Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chose wrong bike for hill climbing, help!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chose wrong bike for hill climbing, help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 08:44 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
Not insincere. Riding a sustained incline is more mindset than anything. Developing power necessary to climb efficiently is more effectively done without all the climbing that you may have been under the impression is required when you have not the base.

But, whatever. You do what you want.
Where do you come up with this nonsense? You may be sincere but you clearly haven't spent much time climbing hills. And while it's certainly feasible to train without hills, few would argue that training on the flats is more effective than actually training on the hills and grades you intend to race on. Riding up a 6% hill feels significantly different than riding on the flats at the same power. Similarly, I would expect that riding up a 12% hill would feel much different than a 6% hill even at the same power and cadence. It's often easier to do sustained efforts on a hill where there are few stop signs or intersections. Many have trouble finding a location near a city to ride steadily for 40-60 min.
Old 04-18-14, 09:07 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMic
I'm hoping to hit Wachusett Mountain this weekend with my current set up, though I did order a new 11-30 cassette, which will offer a slight improvement over my current 12-26. Wachusett is about 3.8 miles at 9-10%, with a final climb of 15% right before the summit.
Make sure the road is open -- it wasn't yet last weekend (and hunting down the web site still has the 2013 dates -- which had it opening mid-May).
Old 04-18-14, 09:17 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Make sure the road is open -- it wasn't yet last weekend (and hunting down the web site still has the 2013 dates -- which had it opening mid-May).
Last year I did plenty of runs there before the road was "open" officially, along with plenty of other people who were walking and I remember a few cyclists. It's the best time to be there actually, as you don't have to worry about cars. (There's just a gate to get past) As long as it's snow/ice free, I'm not too worried about the gate.
Old 04-18-14, 09:33 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OP,
Something to think about: the article from the winner says he used his 36x32 and 36x36 and spun at 95 rpm, 385 watts, and watts/kg of 5.5. For 1:1 (34x34) to work for you, and be able to spin even at 80 rpm, you are going to have to put out 325 watts for 65 minutes (these are inexact estimates based on 84% of rpm). That is a big number, which is why many are saying train your ass off with whatever you have. To spin up Washington, you may well need a triple and MTB back end. And still need the ability to put out sustained wattage which is higher than most people here's 20 minute power.
Old 04-18-14, 09:41 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
OP,
Something to think about: the article from the winner says he used his 36x32 and 36x36 and spun at 95 rpm, 385 watts, and watts/kg of 5.5. For 1:1 (34x34) to work for you, and be able to spin even at 80 rpm, you are going to have to put out 325 watts for 65 minutes (these are inexact estimates based on 84% of rpm). That is a big number, which is why many are saying train your ass off with whatever you have. To spin up Washington, you may well need a triple and MTB back end. And still need the ability to put out sustained wattage which is higher than most people here's 20 minute power.
Hey, completely agree. I'm not saying if I get a 1:1 I'm just going to cruise up the mountain, I was pointing out the 1:1 for the people who are STILL saying that my 34-26 is "plenty of gear to climb with" and those who are saying it's just a "hill in the northeast" so it can't be a real climb. Furthermore, not once have I said that because I ran at a high level ANY of that will translate to cycling and I don't need to train. Others have assumed I felt that way or put words in my mouth. My only criticism of those who have said "you need to train more" is that they assume that if I were to train my ass off, I could still conquer the "little hill" with a 34-26.
My plan is to train like crazy, I'm brand new to the sport so if I were to try the Mt Washington race this year it would only be for training purposes, there's no chance I'd be able to actually "race" up it. Thank you for the advice and the numbers, it's much appreciated.
Old 04-18-14, 09:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Once you get your cassette, don't try to spin your way all the way up.

Yes, spinning is more efficient than standing. But your legs are not an electric motor and once you burn out your spinning muscles, you'll be slow.

On sustained climbs, it's generally easiest to alternate spinning and standing, spending most of the time seated. When you stand, you'll almost always want to upshift one or two gears. As your spinning muscles recover (won't take long -- even 20 seconds of standing helps a lot), you can sit and repeate the process.
Old 04-18-14, 09:49 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

Yes, spinning is more efficient than standing. But your legs are not an electric motor and once you burn out your spinning muscles, you'll be slow.

On sustained climbs, it's generally easiest to alternate spinning and standing, spending most of the time seated. When you stand, you'll almost always want to upshift one or two gears. As your spinning muscles recover (won't take long -- even 20 seconds of standing helps a lot), you can sit and repeate the process.
Really interesting and something I didn't know, but makes a lot of sense. Thanks very much.
Old 04-18-14, 09:55 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
And I am honestly not trying to give advice on gearing, because it is entirely subjective. I once had to climb several miles of 3-5% grade with an unrelenting 20 mph headwind, and my gearing was 47x16. I spent 45 minutes cranking at less than 30 rpm, and I didn't like it. I know bring an 18t freewheel to hilly rides. But I am a masher, I practice 30 rpm high resistance work, and have no interest in spinning hills. If I asked for gearing advice on the BF, I would have gotten many wonderful suggestions that would have little to do with how I ride.

