Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Dealing with Medical Situations

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Dealing with Medical Situations

Old 02-07-19, 09:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Do you feel the same way about Medicare?
What do you know about U.S. Medicare? I assume nothing. Your "question" has no relevance to the subject or any of its discussion.

Medicare is paid for by taxes collected from workers and specifically collected as insurance for certain medical expenses of seniors who have paid into the system for at least approximately 10 years. Medicare benefits are not paid out for any old expenses that some people would rather not pay themselves.
Old 02-08-19, 01:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Let's not get political.
Old 02-08-19, 07:21 AM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
When I lived in Winnipeg and burned my foot to the bone ...

May I know how it happened? When you say burn, you mean fire right? Not acid or chemical burns.
Old 02-09-19, 10:29 PM
Lively or Not

Bikes: 1985 Raleigh Portage, 1976 Araya commuter (yes, they make frames)

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I'm looking for something similar here.

I can take the bus to work, the walking part of that isn't too far yet ... although it may become too far if the diagnosis results in a "NO walking" order.

Plus I've discovered that there appears to be 3 community transport options for getting to appointments and other things. However, the first criteria is that a person would have to be 65 years old ... or disabled.

OK, I might qualify under the "or disabled" but I think I would need to be able to prove it, and a bad limp isn't enough. It would have to be a medical certificate.
Have you asked your doctor(s) what other patients do in such situations? Surely they - or better yet, their staff - would have some ideas.
Old 02-09-19, 10:41 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Lively or Not
Have you asked your doctor(s) what other patients do in such situations? Surely they - or better yet, their staff - would have some ideas.
Not likely.

They seem surprised when I stop them in the middle of giving me directions to the best parking locations nearby and tell them I'm walking so I would prefer a direct route.
Old 02-09-19, 11:36 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Dealing with Medical Situations ... after the emergency has passed.

Now I'll ask the question, how do you deal with medical situations? Situations where you can't ride your bicycle or walk ... and can't drive.

What services do you have in your area to help you?

Obviously if it is really bad, you'll call an ambulance. But suppose you need to get to important medical appointments or carry on every-day life while not being able to get out and about.
Not likely.

They seem surprised when I stop them in the middle of giving me directions to the best parking locations nearby and tell them I'm walking so I would prefer a direct route.
Apparently you could get around and were not so disabled then; what condition/circumstances means "not being able to get out and about" to you?

Surely you don't mean an unwillingness to pay for local taxi service to get to and from important medical appointments when you actually are unable to transport yourself or arrange transportation with family, friends or neighbors.
Old 02-10-19, 01:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Apparently you could get around and were not so disabled then; what condition/circumstances means "not being able to get out and about" to you?
No, my second comment was in regard to a situation before I was unable to walk.

Sorry to confuse you. Rowan and I have had a lot of medical appointments ... just about every day of the week. For a week, I was unable to walk to them or drive to them. With the potential for that situation to continue for another 6 weeks (broken hip). Fortunately it was only a week.

Prior to that, when I enquired about getting to these various appointments, they assumed that all their patients could drive and would be driving, and the idea of another method of transportation confused them. Knowing that, I rather doubt they would be able to offer a solution for being unable to walk or drive.

Last edited by Machka; 02-10-19 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-10-19, 10:15 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Prior to that, when I enquired about getting to these various appointments, they assumed that all their patients could drive and would be driving, and the idea of another method of transportation confused them. Knowing that, I rather doubt they would be able to offer a solution for being unable to walk or drive.
Assuming that taxi service is available in your area, I suspect that the staff at the medical places would have been quite able to suggest a solution - more than likely it would be that you or Rowan take a taxi to your appointments, if friends or neighbors were not available for providing door to door transportation. That is the same solution suggested by several respondents to your OP.

Whether you would prefer to not pay taxi fares, or payment might cause a financial hardship is a different issue.
Old 02-10-19, 01:10 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I'm not worried about regular appointments, I can get my dog there. I'm just thinking about if an injury occurs. I saw someone's dog get attacked by an off leash dog while walking and their dog was hurt pretty badly, bleeding, etc. I don't imagine a taxi would respond quickly enough nor want a bleeding animal inside. It's only life-threatening emergencies I'm worried about......where getting my dog to the emergency vet fast matters, and I don't have time to make arrangements. I guess I would have to hope one of my neighbors was home....I can't find any other solution. Fingers crossed I will never need this, it's really the only situation where I cannot figure out a solution for me not having a car. $$$ would not be an issue, I'd pay whatever to get my dog to the vet, so flagging down a stranger and offering a hundred bucks might work or whatever.
I've taken Uber with cats before - you can just send them a message once a driver is assigned to make sure that it's OK.

One driver told me that company policy requires them to accept dogs. I don't quite believe it, but I imagine most drivers would be fine, especially if you have blankets to collect hair/drool and you tip well!
Old 02-10-19, 04:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Assuming that taxi service is available in your area, I suspect that the staff at the medical places would have been quite able to suggest a solution - more than likely it would be that you or Rowan take a taxi to your appointments, if friends or neighbors were not available for providing door to door transportation. That is the same solution suggested by several respondents to your OP.

Whether you would prefer to not pay taxi fares, or payment might cause a financial hardship is a different issue.
At $80/round trip, over 4-6 weeks, it would have definitely started to add up.

Thankfully, the hip is not broken. Just damaged tendon and cartilage ... so I can still walk a bit.
Old 02-11-19, 10:22 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah, "just use a taxi" is a valid response to an occasional, non-critical emergency (like you have to get there, but don't need an ambulance). It's not a cost-effective solution for long-term, continuing medical needs, or even for short-term-but-frequent needs. I have been fortunate in that I've not been so injured that I couldn't ride. I also have a bus option, provided I can walk the first and last block. Not a responsible option, though, when I have a potentially infectious disease.

