Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Curious about this frame

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Curious about this frame

Old 04-14-19, 04:15 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Curious about this frame

On the image below where the downtube connects to the bottom bracket what is the connection there, is it some sort of simplistic lug and the downtube is brazed inside? Not seen a bike frame that looks quite like that before. It's an old Raleigh Gritstone from about 1994/5. Just curious about the braze/weld. It's a step up quality bike for Raleigh at the time utilising a Altus drivetrain with 7 speed freehub so neither bottom or top of the range of bikes. The frame is a basic high tensile steel frame with what they call 'energiser' stays presumably because they don't flex and quite thick or even solid. While the bike is definitely assembled in England I'm unsure if the frame was manufactured in the UK or imported.

Old 04-14-19, 09:12 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
This frame has the look of MiG welding, but I'm no welder so... can't be sure. MiG is not a common joining process for steel bike frames. This frame's shell doesn't seem to have any sockets/lugs but the tubes are directly contacting the shell and then "butt" welded to the shell. Not so well it seems

More views from different angles might confirm if the shell has cracked (looks like it IMO) and whether the weld bead got any penetration on/in the seat tube and shell.

This is not at all what most here would call "a step up quality bike" at all. Rather a very entry level low price focused bike. Andy
Old 04-14-19, 01:10 PM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Another image from a different angle that also shows the thickness of the join of the chainstay.

Old 04-14-19, 02:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
More views from different angles might confirm if the shell has cracked (looks like it IMO) and whether the weld bead got any penetration on/in the seat tube and shell.
I don't think it is broken.

It looks like a very odd derailleur hanger sitting on top of the shell, also what looks like an integrated chain catcher.

It may be removable.

I see some writing on the top of bracket. Perhaps clean off the writing and give more info.
Old 04-14-19, 06:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
On third viewing I think you are correct. The shadow in photo 1 looked like a real nasty crack. My comments about the joining method and bike grade stand. Andy
Old 04-15-19, 02:13 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This frame has the look of MiG welding, but I'm no welder so... can't be sure. MiG is not a common joining process for steel bike frames. This frame's shell doesn't seem to have any sockets/lugs but the tubes are directly contacting the shell and then "butt" welded to the shell. Not so well it seems

This is not at all what most here would call "a step up quality bike" at all. Rather a very entry level low price focused bike. Andy
I wasn't stating the frame necessarily represented step up quality but the Altus components with a 7 speed freehub was well above bottom end pricing of the time when many of their models featured lower end components and freewheels. It is my intention to convert the bike into a drop bar touring bike with a 1x wide range 11-34t 7 cassette setup. The bike seems exceptionally strong and of course a bit heavy.

https://veterancycleclublibrary.org.u...20Library).pdf
Old 04-15-19, 07:09 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,663 Times in 2,497 Posts
I am not fully up on all forms of welding in manufacturing, but I think the technique used on that frame involved just getting everything very hot and smashing the parts together. That's why the weld beads are so large, they are really part of the tube. I'm sure it's quite strong and that frame is probably very heavy.