So just realize most people here are trying to give decent advice, only their perspective of decent is way different.
Old 04-18-14, 12:27 PM
Long Tom

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

This.

First- I'm no expert. Just started cycling a year ago. That said, for some reason (my buddy says masochism; is say he's a wuss who needs to HTFU, haha) I've gravitated to hills... lots of them, the steeper the better. There's plenty to be had around here. I think what I like is the finite, "real" aspect of a hill; as opposed to some manufactured interval or whatever, it's a tangible obstacle, with a beginning and an end. I also like.... well lets just be honest here, I'm among other addicts, lol... I LOVE the aerobic rush. Get off on it.

Anyway, bona fide's aside, in my opinion you definitely want to learn to alternate sitting and spinning (if possible*) with standing. Standing up feels soooo good sometimes; it completely changes the dynamic of what's going on, different muscles and uses the others differently as well. And allows for a nice stretch. I would hate climbing if all I could do was sit 'n spin. There's some technique involved. Standing cadence will be 2-3 gears away from sitting cadence. On steep stuff, you'll be going slow, and since you are clipped in (right?) making those shifts at low speed and under power means you have to do it right, and have a good functional drivetrain, because if you drop a chain you'll need to unclip FAST or you will find yourself doing the slo-mo "timber!" that results in this:

As to spinning, as the steepness gets up past 12% or so, even a road bike with appropriate gearing becomes a bit of a masher, unless you've got the power to keep a fast speed going. My bike has the 11-speed 6800 Ultegra, with the large cassette, which I'd have to go look up exactly what it is, but it's the same gear-inches as my triple. It's quite low. Even still I am mashing more than spinning while sitting when it gets really steep. To truly spin up steep grades you either need massive sustained power OR you'll need lower gearing than you'll get with any normal road bike setup.

However-- you'll see a huge improvement by upgrading your gearing as you are planning. You can then decide if that is "enough".

My climbs around here max out at about 1.5 miles long. I mean there's certainly longer, but in my regular routes, that's what I get. This last Xmas I did the Tramway Road climb out of Palm Springs, rated as the 2nd hardest climb in SoCal; perhaps it's comparable to your Mt. Washington climb? At any rate, it was brutal. The rental bike I was on had a compact, but didnt go as low as either my triple-equipped bike or my Roubaix. I was really missing that next lower gear. It makes a tremendous difference.

For grins, because I like the pic, here's me and my younger brother at the top of Tramway. HIS rental bike had gearing more like what you have. He had to walk the last 1/2 mile or so.

Last edited by CbadRider; 04-21-14 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed gratuitous photo
Old 04-18-14, 12:41 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
he won't have to worry about dropping a chain on Washington... it'll be small ring from the get go and then just playing with cogs. differences in sitting to standing could be any number of gears apart depending on the terrain. that is kinda where more experience and technique would help.
Old 04-18-14, 12:53 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Long Tom
bla bla bla (good advice) bla bla BEST PICTURE EVER.
Thank you, sir.
Old 04-18-14, 06:38 PM
blarnie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
Where do you come up with this nonsense? .
Let me put it more simply for you. New cyclist should not ride up hills so much as ride on flats. Perhaps you don't understand when you don't have the base already, putting an obstacle, like a grade of any note, limits the amount of power you can develop auto****ingmatically.

It's called dynamic range. Without creating a greater range first, you will always be limited by not having it.

As far as my hill climbing ability, I don't consider a single digit grade a hill.
Old 04-18-14, 08:56 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
So just realize most people here are trying to give decent advice, only their perspective of decent is way different.
Is that where the two cents comes in?
Old 04-19-14, 07:18 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by blarnie
It's called dynamic range. Without creating a greater range first, you will always be limited by not having it.
You are channeling my 1st coach's dicta, he'd put us on a ~70GI fixed gear road bike and tell us to get 500 miles in before Step #2 . This did not involve any terrain w/ the word "mountain" in it but it did develop a supple, powerful high cadence pedaling style that was fundamental to development in any cycling discipline.

Now back to your regularly scheduled brutal mountain climbing.......

