Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Glasses - Polarized or Photochromatic?? What to you ride in?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 04:49 PM
FordTrax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I would like some advice. I am in my mid-50s and need reading glasses in order to do any kind of close up work; e.g. read, repair bike, use cell phone. Pretty much anything close in. I have a minor correction for distance but basically my distance vision is good. I current wear a cheap pair of readers on a chain around my neck when I ride. I try to ride 5 days a week so I ride about 150 miles a week when once they days get longer. I currently don't wear any eye protection - which needs to change - since I have taken the usual bug strike, chips and dirt in the eye while riding. I guess i should point out that I was 20/20 till 5 years ago when my eyes finally got old - while it is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things my inability to see close-up is a source of some frustration for me since I am very active.

So this year I decided I am going to spring for prescription glasses for riding. I plan to use sports rated frames and lens for impact resistance. Since these will be corrected for both reading and distance I plan to wear them 100% of the time when I ride (I don't ride at night so don't worry). Since these are going to be a fairly significant investment I want to make sure I do this right. My eye doctor took a fair amount of time giving me options for frames and lens and fitting me. I was thinking going to polarized photo chromatic lenses. However, after doing some research I saw reports where polarized lens can effect your view of phone screens, gps units, etc. I use RidewithGPS on my cell phone on virtually every ride so this is a potential problem. So now I am thinking maybe I don't want polarized photo chromatic lenses and perhaps just go to photo chromatic and call it good. I really like the idea of photo chromatic for this I and I was pretty sure I wanted polarized lens for glare. Then I searched the web...and well now I am second guessing myself.

So I would really appreciate your experiences with polarization and photo chromatic lens. How did photo chromatic lens work for you - did they change fast enough in most cases? For those of you that have tried polarized lens how did that work out? Anyone try the polarized photo chromatic combo? Also, any color recommendations for the tint - I need something that will work morning, day, and evenings on sunny, snowy, and cloudy days (I try to avoid rain ).

Thank you sharing your thoughts and experiences. This is a big decision for me and a decent investment.
Old 03-03-19, 04:58 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,517 Times in 2,859 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...y-cycling.html
Old 03-03-19, 05:02 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Old 03-03-19, 05:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have not used photochromatic lenses so nothing to offer there. Re polarized: I don't like them for cycling. They make it difficult to read my Garmin and dark spots on the pavement look weird. I am a fan of Smith, lots of non-polarized options.
Old 03-03-19, 05:23 PM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When it's dark or overcast, I wear yellow tinted safety glasses. When It's sunny I wear cheap sun glasses. I believe they are polarized. They have fallen out of my trunk bag and I don't worry because they are highly affordable.
Old 03-03-19, 05:36 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I use photo-chromatic when I'm up against dawn or dusk in my ride, but other times I use lenses that are contrast enhancing - like Oakley Prizm trail or road. I have tried polarized and don't like them for cycling for reasons mentioned above.
Old 03-03-19, 05:50 PM
Glenn6870 

Bikes: 2022 Giant Revolt Advanced; 2017 Giant Contend SL2 Disc; 1997 Trek Singletrack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I have Rudy Project sunglasses and use PhotoChromatic lenses. Love them. They will adjust as conditions change. If you ride into a tunnel, they wont change that fast, but that’s a very rare occurrence. I rode yesterday and it was overcast when i started so the lenses were fairly clear. By the end of my ride the sun was out and the lenses were full dark.
Old 03-03-19, 05:50 PM
FordTrax

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
"I use photo-chromatic when I'm up against dawn or dusk in my ride, but other times I use lenses that are contrast enhancing - like Oakley Prizm trail or road. I have tried polarized and don't like them for cycling for reasons mentioned above."
"I have not used photochromatic lenses so nothing to offer there. Re polarized: I don't like them for cycling. They make it difficult to read my Garmin and dark spots on the pavement look weird. I am a fan of Smith, lots of non-polarized options"

Thanks for the input - look like we have two clear "NO" votes on polarized lens so far. I am interested to see if others have had the same experience with polarized lens.
Old 03-03-19, 09:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
No polarized as it reduces visibility of the GPS screen.

Yes photochromatic. I love it.

FWIW, mine are Rx lenses from Oakley.

-Tim-
Old 03-04-19, 09:46 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
No polarized as it reduces visibility of the GPS screen.

Yes photochromatic. I love it.

FWIW, mine are Rx lenses from Oakley.

-Tim-
Same here......photo and by Oakley. Very pleased!
Old 03-04-19, 09:56 AM
Greyhounds

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have Oakley Prizm Polarized lenses, (Ruby and Road), and I can read my Wahoo Elemnt screen just fine, and have no issues with them in any way. However, I have used polarized lenses from less expensive "off-brands" and have had trouble reading cycling computer screens, cell-phone etc. I'm not saying Oakleys are any better than any other brand, I'm simply saying that they work perfectly fine for me.
Old 03-06-19, 05:48 AM
skyblue1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greyhounds
I have Oakley Prizm Polarized lenses
Likewise and they've never let me down (other than losing them a half dozen times but I can't really blame them for that).
Old 03-07-19, 09:56 AM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
Tifosi photo-chromatic for me as I ride a lot in the late afternoons/evenings.
Old 03-07-19, 12:38 PM
FordTrax

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks

I called the eye doctor and requested a price on brown photochromatics with anti-glare coating in my prescription. I am not going to take a chance on polarization - and the chance that I will not be able to see my screens. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-07-19, 02:39 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Day or night - Tifosi Photochromatic.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress