Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Genze e101 - first-hand impressions?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 01-06-19, 05:02 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts

Noodling around Costco with the kids today, I saw that Genze has their e101 for sale at $1,300 here. I haven’t seriously considered an e-bike, since my commute allows me to drive down to the flat part of Oakland and ride about 4 miles relatively flat into the office. However, I suspect an e-bike could make me a car-free commuter. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the Genze? Costco has this special for a week, so I have some time to mull it over.

Most of my hill riding would be very steep, but it’s only a mile or so, and this Genze has a pedal-free moped mode for when I’m really pooped.

I test rode a Trek almost a year ago (don’t remember the model), but only very briefly, and I didn’t seriously consider it at the time.
Old 01-06-19, 10:32 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
It would be helpful if you could test a similar rear hub system on this hill because it's important to be able to maintain a hub motor at a minimum of 50% of top speed (in this case 20 mph) or too much energy is transferred into heat which could potentially damage the motor. Good chance this isn't an optimum choice for hill climbing.
Old 01-06-19, 11:55 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Check out Costco's return policy on this item. Usually, it is pretty good....you may be able to buy it, try it, and return it within some window if you aren't thrilled.
Old 01-07-19, 01:09 AM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If that Genze e101 is the 250 watt version, avoid it. Because of its weight, gearing, and anemic motor, the 250 is not a climber. In 'moped mode' it will bog on hills. Apparently, a newer 350w version is available.

You didn't ask, but a 250w motor in a mid-drive configuration can climb steep hills with only moderate rider effort, and do it with loaded panniers. A 250w mid is stronger than a 350 watt hub. If you are going to get seriously involved in ebike commuting, consider the better tool.
Old 01-07-19, 11:54 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
This is really helpful advice - thanks all!
Old 02-27-19, 11:39 PM
rbhamilton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey people. Nice to find an ebike forum!

I've got 5 Genze's so I know a bit about them but Genze is my only ebike experience so clearly I'm no ebike expert.

Genze has two series of ebikes. 100 series and 200 series. The 100 series is a bit more basic and lower price. 200 series has more bells and whistles, an app whatnot. All my bikes are 100 series.

There are two frame styles. The 101 (ladies) and the 102 (mens) although with my poor old legs a step through might be nicer. There are 3 frame sizes. 16", 18" and 20". The ladies style doesn't come in 20". The seat extends on a very long post but the handle bars are fixed in place and don't extend.

Of my 5 Genze bikes, I can say there are 3 different "generations" in the 100 series. This isn't official from Genze - just my observation based on my own purchases and looking at the web site.

The oldest has a down tube that has square edges. The battery is a boxy as well and a bit wider. The controller LCD screen is vertical. All of this series have a 250w hub. The bikes are all silver.

The next generation in the 100 series (I have 2 of these) have the same 250w hub. The LCD panel is horizontal. The down tube has rounded edges. The battery is longer and narrower but the same weight and power as the older series. There may or may not be a USB port for charging cell phones. The bikes are all silver.

The latest (last?) generation of the 100 series (I have 2 of these) have a 350w hub. The battery is identical to the 2nd gen. The bikes can be either flat black or silver although most seem to be black.

The bike has 5 levels of pedal assist and a twist throttle mode. Yes I know that's illegal some places. But I guess Genze owners are rebels.

I would say the 350w has more power and more pick-up and more ability to haul my fat ass up steep hills but the 250's are just fine too. On the straight and level they all max out at 20mph. Range is decent. I can easily do a 20 mile trip using a combination of pedal assist and throttle (I'm lazy so let's be honest and say mostly throttle) and I still come in with 30 -45% battery. I just did a 100% full throttle run 20mph all the way to home depot and back - 8 miles round trip - I came in with 50% battery left.

I added a basket and some saddle bags to my bike. The extra weight might cut into distance but worth it for me. To add the basket I had to move the LCD control which Genze really doesn't want you to do. I tried to post a pic of the bikes and links to the saddles and basket but that's not allowed for new members to the forum. Sorry... maybe later.
Old 02-28-19, 10:41 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Closeout on the 250W model. Probably returns and demos? It's your typical 250W ebike, but with an integrated battery which is a plus in my opinion. Probably not enough power for someone who thinks an ebike is not to be pedalled, and I've never biked in a place like San Francisco either. For short hills that you can already ride (or barely ride) on a regular bike, 250W is sufficient power with the rider downshifting to lower gears and helping out.

For flat place like Chicago, it would be enough for a pedal assist bike.

https://www.genze.com/products/e101-...on-id-s017850/
Old 03-03-19, 09:35 PM
rbhamilton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Closeout on the 250W model. Probably returns and demos? It's your typical 250W ebike, but with an integrated battery
I can confirm that there are a bunch of Closeouts, old stock, scratch and dent and returns. Refurbished but not clear what being refurbished means.

I just bought 3 of these. All the ones I bought were in the 100 series but there are differences depending on when they were manufactured (see my post above).

1 was old school original with 0 miles. The next was the 2nd generation with 11 miles. The third was the newest generation in the 100 series flat black with 350w hub and 0 miles. Two of these were at the $749 valentines day price. One was at the used price of $1200. So there are some deals to be had for sure. But there were also bikes with hundreds of miles on them, multiple scratches and dents. So be careful and check the description first.

And as for the integrated battery - it's removable - which is a huge plus. It's even got a key lock to secure it on the bike. You unlock the battery and it slides out slick and easy. You can take it in with you to charge up or keep safe (they cost $350 to replace). Or you can charge it in place on the bike.

The 250w hub will haul me up a steep hill if I pedal to the max. The 350w hub has a lot more power. Both bikes max out at 20mph on level ground. With me pedaling like a fool and the bike on full throttle I hit 22mph today on level ground.

Last edited by rbhamilton; 03-03-19 at 09:39 PM.