Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

3 speed IGH winter bike

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

3 speed IGH winter bike

Old 12-19-18, 03:30 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
3 speed IGH winter bike

Can anyone recomend a 3 speed internal gear hub bike for a winter bike. I've considered a inexpensive cruiser, a hybrid or building a single speed 29er MTB into a 3 speed. I've never had a 3 speed IGH but I think for winter riding that would be enough. The cruiser is the most affordable. Geometry wise I would probably like the hybrid or the MTB more. The cruiser and the MTB would allow me wider tires, which I would prefer. I forgot to mention I would have to buy studded tires. I've been leaving my bike in 3rd and just shifting the front chain ring but I don't know if that compairs to the gearing of a three speed. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-19-18, 07:45 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't mean recommend a specific bike. I was wondering if anyone else has used a 3 speed internal gear hub bike as a winter bike.

Last edited by baldilocks; 12-20-18 at 04:55 AM.
Old 12-20-18, 05:04 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My winter bike is a 3-speed. I have only ridden it one winter, and last winter was pretty mild, but I was very pleased with the X-RD3 and X-FDD hubs for winter riding. When I was looking, there were no complete bikes available with those hubs, so I had to build one.
Old 12-23-18, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
SA 3 speed gearing is dependent on the hub cog, 13 to 22t you pick one, and your chainring size, rhat's your 2nd gear
1st is 3/4 of that 0.75; ... 3rd is 4/3 of 2nd, 1.33 X multiplied by your wheel size..

I'm Using a Sturmey Archer Drum brake hub on my winter bike , they also make a drum brake 3 speed IGH hub and have since the dawn of time..

Now they also make 4, 5 and 8 speed .. and the Cassette Freehub... and screw on freewheel models.. I have been using the latter for 30 years..

On a old Stumpjumper frame I got with a Broken dropout.. repaired, found a fork and so forth piece by piece..

If I had a use, like upper midwesterners do , Id rebuild the wheel with an SA drum IGH,,, but here snow is an occurrence, not a season..

My winter rain bike, now, is a R'off Disc brake bike Friday Pocket Llama*, with trekking bars ..

* High BB is a mixed blessing .. feet stay dry (rain cape) but I have to shift off saddle to put a foot down ..

you nay have to build your perfect bike , rather than like a computer expect it to be plug and play.....

Shop for something that has a lot of things going for it... right size frame, fork etc, then change the bits you want to be better..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-01-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 07:57 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by baldilocks
Can anyone recomend a 3 speed internal gear hub bike for a winter bike. I've considered a inexpensive cruiser, a hybrid or building a single speed 29er MTB into a 3 speed. I've never had a 3 speed IGH but I think for winter riding that would be enough. The cruiser is the most affordable. Geometry wise I would probably like the hybrid or the MTB more. The cruiser and the MTB would allow me wider tires, which I would prefer. I forgot to mention I would have to buy studded tires. I've been leaving my bike in 3rd and just shifting the front chain ring but I don't know if that compairs to the gearing of a three speed. Your input is greatly appreciated.
There are a number of 3 speed bikes for sale on Bikes Direct.

I will say this about the 3 speed hub (Shimano) in the winter. It tends to loose efficiency because the cold freezes the internals. The hub doesn't come to a screeching halt, but you will find yourself using more energy than a regular derailleur bike.
Old 01-01-19, 04:08 PM
fietsbob
Banned

S-A uses light oils, in the gears.. Shimano (coaster or Roller brakes), uses grease ... but they' re cheaper and BD is all over cost cutting..

Old 01-03-19, 03:55 PM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
S-A uses light oils, in the gears.. Shimano (coaster or Roller brakes), uses grease ... but they' re cheaper and BD is all over cost cutting..

does this mean Sturmey Archers are better in cold temps? I have the Alfine 8 and find it seems a little draggy in cold temperatures. also thinking of going to 3 speed to bring hub weight down.
Old 01-04-19, 12:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

People Open up Alfine 8 speed hubs de grease and ATF dunk them .. while apart consider fitting an oil port in the hubshell ..

thread and plug a screw hole..
Old 01-04-19, 03:40 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I've never had a Shimano IGH, but my SA 3-speed feels the same in the summer and winter.