Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is official... Trek launched electric Domane

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is official... Trek launched electric Domane

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 08:00 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
And in another 10 years, they'll be lighter and less expensive. I could definitely see it as I get older. And I'll have the time for longer rides then.
When the car industry really gets behind electric cars Im sure development of cheap and powerful batteries will pick up considerably. Tesla appears to lead the pack.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/09...packs-in-2020/
Old 10-05-18, 08:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
When I rode in France, I saw folks on e-bikes able to tour that likely never would have been able to climb those passes without an e-bike. Meaning they saw and could do things they otherwise couldn't. That made me happy for them.

I'm not concerned about it on the local group rides, as it will never be allowed in our group. The hammer ride it is not allowed. In normal racing it is not allowed. So, it doesn't concern me.

Strava is already ruined to an extent, and e-bikes may well finish it off. A pro could show up to the region and destroy the local KOMs also, so there's that. So, I've stopped worrying about it.

If some ass wants to race me on their e-bike, I'll just u-turn and then finish my route once the idiot is out of the way.
Old 10-05-18, 09:35 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts

Blasphemy

Old 10-05-18, 09:57 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts

That thing is hideous! Here's three e-bikes that look much nicer than that Llama looking bike. Heck, even Ribble makes an e-road bike much nicer than Trek.

Last edited by Noctilux.95; 10-05-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 10:52 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That trek is one ugly sob, but then again, it's a trek.
Old 10-05-18, 12:59 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Really? Every time you roll out the door you ride 40-150 miles? I never do or try not to. I don't like being on a bicycle for more than 50 miles, particularly at higher exertion.
Most don't either. Battery life will be fine on this big battery bike. And battery life will only get better with time on e-bikes. On the flats, 100W with this heavier bike will still be a net positive in terms of rider watts saved for the same speed.
Not every time out the door, but I'm at 6040 miles for the year and 188 activities, or averaging just over 32 miles per ride.

Mostly round trip rides including stops, although a few have been recorded on Strava as single legs.

At least 5 of those rides exceeded 130 miles, two of which were towing a trailer for 150+ miles.

I didn't see where a range was specified on the Trek. In my post, I indicated that if one keeps the assist light, one can probably go quite some distance (of course, it is also possible to carry a spare battery). So, for ordinary trips around town, the battery is probably just fine. And, maybe even for those long road trips.

I suppose I'm fine if we can get more people doing those 100+ mile commutes, if they choose to also use some assistance.
Old 10-05-18, 01:19 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
That thing is hideous! Here's three e-bikes that look much nicer than that Llama looking bike. Heck, even Ribble makes an e-road bike much nicer than Trek.
Add in Vivax, weighing in at 10.3 kg. I bet one could drop it below 10kg if one wished.

I'd love to test ride one. See what it sounds and feels like.

You'll be a little limited on power and range with the Vivax system, but it should ride nicely without power (hopefully).
Old 10-05-18, 01:26 PM
carlton

Bikes: canondale silk trail--92 schwinn criss cross--sun atlas x type--fugi odessa--2018 trek domane ALR5 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Concept is cool. But it's to Fugly. No way I'm riding one.
Old 10-05-18, 01:36 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
just get a motorcycle
Or buy a pretty good used car and park and ride with your current bike from a closer location. That's what I did and will do again when I get another car to replace my old one that was totalled. With $6k you can get a lot of car or a lot of motorcycle...
Old 10-05-18, 03:59 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95

And those ebikes don't go as far or as fast.
Depends what you want. I would rather have the Domane with big range and power.
Old 10-05-18, 04:03 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not every time out the door, but I'm at 6040 miles for the year and 188 activities, or averaging just over 32 miles per ride.

Mostly round trip rides including stops, although a few have been recorded on Strava as single legs.

At least 5 of those rides exceeded 130 miles, two of which were towing a trailer for 150+ miles.

I didn't see where a range was specified on the Trek. In my post, I indicated that if one keeps the assist light, one can probably go quite some distance (of course, it is also possible to carry a spare battery). So, for ordinary trips around town, the battery is probably just fine. And, maybe even for those long road trips.

I suppose I'm fine if we can get more people doing those 100+ mile commutes, if they choose to also use some assistance.
Not that you are interested in a ebike for 150 mile efforts but you may want to consider another style of ebike if your focus is long rides...with a discrete battery making it easier to carry a spare battery in a saddle bag.
I am sure the Domane ebike will run big power for 50 miles. All most people need. If you need range, likely having a remote and non downtube integrated battery would be best.
Old 10-05-18, 04:03 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
At least back then they didn't try to call it a bicycle.

Old 10-05-18, 09:29 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How long until the e-bike races start
Old 10-05-18, 09:34 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Reeses
How long until the e-bike races start
Old 10-08-18, 11:32 AM
kauaikit

Bikes: 18 Tidalforce (+3 M750 E+) ebikes, 27 EVG ebikes, 2 Blk '13 A2B Shima, 1 UM '10 Velociti 26", 2 UM Europa's, 2 eZip trail, 1 iZip 24v Urban, 1 eZip 1000 scooter, 1 Chinese 48v ped-scooter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Legality of eBikes

Originally Posted by TimothyH
It's illegal in most states.

-Tim-
Tim....please update your FACTS, before spewing misinformation or FAKE NEWS!

