. Very unappealing aesthetically.
Old 09-25-17, 07:15 AM
jefnvk

If only from the perspective of convenience, it's hard to imagine choosing a design you need to remove and reinstall the saddle for molding over one with plug-in, in-situ molding.

Of course the idea that engineering an oven molding process saddle would necessarily lower manufacturing cost is both purely and highly speculative.
It also not hard to see the benefits of having this done at a LBS, instead of sending the customer a $300 saddle and having them demand a refund when they screw it up at home. I've been to REI Garage Sales, I know the competency (or lack thereof) of the masses. It wouldn't be that hard to have a quick release saddle mount where one could have it setup beforehand, and soon as it comes out of the oven it is popped on within seconds and the person on it.

And it is not really speculative about cost. Circuitry costs money, having it is going to cost more.

But in general I think it is a good idea. I just tend to overanalyze execution

(assuming of course you don't piss off anyone who realizes all they have to do is turn it on and sit on it to ruin your perfect fit...)
Old 09-25-17, 07:36 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A big question is, do we know for sure that a shape heat-molded this way is the right shape for support while riding? It seems like is should be, but then again is it really bending down to even out the pressure wherever it maxes during the stroke and is that necessarily what's needed? And even if so, won't that change for different styles of riding and effort levels, so we'd abandon any compromise we'd have with other saddles?
Old 09-25-17, 10:44 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A big question is, do we know for sure that a shape heat-molded this way is the right shape for support while riding? It seems like is should be, but then again is it really bending down to even out the pressure wherever it maxes during the stroke and is that necessarily what's needed? And even if so, won't that change for different styles of riding and effort levels, so we'd abandon any compromise we'd have with other saddles?
That's a really really good point.

One of the reasons my SMP Drakon works for me is that my "sit bones" take all the weight on a level surface, not because there's a dent for them (which would actually make other areas take more weight) but because the shape of the saddle is such that there's very little weight on the rest of my tissues. (The SMP sway-back profile means they're pretty much not touching at all. If the saddle were molded exactly to my butt, there would be deeper "divots" where my sit bones make contact...which seems to defeat the purpose.

So, for me, molding the saddle by just sitting on it and pedaling wouldn't actually achieve what I need. I'd need to sit on it and pedal for a bit, then hand mold it in some way--perhaps the way people mold their Bont shoes by heating them and pushing out on the shell with something like the blunt end of a screwdriver--to make the sit bone points level, then making space in the other areas as needed. (I bet I'd end up with something that looks more or less like my SMP. ) See what I mean?

With the above in mind, I still find the idea of custom molding my own saddle really intriguing. Might have to try one, even though I'm very happy with my SMP.
Old 09-25-17, 07:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's the idea I had in mind when I said it might be nice for my stationary bike. On the road, sit bone discomfort is rarely the limiting factor in saddle comfort, probably because of the variability in position, effort level, and all the little bump displacements.

Still, if all else were equal, I'd be interested to try a moldable saddle.
Old 09-25-17, 08:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

And it is not really speculative about cost. Circuitry costs money, having it is going to cost more.
I think you're forgetting that designing, engineering, and building a saddle with the right materials to withstand whole saddle heating while deforming only in the right areas, maintaining acceptable levels of comfort, reliability, and durability also costs money. You're simply assuming that proces is significantly less expensive than the heating element used, which I doubt is momething you can assert is true with any meaningful certainty. That's known as speculating.
Old 09-25-17, 08:18 PM
jefnvk

I think you're forgetting that designing, engineering, and building a saddle with the right materials to withstand whole saddle heating while deforming only in the right areas, maintaining acceptable levels of comfort, reliability, and durability also costs money. You're simply assuming that proces is significantly less expensive than the heating element used, which I doubt is momething you can assert is true with any meaningful certainty. That's known as speculating.
Umm, you have to do that when using a heating element too!
Old 09-25-17, 08:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Umm, you have to do that when using a heating element too!
Guy,

You do not have to engineer adhesives, materials, and structural elements like rails, rail mounts, and other parts of the saddle to be heat resistant to molding temps if they're unaffected by the heating element.