Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Son's Trek FX Wheels Stolen

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-18, 10:33 PM
xray328

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. We bought our son a Trek FX for Christmas 2017 for him to take with him to Boston for college. He called tonight and told us both the front and rear wheels were stolen. I'm just wondering what his best option is for replacement? I know going back to Trek is going to be the most expensive option and suggested he visit a local bike shop for a more economical solution. What's the best way to prevent this in the future? He had a hefty U lock on the frame but only a cable lock on the wheels. I now see there are wheel nuts that we should have used versus the quick disconnects, what's the best option there? Any idea what this is going to cost him? The bike was $330.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-18, 01:01 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by xray328
Hey guys. We bought our son a Trek FX for Christmas 2017 for him to take with him to Boston for college. He called tonight and told us both the front and rear wheels were stolen. I'm just wondering what his best option is for replacement? I know going back to Trek is going to be the most expensive option and suggested he visit a local bike shop for a more economical solution. What's the best way to prevent this in the future? He had a hefty U lock on the frame but only a cable lock on the wheels. I now see there are wheel nuts that we should have used versus the quick disconnects, what's the best option there? Any idea what this is going to cost him? The bike was $330.

Thanks in advance.

I'll leave the wheel suggestions to others for now, but I will show what I will be doing for myself in respect of wheel security.

ABUS NutFix M5 Axle Set

Watch the YouTube video on the page of the above link and it will show how this locking system works.

If the above is not to your liking, then you could also do what I have been doing in recent years and that is to go with a frame lock and a 1.0 or 1.3m 6mm chain designed to work with the frame lock.

ABUS Pro Shield Plus 5950 Frame Lock

ABUS Pro Tectic / Pro Shield / Shield Chain for frame locks

Now with the above, you could even mix and match.

For the best security, but higher cost and more weight, you could get the ABUS NutFix M5 Axle Set AND the

ABUS Pro Shield Plus 5950 Frame Lock AND the ABUS Pro Tectic / Pro Shield / Shield Chain for frame locks

Or you could get the ABUS NutFix M5 Axle 100 just for the front wheel and for the rear wheel, rely on the ABUS Pro Shield Plus 5950 Frame Lock and not bother with the add-in chain for the front wheel and objects.
Old 10-08-18, 11:13 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Check the local craigslist or a bike shop that sells used parts for a set of wheels. In high theft areas, I often see bikes locked like this:

Also secure the saddle and seatpost as those also get stolen.
Old 10-08-18, 02:02 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
New wheels this is about the cheapest you will get...

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-WH-R501-Wheelset
Old 10-08-18, 03:25 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Sorry to read about your Son’s misfortune. Scum sucking bike thieves be damned!

for my hybrid I use the skewers that require an Allen and open wrench to remove them. Pretty safe set up unless the bike is gonna be parked out of the way for a long time. They are also lighter then regular skewers too. Sorry, can’t remember the name but are made by many manufacturers.
Old 10-08-18, 07:21 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by xray328

Thanks in advance.

Sorry about your loss.

Multiple locks and supplemental security is the way to go for max security. Even with one lock, you can usually wrap it through the seatstay, mounted rear wheel, and unmounted front wheel. Two locks make it easier to get both wheels. It is important to remove as much slack or empty space in the lock.

For wheels, keyed skewers are the way to go. Pinhead make some nice skewers, and even have an option for the seatpost and headset. The advantage is one unique key for all those. A cheap option for headsets, seatpost collar, and seatpost clamp is to crazy glue a ball bearing in the allen recess. If a nice saddle is involved, a cable from the rails to the frame is not a bad idea.

Before you buy the wheels recommended above, make sure your frame has 130mm rear spacing.
Old 10-09-18, 12:04 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Also, does the bike have disk brakes or rim brakes? Velomine has some good and strong budget wheels.
Old 10-09-18, 01:22 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
^ Good question. Was browsing the 2017 Trek catalog, and only the FX 5 and 6 had disc brakes in that year. But still worth asking.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2017

Sorry to hear about the theft, OP. I just went to the local hardware store and got the biggest chain and a cylinder lock that they recommended to go with it. They mentioned that the lock was what they used to lock the outer metal gate for their store in Manhattan. So I knew that it was good enough for me. I always take off my front wheel and lock it with the rear wheel and seat post at work. I also can leave the lock on the bike rack so don't need to carry it. This doesn't cover the seat and seat post. If you're worried about that, then try getting a bike chain wrapped in a small piece of inner tube. Just make it long enough to go from the upper stays and through the seat rails. I see some guys in the city do this and it looked good. I think they also zip tie the middle to make it look like a figure 8 and perhaps to take up some slack.

Edit: Found this page on how to make the chain seat lock: https://thebiketube.com/tutorials/diy...bike-seat-lock

Last edited by ptempel; 10-09-18 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 03:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lightbulb

Now you Know Colleges are where a lot of bikes are stolen, whole or in parts..

maybe you got too nice a bike for him,* and not a good enough lock.

or was not trained on how to do it, or a moment of in attention..

locking skewers, tamper resistant bolts and such handicap your opponent
to use more destructive techniques ..

Maybe a Pre Freshman class on locking your bike
is a good thing for new student orienteering.. ?

* though $300 is pretty basic .. FX?

gluing bearing balls in hex socket cap screws does frustrate parts strippers.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-11-18 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-11-18, 05:15 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
A $330 Trek FX is the FX 1 (the current model is up to $429). An FX 1 has rim brakes and a freewheel hub. OP, this would be a good opportunity to upgrade the bike to a stronger rear cassette hub design. It's pretty much the standard type of rear hub (except for entry level bikes), and you'll have a much easier time finding cassette wheels than freewheel wheels. No other parts changes are required if you do this change -- a cassette wheel will install into the bike just the same as the original wheel did.

You'll need to match the dimensions of the hub to the bike, though. That FX likely has 135mm rear spacing (and 100mm front spacing). You'll need to find wheels with hubs that have this spacing. Check with Trek or your local bike shop to be sure. And then, as others have noted, there are good numbers of security-specific skewers and such available.
Old 10-11-18, 06:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
that sucks. bike shop will be a good option for him. and he's going to have to come up with a better security plan
Old 10-12-18, 02:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
As important for prevention as locks is also how long he's leaving his bike locked outside. Did this happen at night? Can he take his bike indoors at night?

I know when I lived on campus and had no room to store the bike inside, I deliberately employed the too cheap to steal and not that big a deal if they do anyway strategy.

I think it's pretty rare to have a bike messed with when locked outside during a class but that might vary among campuses. Being left out overnight almost asks for it.