Yes, Federal law is 750watt & 20mph with throttle only. Though to get around that, manufacturers can have an ebike that goes 28mph while pedaling only, or PAS.
Old 10-08-18, 11:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
It's a moped. And you what riding a moped is likened to.
Old 10-08-18, 12:00 PM
kauaikit

Bikes: 18 Tidalforce (+3 M750 E+) ebikes, 27 EVG ebikes, 2 Blk '13 A2B Shima, 1 UM '10 Velociti 26", 2 UM Europa's, 2 eZip trail, 1 iZip 24v Urban, 1 eZip 1000 scooter, 1 Chinese 48v ped-scooter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvai
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...mane/c/B221-6/

I know gigant already has an electric road bike... but is an interesting topic.

While on the one hand, having electric assistance is definitely against a "purist cyclist", I get the idea is a good option to have for long or very tough rides.

I do wonder if using the e-bike can decrease your performance on a regular bike... or feel you "suck" in a regular road bike.

This Domane gives assiatance up to 28 mph... which is higher than most people's cruising speed on a road bike.
--------------------------

Nice looking street ebike.....it's great to see the evolution of these ebikes, especially in the last few years advance so far!

History 101: Electric bikes were patented in 1895, so any "pursit cyclist" needs to embrace reality and know that these electric bikes will dominate and are here to stay! :-)
Old 10-08-18, 12:07 PM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
e-bikes are not bicycles and the riders of these things are definitely not cyclists. Just call them riders.
BLASPHEMY
Old 10-08-18, 12:18 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
Interesting that here's another ebike thread where the majority of posts are from someone who doesn't own an ebike but will happily regale us with the marketing he's internalized as his opinion.
Old 10-08-18, 12:20 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lesiz
e-bikes are not bicycles and the riders of these things are definitely not cyclists. Just call them riders.
BLASPHEMY
After the battery dies its all back to cyclist/bicycle status
Old 10-08-18, 12:22 PM
kauaikit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's a moped. And you what riding a moped is likened to.
How....how, is it possible to be a senior member but so ignorant of eBikes? It's NOT a "mo"ped, since there is no MO. A moped is an ICE motor under 50cc with pedals. Electric bikes @ 750 watts and limited to 20mph is FEDERALLY classified as a BICYCLE and can go anywhere a bicycle is allowed!
Old 10-08-18, 12:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by kauaikit
How....how, is it possible to be a senior member but so ignorant of eBikes? It's NOT a "mo"ped, since there is no MO. A moped is an ICE motor under 50cc with pedals. Electric bikes @ 750 watts and limited to 20mph is FEDERALLY classified as a BICYCLE and can go anywhere a bicycle is allowed!
It's a pedal conveyance with a motor. That's a moped. Motor+pedal. Practical realities are not always controlled by legal definitions.

And watch the name calling, or you might find yourself no longer a member of any sort.
Old 10-08-18, 12:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
--------------------------

Nice looking street ebike.....it's great to see the evolution of these ebikes, especially in the last few years advance so far!

History 101: Electric bikes were patented in 1895, so any "pursit cyclist" needs to embrace reality and know that these electric bikes will dominate and are here to stay! :-)
Many cyclists are proud of the 'embrace the suck' part of cycling. Doing it under their own power is part of that pride.

Many runners would take issue with a motor that helps push the legs even though it could be marketed as allowing the runner to run farther and keep up with others.
Many swimmers would take issue with a motor that helps kick the legs or pull the arms even though it could be marketed as allowing the swimmer to swim longer and keep up with others.
Many basketball players would take issue with a motor in a shoe that allows someone to jump higher even though it could be marketed as allowing a short player to simply jump higher to keep up with others.

In athletic competition and even recreational effort, there is pride in accomplishing something. When others do the same thing but with assistance, it can frustrate people. That is simply human nature.

A co-worker did a 50mi trail ride once where there is maybe 500' of climb in total. He asked me where I had ridden over the weekend and I mentioned how sore I was from the 55mi ride i did the day before. He bragged that it isnt all that tough. I brushed it off because I averaged 5-6mph faster than him and climbed 3000'. It wasnt worth clarifying the differences to him.
Apply that to ebikes.

...or just get angry and swear at other posters. we can see how well that goes over too.

ETA for kauaikit- it was mentioned in a now deleted post that my comments above are not inclusive for the elderly, the out of shape, or handicapped people. My comments seem exclusionary towards those groups because they are exclusionary. I exclude those groups when I am think about an motor assist Domane road bike and discuss road riding.
I absolutely think ebikes are an excellent addition to cycling overall and there is for sure a market that will benefit from ebikes. Getting people out into nature is a good thing and if it takes ebikes to make that happen, then great.

To me, there is a clear distinction between cycling with a friend or family for recreation and fun, and riding competitively for exercise/races/group rides. My comments above are specific to the exercise/races/group rides type of cyclist.

Also- to claim its inconsistent of me to think this way if i drive a car or fly in a plane is absurd. Those are forms of transportation and not recreation. Ill let you in on a secret- motor assist for transportation is a neat idea to me. WHAAA?!?! Yup.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-08-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 12:37 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Relax. You're acting like he kicked your dog.
Old 10-08-18, 01:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
@kauaikit The topic is EBikes. If you want to make personal insults, find another forum.

FOR NOW, Please don't post in this thread again. Thanks

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-08-18 at 01:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.