Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone Use A Suspension Seatpost?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 04:10 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

This definitely seems to be one of the better designs: the redshift suspension seat post. There are plenty of other designs out there: body float, sun tour, and the old thud buster designs. I was not happy with the LT thud buster btw.

The redshift is a 500 gram design with 35 mm of travel. The design looks excellent but of course, I'm concerned that it will sap power like the thud buster. I wonder what applications it could be used for: gravel? Light trail? Even fast road rides?

Does anyone use a suspension seat post either for road rides or even as a substitute for rear suspension for off road riding?

Old 12-16-18, 04:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I kickstart-ordered one of these at Sea Otter. They originally were supposed to be available in November, but they've had to do some re-designing.

I am going to use it on a steel rigid 2.8" tire bike.
Old 12-16-18, 04:20 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Cane Creek Thudbuster. I've got a LT on my hardtail and a ST on the rear of a tandem. Neither seem to impact power delivery.
Old 12-16-18, 08:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I just put a eeSilk post from Cane Creek on my Langster (that is close to being finished) t and also have a Kinect post from Body Float/Cirrus Cycles which is excellent. I am surprised that one wouldn't like the Thudbuster it is an excellent post. Granted all these posts aren't going to substitute for a full sus but for adding comfort on road and off road they are all great choices and for the weight weenies the eeSilk is not very heavy at all.
Old 12-16-18, 10:45 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Thudbuster en route for my eBike conversion project. The bumps get nastier the faster you go, so help is appreciated
Old 12-17-18, 11:54 AM
pdoege

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use clones of the Ergon CF3 on all my bikes. Clones are very inexpensive on Ebay.

I have a RedShift ShockStop on order, however, I believe that it will be heavier than the Ergon without better functionality.
Old 12-17-18, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
2 Thudbusters on 2 bikes LT came on the Pocket Llama, I bought a ST Replacing an Airwings the Original build used ..

Cane Creek has set back, the German one is a Zero setback design, telescope internal with Splines to not rotate in separate portions..
I wanted setback, the function was fine otherwise..

Now the company has a 3rd offering lighter Ti hardware, for the high end gravel bike buyers ..
Old 12-17-18, 12:43 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I've used the Specialized COBL GOBL-R (cobble gobbler) for ~11,000 miles. It smooths out the road buzz (especially chip and seal) without feeling at all squishy underneath you.
Old 12-17-18, 01:37 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I use a Thudbuster ST on my HT MTB.
It takes the edge of whenever I miss to go light over a bump.
Old 12-17-18, 09:01 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
This definitely seems to be one of the better designs: the redshift suspension seat post. There are plenty of other designs out there: body float, sun tour, and the old thud buster designs. I was not happy with the LT thud buster btw.

The redshift is a 500 gram design with 35 mm of travel. The design looks excellent but of course, I'm concerned that it will sap power like the thud buster. I wonder what applications it could be used for: gravel? Light trail? Even fast road rides?

Does anyone use a suspension seat post either for road rides or even as a substitute for rear suspension for off road riding?
The new suspension seat posts hitting the market are getting better each year. There was really only the Thudbuster and then everyone else. Now we have options! Traditionalist like me like the Brooks Champion Flyer.
Old 12-18-18, 02:52 AM
radroad

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
The new suspension seat posts hitting the market are getting better each year. There was really only the Thudbuster and then everyone else. Now we have options! Traditionalist like me like the Brooks Champion Flyer.
The redshift does look like the best design yet. Looks to be the quality of the body float at a significantly lower price.

The thud buster LT was just a bummer. Saps power like crazy. I HATE the sensation of the seat moving back and down in an arc at the same time. I was happy to get ride of it at a big loss.
Old 12-19-18, 04:40 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just installed the Thudbuster LT on my Specialized Hardrock Sport and went for a test ride. Showed up with the #5 elastomers in place. Not very squishy and I weigh over 200#. Problem is that with a 29" inseam, it was too much "mechanism" between the top of the seat tube and the seat rails. I was barely able to reach the pedals. So it'll be up for sale ...

I might try the ST model as that will fit much better. Still pricey though ... I don't want a spring post - to much weight. So still investigating ...
Old 12-19-18, 10:19 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
I love my Thudbuster ST on my rigid Trek 1120, a 29x3 plus bike. I removed the drop seatpost to install the Thudbuster, mostly because I ride forest service roads more than singletrack. Also, I think I'm a Luddite regarding dropper posts.

There is also a Thudbuster LT on the stoker position of the Fandango mtb hardtail tandem.

The new suspension seat posts? I dunno. What I have now is working.
Old 12-20-18, 07:21 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Consider a Satori seat post. I needed something to take the sting out of my lower back on my rigid gravel bike over potholed pavement and rough gravel roads. Works great and only $30 or so. Even put one on my Trek DS as well. Just couldn't bring myself to shell out $100-$200 on a seat post.
Old 12-20-18, 04:40 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Consider a Satori seat post. I needed something to take the sting out of my lower back on my rigid gravel bike over potholed pavement and rough gravel roads. Works great and only $30 or so. Even put one on my Trek DS as well. Just couldn't bring myself to shell out $100-$200 on a seat post.
How well does the satori work for (fast) road riding? I want something efficient and don't ride gravel much.