And I've also noticed a complete lack of bike support at any of my medical destinations. I've had two doctors' offices in recent memory where I had to find signs (usually the handicap-parking sign) to lock up to, and I had a recent, overnight stay at the hospital where I had to get creative to lock up in the parking garage. Sure, a lot of people going to these places are not in good shape to bike, walk, etc., but plenty are. It's ironic that I go for a physical where a doctor encourages me to be more physically active while working out of an office building that does nothing to encourage people arriving by anything but a car.
Old 02-19-19, 01:27 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Let's not get political.
The availability of public assistance in getting to medical appointments is, unfortunately, a political question. I live in an area where disabled seniors can go to their appointments for a modest fee. My neighbor who can't walk on her own, uses it regulerly. This is so because of a political decision. It is not true everywhere in the US.

I'm sort of surprised that you don't have something similar, since in most ways you are way ahead of us in providing medical care.
Old 02-19-19, 02:58 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
The availability of public assistance in getting to medical appointments is, unfortunately, a political question. I live in an area where disabled seniors can go to their appointments for a modest fee.

My neighbor who can't walk on her own, uses it regulerly. This is so because of a political decision. It is not true everywhere in the US.

I'm sort of surprised that you don't have something similar, since in most ways you are way ahead of us in providing medical care.
Since you live in Boston, @ironwood , I posted earlier about my nearly ideal situation for car-free (or car-light) medical situations.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So too, Boston is a medical mecca, and major teaching hospitals are within about two miles, and we have a car parked nearby. For a personal crisis, one is always advised, don't drive yourself.

A
mbulances, taxis, and Uber are always available, and subway lines bring you to a short walk of a Hospital or doctor's office, at least where we live...
Location, location, location...

PS: Apropos of this thread, "Dealing with Medical Situations,"I recently replied (link) to a General Cycling Discussion thread, "Life-saving cyclists" about cycling Emergency Medical Technicians.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-19-19 at 08:35 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-20-19, 07:15 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
And we have The Ride, to take us to scheduled medical appointments if we are disabled. This answers Machka's question. www.mbta.com/accessibility/the-ride .
Old 04-04-19, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Australia has National Health care , that helps a lot.. USA has for profit health insurance corporations

with money to sponsor sports teams and stadium naming deals ,

from overcharging premiums , and then treatment denial ...

As A US Military Veteran, in Oregon , a number of Vans are owned by the VA Hospital ,
and recruits driver volunteers from the community..

they get you to appointments at the VA Hospitals (Roseberg , Portland )

[ I happen to have a house a short walk to where the van is parked ]

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-05-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 05:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Once I contemplated renting a cheap motel room close to the hospital so I wouldn't need to drive (or be driven) the following days of follow up.
"Contemplating" a course of action , with no ability or willingness to follow up on such "contemplation", is not a solution to dealing with any problem, medical or otherwise.
Old 04-05-19, 05:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Once I contemplated renting a cheap motel room close to the hospital so I wouldn't need to drive (or be driven) the following days of follow up.
"Contemplating" a course of action , with no ability or willingness to follow up on such "contemplation", is not a solution to dealing with any problem, medical or otherwise.
I had interpreted “contemplating" as considering alternatives, as originally requested in the OP:
Dealing with Medical Situations ... after the emergency has passed.

…Now I'll ask the question, how do you deal with medical situations? Situations where you can't ride your bicycle or walk ... and can't drive.

What services do you have in your area to help you?

Obviously if it is really bad, you'll call an ambulance.
But suppose you need to get to important medical appointments or carry on every-day life while not being able to get out and about.
I am familiar with several houses associated with hospitals that provide housing for relatives of patients at least; e.g Ronald McDonald, Fisher Houses.

So staying near the Hospital for intensive (e.g. daily) outpatient visits seems like a good idea, if possible and affordable, and may further aid in recovery (at least no vital sign checks every two to four hours round the clock).

My (rhetorical) question to @mtb_addict would be, so what did you do, and how did it compare to your “contemplation”?

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-05-19 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-05-19, 10:30 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Yehuda to the rescue!

Australia has Medicare as well as private health insurance, plus Ambulance service (subscribe, or pay ala carte) for accident/emergencies.

But we are still very car-centric, even in CBDs & inner suburbs... that said, the huge thing that'll stop me driving to a city hospital is their crazy PARKING fees which are as bad as our airport parking fees. Anything more than a hour or 3 there's good chance that an Uber is cheaper.

If ever needing to send family member to hospital appointment... I'd drive them to outpatients, get them checked in whilst parked in short term area (15-30mins) then move car far far away... so far I might have a bike in the boot to get back in.

Then I discover I've left the stackhat elsewhere Don't get me started on Mandatory Helmet Laws.
Old 04-09-19, 05:05 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Get to know you neighbors who have cars =). Yesterday I completely spaced out on a dentist appointment and, by the time I remembered, I had 15 minutes to get there. They charge for no-shows. It takes me 30 minutes to bike there, maybe 20 if I can catch a tailwind and my knees aren't complaining. So I ran to a neighbor and begged to use her car. No problem. On the way back, I stopped and bought her some flowers. She was happy, and would be glad to lend the car anytime. I saved a rather large no-show fee. Crap happens and you can't always be prepared (although I now have multiple alarms set for my next dentist appointment). Yeah, it wasn't a car-free moment, but every other day is, so I'm fine with it. Check with your neighbors and see if you can work out an occasional car share.