Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Getting to Cat 1 with 8 hours/week?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Getting to Cat 1 with 8 hours/week?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 08:16 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've never used trainingpeaks so I'm not sure what that would entail.

For someone going at it on their own, I think WKO4 is a pretty good tool. That along with the WKO4 facebook group and slowtwitch helped me to do some good analysis and figure out a few things that benefited me enormously in specific racing fitness. It took a lot of toying with, and a lot of video watching and reading and research and some time going back over data (which a newer rider wouldn't likely have), but the benefits were really significant. And those are things other people may figure out on their own, or be good at naturally, but I still hadn't figured it out after four or five seasons as a 1, so it made a difference to me.

And with that said, that's not going to be totally applicable to someone with only a year or two of riding, but if you can have an ongoing analysis and a year-end review, and really start digging into your racing and what it is that holds you back, and what you did when you were successful; that type of stuff can be a big boon when you get to a point where the really talented people start beating up on you (have I mentioned I beat the recently crowned pro national rr champion in a crit this summer... ;D).
I find WKO4 somewhat confusing; not entirely lost but some of the metrics they use are new and I really haven't put in the time to learn them. I'll have to look into that group and videos.

I think some people need coaches others don't. I enjoy the backend of researching training, etc and like making my own training plans. That being said I'm probably losing a few watts by not being coached as I tend to do too much in the mid-low range and not enough in the top end range.
@burnthesheep I used to think Zwift was dumb and silly but I'm a convert now. Smart trainers are more efficient than riding outdoors and with workouts and races in Zwift and TrainerRoad you can get a great workout in a short time. I'm not sure if its like real life, but the fake Alpe d' Huez is a legit workout, as are the races. Now that its winter and our HC climbs will be snowed / iced over, its one of the few options to get a great workout in. The flats around here just have too many stop lights / signs so workouts are very inefficient; same with group rides (although I think its important to ride in a pack to stay sharp).

Also since I hit a beer bottle at about 30 mph descending at night I'm a bit leery to train out in the dark. Held it up though, more luck than anything.
Old 09-10-18, 08:33 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i had a kickr for a while. used it about a dozen times. It was miserable, so I sold it.

maybe I was setting the IF too high, and just got burnt out. But if done correctly, I can see the smart trainer being a huge help actually.. get training done, and listen to some useful podcast. almost makes me want to buy another kickr..
Old 09-10-18, 09:16 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Do 5 hour sessions is all i got