-Bandera
Old 04-21-14, 07:29 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
The recommendation for Mt. Washington is a 1 -1 ratio and from my experience that is a very useful guideline, especially if once you get above treeline the wind is howling in your face as you go up a very steep pitch. You can do the research on whether a front triple + new derailleur vs. larger cassette + new derailleur is more expensive. I was able to use the crankset from my MTB, which gave me a 26 -26. I picked up a lower end Campy triple FD from Lick for $ 30.00. It does not sound like you are riding Mt. Washington this year, but Ascutney is open to riders any time and a good stand in.
Old 04-21-14, 07:35 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Silly question: Wouldn't the OP be able to set a bike on a trainer and turn the resistance up, do long spinning sessions and build up his hill climbing in the comfort of his own home?
Old 04-21-14, 08:35 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Silly question: Wouldn't the OP be able to set a bike on a trainer and turn the resistance up, do long spinning sessions and build up his hill climbing in the comfort of his own home?
For a serious mountain climb time trial effort effective training will not contain the word "comfort".
High specificity in training requires doing the hard stuff, tough climbs require tough climbing.
Getting to intimately know the course by riding it will pay big dividends in kit selection and mental preparation on race day.

Getting a good base in ,doing high cadence work and all of the traditional work club cyclists put in is necessary but nothing substitutes for doing the climbs.

-Bandera
Old 04-21-14, 08:43 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
For a serious mountain climb time trial effort effective training will not contain the word "comfort".
High specificity in training requires doing the hard stuff, tough climbs require tough climbing.
Getting to intimately know the course by riding it will pay big dividends in kit selection and mental preparation on race day.

Getting a good base in ,doing high cadence work and all of the traditional work club cyclists put in is necessary but nothing substitutes for doing the climbs.

-Bandera
All true, I just brought it up since I noticed my trainer regiments have made me a much stronger climber than I was before. Although I like the aspirations of the OP's intended climbs which for exceed my own.
Old 04-21-14, 10:50 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Without reading the entire thread, I just want to mention the road up Mt.Washington is open to bicyclist one day, or possible two days, out of the whole year.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 04-21-14 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-23-14, 05:39 AM
ThisIsNotMic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Without reading the entire thread, I just want to mention the road up Mt.Washington is open to bicyclist one day, or possible two days, out of the whole year.
It's open 3 days. One day for each race, but also if you're a registered entrant in one of those races (I think it's Newton's) they have a course preview day where you are allowed to ride up.
Old 05-02-14, 05:15 AM
Lee Eckhart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have any of you done the Mount Washington Auto Road Hillclimb? I did it last year with a 12/36 and 48/34 and have to say, it was tough. I saw most of the middle of the road riders with crank chain rings in the 28, 26 and even 24 with 11/34 and 12/36. I'm planning my second run at it with the 12/36 but this time room to gain higher RPM's with a 40/28 or 38/26 crank. I'm also looking into changing the crank arm length to fit my inseam. Not sure what the best combination is yet. But no matter what I end up with, Washington is still going to be a challenge - but it is great to know you can do it!
Old 04-29-19, 11:50 PM
Lee Eckhart

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
11-36 Cassette for Climbing

Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMic
Man oh man! Listen, there's a huge stigma about cyclists kind of being dicks, and zymphad you just are helping the case. I'm not fat and I'm in good shape, I'm just not in "cycling shape". My knee has plica syndrome, it doesn't seem to be effected by cycling, though I've only been at it 2 weeks and have only done 100 miles each week. The gearing has been fine for all but the steepest hills, but that's what I"m looking at going after. The 12% for 4-7 miles type stuff that we have in the Northeast, like Ascutney Mountain and Mount Washington. I can climb 12-15% for about a mile right now, but I'm watching others do it with 28-28 and they're not suffering as much as I am. (again, I'm not dumb, I know climbing hills makes climbing hills easier, practice, train, etc. I don't think I can hop on a bike and pedal up a mountain and it's going to be easy, I just thought a change in gearing might help while I build up)
I’d recommend a new RD and 11-36 cassette. That will get u up Ascutney, Bear Notch, the Kanc and with a bit more effort, Mt Washington. For climbing at now age 69, I use a 48/26 chainring crank and 11-36 cassette. Mt. Washington 3 times and Pikes Peak once. Gets the job done. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-19, 12:30 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Two posts and they're in this thread, 5 years apart.
Likes For luevelvet:
Old 04-30-19, 01:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by therhodeo
Sponsored runner. I doubt he's very fat. Also has injured knees. He doesn't need to be out doing hill repeats. Once again you prove to be just a fountain of awesome information.
Not sure why someone with injured knees would feel the need to climb hills comparable to a mountain.
Gearing is not his issue.
* my bad, just noticed this thread is ancient.
Old 05-01-19, 11:20 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not sure why someone with injured knees would feel the need to climb hills comparable to a mountain.
Gearing is not his issue.
* my bad, just noticed this thread is ancient.
If you read the whole thread (yes, I went down that rabbit hole) you'll see that the knee issues weren't affecting his cycling. At any rate, I don't care, the guy had a simple question which I'm sure he has moved on from by now. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.