Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New SUV Rack Day

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-19, 10:03 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
New SUV Rack Day

I'm so happy with the new rack it deserves a thread. Hollywood Rack purchased through etrailer. Assembly was less than 30 minute. Piece of cake. The rack is well built and attaches to the vehicle in a very secure way. The rack has zero play it in any where. It is solid. The rack locks onto the vehicle and the bikes lock onto the rack. Folds up to be very compact. Just a really nice quality rack. I love traveling with the bike. It opens up the world to your starting point and that is priceless to me.

Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-09-19, 10:22 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Just a really nice quality rack..
A different perspective:

"Really nice quality racks" secure the bike via the wheels, not the frame.
Likes For sputniky:
Old 05-09-19, 02:54 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I've had that same Hollywood Racks model with the extension for 4 years. Definitely one of the best bike-related investments I've ever made along with clipless pedals and cleats. Going from a traditional-style hanging rack to a platform rack is a major upgrade, IMO.
Old 05-09-19, 03:09 PM
BikerGuy92

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking about investing in a bike rack as well. My bike fits in the back of my CR-V, but it's not optimal by any means.
Old 05-09-19, 03:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
@BikerGuy92 Kuat and One-up won't mar your finish.
Old 05-09-19, 04:34 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

That's sort of like saying Carbon bikes are weak. My bikes in the Hollywood rack are going no where other than where I go. That center post that comes down snuggly against the top tube secures everything. And it locks. Metro Buses in many cities carry bikes with the same system. I love the rack and the rack loves me. That's all that matters, right.?? Right. Post up a better rack and someone will poop on it.....
Old 05-09-19, 06:46 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
A different perspective:

"Really nice quality racks" secure the bike via the wheels, not the frame.
Which don't work at all if you have fenders. Horses for courses.
Old 05-09-19, 06:54 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
That's sort of like saying Carbon bikes are weak.
Congrats! That's a really horrible analogy.

There are plenty of high quality platform racks available Thule, Kuat, One up, etc.that don't suffer from the shortcomings of the Hollywood.
Old 05-09-19, 06:55 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by speedevil
Which don't work at all if you have fenders. Horses for courses.
Not true. I've put my daughter's fendered cruiser bike on a Kuat platform rack.
Old 05-09-19, 07:01 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Not true. I've put my daughter's fendered cruiser bike on a Kuat platform rack.
Dude, you've got the best of everything. How do I know.?? I just feel it.
Old 05-09-19, 07:11 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Dude, you've got the best of everything. How do I know.?? I just feel it.
I never claimed that nor do I believe that.

That nonsense is just you being defensive. About a mediocre bike rack that you bought. Wow.
Old 05-09-19, 07:33 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
BirdsBikesBinocs, congratulations on a rack that you like and works to fit your needs.

And yes, there were always be "that guy" on the internet forums. It just comes with the territory. My ignore list grows daily on this site.

I also agree once you have a rack, it certainly opens up the possibility of where you can bring your bike. Enjoy your new purchase!
Old 05-09-19, 08:14 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
It may be an acceptable trade-off for you but a bike rack that touches the frame will, given enough miles, cause abrasion signs on the frame's paint / clear-coat / whatever.

When it is fender season, my bikes don't go on racks, or I remove the fenders, or I use QR fork racks.

That rack looks pretty convenient, but for people who don't want the rack coming in contact with painted surfaces or carbon tubes it isn't going to work. Congrats on finding something you like for your purposes, though. Everyone has different needs. For my popup trailer I have four of the cheapest fork-mount racks I could find. There's nothing nice about them except that they just work, and don't touch the paint job. For car-top I have a FrontLoader. I do have a hitch-mount rack that the bikes hang on by their top tubes. I never use it for my bikes. It's great for the kids' bikes that they outgrow every couple of years anyway.
Old 05-09-19, 10:26 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by daoswald
It may be an acceptable trade-off for you but a bike rack that touches the frame will, given enough miles, cause abrasion signs on the frame's paint / clear-coat / whatever.

When it is fender season, my bikes don't go on racks, or I remove the fenders, or I use QR fork racks.

That rack looks pretty convenient, but for people who don't want the rack coming in contact with painted surfaces or carbon tubes it isn't going to work. Congrats on finding something you like for your purposes, though. Everyone has different needs. For my popup trailer I have four of the cheapest fork-mount racks I could find. There's nothing nice about them except that they just work, and don't touch the paint job. For car-top I have a FrontLoader. I do have a hitch-mount rack that the bikes hang on by their top tubes. I never use it for my bikes. It's great for the kids' bikes that they outgrow every couple of years anyway.
I'm not concerned. Not at all. Fantastic bike rack. Nay sayers can go pound sand. There is less than a quarter of an inch of rack "material" touching the frame of the bikes. Oh my, what a mistake I have made. Oh God, what do I do now.?? I just shake my head.... Some people have all the fun and I never do. Oh God, my Specialized is going to be nuked by that stupid bike rack I bought.

I pay very little attention to blemishes. Scratches. Dents. Heck, I even drape a leather strap over my acoustic guitar. It's made of wood. Oh God, my guitar is getting nuked by a leather strap. Oh God..... Heaven Help The Fool....
Old 05-10-19, 05:58 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Oh God, my Specialized is going to be nuked by that stupid bike rack I bought.
That's weird, your photo only shows a beater Schwinn "mountain bike."