Last edited by radroad; 12-20-18 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-20-18, 04:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bodyfloat seatpost is another .... https://cirruscycles.com/
Old 12-20-18, 05:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

The redshift does look like the best design yet. Looks to be the quality of the body float at a significantly lower price.

The thud buster LT was just a bummer. Saps power like crazy. I HATE the sensation of the seat moving back and down in an arc at the same time. I was happy to get ride of it at a big loss.

Did You Put a stiffer eastomers in it? and tighten down the pre load screw running through the 2 elastomer .. ??

you can stiffen them more adjustably , than the ST allows
Old 12-20-18, 05:05 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Did You Put a stiffer eastomers in it? and tighten down the pre load screw running through the 2 elastomer .. ??

you can stiffen them more adjustably , than the ST allows
Yeah, I put in 1 class higher (stiffer) elastomers than recommended for my weight and nearly maxed out preload. The saddle tilts and arcs backward; that's what bothered me. It felt like I was constantly sliding off the back of the saddle. It's a very unnatural feeling and very inefficient for pedaling.
Old 12-20-18, 05:23 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
How well does the satori work for (fast) road riding? I want something efficient and don't ride gravel much.
Nobody is likely to use "fast" as an adjective in describing my riding.. unless it's downhill. Speaking of which, there is a section of N. Maple Rd. here that descends to the river and isn't the best pavement, pretty rough. Seat post works great into the upper 20's at which point I start tapping the brakes like the old pansy that I am.
Old 12-20-18, 06:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Yeah, I put in 1 class higher (stiffer) elastomers than recommended for my weight and nearly maxed out preload. The saddle tilts and arcs backward; that's what bothered me. It felt like I was constantly sliding off the back of the saddle. It's a very unnatural feeling and very inefficient for pedaling.

I never noticed it I removed a Plunger style Zero Offset Seat post a German Airwings Tour I can Sell (It was in an oversize seat tube frame ).

You Doing Big Drop Mountain bike downhills? I Dont..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-21-18 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-21-18, 03:13 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I tried a Satori LT2 earlier this year. I did two mixed 40 miles rides and took it off. It moves up and down too much for my liking on fast smooth road. I'm roughly 190#. First ride I adjusted it a few times and eventually maxxed it out. I took it apart, added some spacers and still couldn't get it to stop moving or to the point it had so much preload it's effectivness on bumps was not worth it. Eyeballing while riding it looked to be moving 1/16 to 3/16 on each stroke with decent power but overall I felt like I was bouncing. Maybe if I was cruising around at 10-12 mph @ ≤ 70 rpm or maybe if I was doing a really long non road trip but not at ≥ 80 on the road... I do long road and off road on the same bike. It is a solid well built unit, it's just not for me. Chances are many wouldn't notice or care about that but I do. Perfect world for me would be a simple design spring post like the Satori but with a selectable hard lockout, even if I had to unsaddle and it took a minute or so.

Last edited by u235; 12-21-18 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-21-18, 05:15 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've used a handful of telescopic ones, and i only liked one of them - it was the only one without a nylon guide bush. Being all-metal it did need to be kept greased (had a corrugated boot), but it was slick and smooth with no play - quite the opposite of the common nylon-bushed ones, which always felt sticky (even when greased) and never rigid enough.

I don't understand what's so difficult about making an all-metal one with a proper oil seal at both ends of the carriage. Makes me inclined to make my own.
Old 12-21-18, 04:35 PM
radroad

Originally Posted by u235
I tried a Satori LT2 earlier this year. I did two mixed 40 miles rides and took it off. It moves up and down too much for my liking on fast smooth road. I'm roughly 190#. First ride I adjusted it a few times and eventually maxxed it out. I took it apart, added some spacers and still couldn't get it to stop moving or to the point it had so much preload it's effectivness on bumps was not worth it. Eyeballing while riding it looked to be moving 1/16 to 3/16 on each stroke with decent power but overall I felt like I was bouncing. Maybe if I was cruising around at 10-12 mph @ ≤ 70 rpm or maybe if I was doing a really long non road trip but not at ≥ 80 on the road... I do long road and off road on the same bike. It is a solid well built unit, it's just not for me. Chances are many wouldn't notice or care about that but I do. Perfect world for me would be a simple design spring post like the Satori but with a selectable hard lockout, even if I had to unsaddle and it took a minute or so.
Off my list it goes. :-)

Redshift (500 grams, 35 mm travel) and Ergon knockoff (half pound? 20 mm flex) are still in play.
Old 12-22-18, 12:30 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I've had one on my old Fuji for years. Bought from Nashbar in the '80s. It uses a 1" diameter elastomer puck about 1" long sandwiched inside of a knee-like joint.

It doesn't 'give' a bunch like a true suspension seatpost, but it does take the 'buzz' out of riding on rougher paved surfaces.

This seatpost is on my '75 Fuji S-10S with well over 50k miles, and that is still the bike's original Fujita Belt saddle, so please excuse the patina on the seat rails

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 12-26-18 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 12-22-18, 12:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

New Cane Creek for the Gravel crowd , the even less travel light weight Ti hardware, 27.2 only the eeSilk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.