Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Top tube length

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 11:14 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Top tube length

I've got two road bikes, both 22" frames, which I've just been measuring up. My regular commute, a 1993 653 frame, has a 21½" top tube, The other, a 531 frameset dating back to around 1974, has a 22½" top tube. When I was young I used to love the spread out feel of that long top tube but I find now I'm more comfortable with the later one. It's interesting how the design has changed in many ways - the older one is altogether longer with much greater clearance between the wheel and the frame, even allowing that it was designed for 27" wheels rather than the 700c set that it's now running with, and the fork curves out further as well.

Anyhow, my question is this: I'm planning to get the newer bike re-enameled so it's going to be off the road for a while. What would you do to make the older one fit me better? I guess I could move the saddle forward a bit. Would you put a shorter stem on as well, or is that a step too far?
Old 09-11-18, 11:19 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I've got two road bikes, both 22" frames, which I've just been measuring up. My regular commute, a 1993 653 frame, has a 21½" top tube, The other, a 531 frameset dating back to around 1974, has a 22½" top tube. When I was young I used to love the spread out feel of that long top tube but I find now I'm more comfortable with the later one. It's interesting how the design has changed in many ways - the older one is altogether longer with much greater clearance between the wheel and the frame, even allowing that it was designed for 27" wheels rather than the 700c set that it's now running with, and the fork curves out further as well.

Anyhow, my question is this: I'm planning to get the newer bike re-enameled so it's going to be off the road for a while. What would you do to make the older one fit me better? I guess I could move the saddle forward a bit. Would you put a shorter stem on as well, or is that a step too far?
Saddle adjustment is all about cleat/knee/pedal relationships. To change your bike fit beyond that, use different bars/stems/quills.
Old 09-11-18, 11:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I would set up the saddle first. Don't scoot it up for the sake of scooting it up, just set it up so it fits. Then get the appropriate length stem.
Old 09-11-18, 11:34 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I agree with the others. Saddle fore/aft and up/down positions focus on the legs. Your only options for top tube length are the stem, bar or frame. I have a longer torso so would prefer the longer top tube. For example, if I wanted a 120mm stem, then I know I'd need a 56.5cm top tube length (or something close to it) like my Ridley has. The Orbea is a bigger frame so I had to go to a 110mm stem.
Old 09-11-18, 11:44 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
Saddle adjustment is all about cleat/knee/pedal relationships. To change your bike fit beyond that, use different bars/stems/quills.
Indeed. I assume, though, that at least part of that longer top tube is because the frame angle is different. It certainly looks a bit different but I don't have the means to measure it with any degree of accuracy.