Regardless, maybe you've learned why many riders don't consider your new pride and joy (that Hollywood thing) to be a "really nice quality rack." Probably not though.
Old 05-10-19, 08:23 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Just be sure there is no dirt, or cables on the top tube, it will scratch through the paint in no time. Ask how I know.
But otherwise it's a good rack for the money.
Old 05-10-19, 08:29 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
That's sort of like saying Carbon bikes are weak. My bikes in the Hollywood rack are going no where other than where I go. That center post that comes down snuggly against the top tube secures everything. And it locks. Metro Buses in many cities carry bikes with the same system. I love the rack and the rack loves me. That's all that matters, right.?? Right. Post up a better rack and someone will poop on it.....
You made an excellent choice with Hollywood Racks. The only advantage of 1up and Kuat is the weight. Hollywood Racks are heavy... but it don't bother me. I couldn't justify the extra $500 for the 1up or Kuat.

And the padding on the masts will not harm a carbon fiber tube. I know, because I've taken my '17 Domane on several 500+ mile round trips with the HR rack and it still looks brand new.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 05-10-19 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 08:45 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

That's weird, your photo only shows a beater Schwinn "mountain bike."

Regardless, maybe you've learned why many riders don't consider your new pride and joy (that Hollywood thing) to be a "really nice quality rack." Probably not though.
Wrong. The only shortcoming of the rack is that it touches the frame. So what. You've been mouthing off from the beginning of the thread only saying it has shortcomings.

2 questions.... What exactly are these shortcomings.?? And 2, post a link to 3 racks that are the best and show the price. I mean, after all, we are obligated here to help out fellow cyclists. I'd hate to have someone make the same mistakes I've made. Man, my Specialized frame is going to rot away and become unsafe to ride. Answer the questions. We need to know the answers. Photo's are welcomed of these bikes that have made it to the junk pile. No pictures.??.... It didn't happen. Back up your claims buddy.

And now you're crapping on my Schwinn. Incredible where that bike takes me. Fantastic bike that I would recommend to anyone. Well, most anyone. It doesn't cost enough money for you to be satisfied. But rest assured, you're not the only one that has that type of mind-set.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-bike-day.html

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 05-10-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-10-19, 09:10 AM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
What exactly are these shortcomings.??
Doesn't secure the bike via the wheels (do you struggle with reading comprehension? I noted this in my very first post here), craptastic lock cyclinder, non expandable.

And 2, post a link to 3 racks that are the best and show the price.
By definition, there is only one best rack. Racks that I am familiar with that are better than your precious Hollywood would be platform racks from Kuat, OneUp, Thule, or Yakima. If you're interested in their prices, you should be able to find someone that can help you find them.

And now you're crapping on my Schwinn. Incredible where that bike takes me. Fantastic bike that I would recommend to anyone. Well, most anyone. It doesn't cost enough money for you to be satisfied.
Nah, I wouldn't be satisfied with your beater Schwinn because it wouldn't be as fun as my bikes. And it's too small. And it's got a rack. And it's got a friggin kickstand (hilarious).
Old 05-10-19, 09:22 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
@BikerGuy92 Kuat and One-up won't mar your finish.
Kuat will certainly mar your wallet! With care, few racks will mar your finish. Problem is, some racks require more care than others. Thule, Yakima, Kuat have some nice products but after using them and many other brands over the years, my experience is that attention to detail in employing makes the difference in how each brand and model of rack treats your bike. Actually, it's not how the rack treats your bike, it's how you treat your bike.

These days, due to the type of bikes I transport most often (recumbents and tandems) I prefer Saris and Draftmaster racks. For bikes on a trunk / hatch, I believe the Saris Bones to be one of the best and most versatile. For hitch mount, we use the Saris Freedom with the longer tandem / recumbent bar. We also use the Draftmaster 3 bike rack. Hollywood makes some decent functional racks at reasonable prices but since the early 2000s, they moved production from USA to Taiwan (ok) and China (not so ok). While others may not care and, given how our economy acts, most do not care where their purchases are manufactured, I do believe it makes a difference to buy products made in USA or from countries that treat their workers somewhat fairly.
Old 05-10-19, 09:52 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by leob1
Just be sure there is no dirt, or cables on the top tube, it will scratch through the paint in no time. Ask how I know.
But otherwise it's a good rack for the money.
What is the need for cables.?? The rack is no where near needing cables. The bikes are locked onto the rack and the rack is locked to the vehicle. Stock out of the box.
Old 05-10-19, 10:47 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Some people will steal your joy if you let them. If you like the rack and it works for you then use it.

I have a similar rack, though i cant lock it. I have always used a bandana wrapped around the top tube so that the arm doesn't "marr" my bike finish. (It worked even with a cyclocross bike with cables on top).
I liked it because I have one bike with fenders and I had a limited budget. would i upgrade sure but for my budget right now it works and it helps me ride more places.

Enjoy it and go exploring!
Old 05-10-19, 10:49 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
If you're concerned about the frame clamp marring the finish, get a 4" square of 3M paint film and put it on the top tube where the clamp touches it. When/if that looks bad, it's done it's job. Just peel it off and put another one in it's place. Easy enough and with this type of rack fenders are not a problem at all.
Old 05-10-19, 11:04 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
What is the need for cables.?? The rack is no where near needing cables. The bikes are locked onto the rack and the rack is locked to the vehicle. Stock out of the box.
Some bikes have the brake and shifter cables routed on the top of the top tube. The hook that goes over the top of the top tube will cause the cables to rub, and scratch the paint and\or the metal of the frame. That is why I no longer use this type of rack.

BTW, no matter what you post, someone will find fault with it. Ignore the children.
Old 05-10-19, 11:53 AM
ChuteTheMall
Fred

Bikes: '08 Trek FX3, '89 Novara Pondorosa, '96 Trek 2200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like seeing pictures of a nice rack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.