Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Most Aero GoPro Placement

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.
View Poll Results: Most aero GoPro mounting position
Front QR skewer
0%
Under front computer mount (BarFly)
46.15%
Bottle mount on seat tube
0%
Under seat
53.85%
Rear QR skewer
0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 02:42 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts

At my level of racing, a few watts saved through aerodynamic considerations could easily mean the difference in finishing 24th or 25th in my next criterium. Despite that fact, I do like to run my GoPro or Virb during races.
I have 5 possible mounts. From a purely aero perspective, which would penalize me the least - see poll and discuss.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-07-18, 03:49 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
in your car
Old 12-08-18, 07:02 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
chest strap probably.... of the choices behind the seat tucked under the seat... but they you are only getting footage in the rear. The rest are probably all ****ty aerowise.. but I'd chose barfly if I had too.
Old 12-10-18, 03:45 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
I voted for "under front computer mount", even though technically behind the seat post is probably more aero - it's just that rear-facing videos are garbage.

my race videos
Old 12-10-18, 08:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Aero? I would say seat. Video quality? bar mount.

A quick aside: I know you didn't ask so this is more for everyone else. When they first came on the scene I liked watching some race video. like 5% of the race as no one seems to know how to edit to the interesting parts. Because of this lack of editing I just don't bather ever really watching them at all anymore. Every week there are stacks of them that are posted and shared and I just couldn't imagine wanting to watch one ever again. Don't know if I am alone in this or not. I get the course preview stuff and/or using the data overlay to scout your competition but....just to watch?

Old 12-11-18, 05:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001

A quick aside: I know you didn't ask so this is more for everyone else. When they first came on the scene I liked watching some race video. like 5% of the race as no one seems to know how to edit to the interesting parts. Because of this lack of editing I just don't bather ever really watching them at all anymore. Every week there are stacks of them that are posted and shared and I just couldn't imagine wanting to watch one ever again. Don't know if I am alone in this or not. I get the course preview stuff and/or using the data overlay to scout your competition but....just to watch?
This is pretty spot on.I really don't want to sit through a full race.
Old 12-11-18, 12:00 PM
bbbean 

FTR - I'm with you on watching an entire unedited race. That's only of interest to me, someone else who was in the race, or someone else with a specific interest in the course or one of the racers. But I do enjoy seeing videos from my competitors and occasionally gain insights into what was actually going on vs what I thought was going on. I've had a competitor use one of my videos to try to put together what happened in a crash. The videos don't cost me anything to make or post, so they're akin to throwing a post out on a web forum.

WRT aero - I would have assumed under the seat wold be the most aero mount - clearly under the Garmin or on the front skewer are just wind blocks. But I was recently listening to an engineer defend aero seatposts, and he made the argument that by virtue of your body and legs funneling air into the seatpost, aero considerations were very important in that area. So I've been sticking the camera on the rear skewer, thinking that the air flow is already disturbed from pedaling and my foot, but I'm ambivalent about it.

From an aesthetic perspective, the skewer mounts do give a nice perspective on the race, show a little of the wheel, and can face forward or rearward. I'm partial to rear facing video (I'd rather look at faces than butts), but I usually choose a direction based on whether I think there will be more to see in front of me or behind me.

Old 12-14-18, 08:02 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Research another maybe Chinese equivalent that gives the same file format in a “bullet” shape with curved front lens cover. Then put it in your stem and use one of those two sided stem caps the leaves the front open.

Solved.

Old 12-15-18, 05:22 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
in your car
Circle gets the square. Worry about the race.
Old 12-16-18, 09:03 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts

I was surprised to get feedback from (some) youtube subscribers that they wanted full 1-hour crits so they could them on while on the trainer..

But me personally I would never watch a full race video, even my own. Especially not my own probably lol.

my race videos
Old 12-18-18, 03:54 PM
bbbean 

I love the fact that I can ask a specific question: "Which is the most aero placement for a device" in hopes of discovering some wind tunnel data or at least educated discussion on aerodynamics, and instead I get a discussion of video editing and race tactics. Very helpful guys, thanks!

Old 12-18-18, 05:00 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I love the fact that I can ask a specific question: "Which is the most aero placement for a device" in hopes of discovering some wind tunnel data or at least educated discussion on aerodynamics, and instead I get a discussion of video editing and race tactics. Very helpful guys, thanks!
Aka, what's actually important...
Old 12-18-18, 05:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
At my level of racing, a few watts saved through aerodynamic considerations could easily mean the difference in finishing 24th or 25th in my next criterium. Despite that fact, I do like to run my GoPro or Virb during races.
I have 5 possible mounts. From a purely aero perspective, which would penalize me the least - see poll and discuss.
In your jersey, between your shoulder blades. It will reduce the turbulence and low pressure drag from your helmet. (Do check the racing rules, I believe UCI wil consider this illegal.)

Ben
Old 12-20-18, 12:24 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Here you go:
Old 12-20-18, 09:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
too bad they didn't also test a chest mount
Old 12-20-18, 11:29 AM
bbbean 

Thanks! Don't know why that didn't show up in my previous googling.
I suppose the up front mount had the least penalty because it was close to the stem. Wonder if the drag would be closer to above the stem when mounted under an out front Garmin (1-2" in front of headset).
BB

Originally Posted by UmneyDurak

Old 12-21-18, 10:14 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I have a Hero5 Session that I mount out-front under my Garmin. I feel like it's not too bad vs. the larger surface area of a standard Hero.

The main drawback is the battery life of course, so I just pick & choose when to turn it on/off. Pretty easy to do while riding.

Apparently it wasn't a very popular product, as it's been discontinued - but I like it FWIW.