Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packable Pants for Camp/Sleeping in the Cold?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Packable Pants for Camp/Sleeping in the Cold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 05:40 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I pretty much stopped wearing jeans about 15 years ago. I still have one pair in the closet and wear it maybe once a year but the proliferation of more comfortable fabrics combined with much lighter weight is what made me abandon denim. :-)
Old 05-16-19, 10:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Long johns with thin running shorts might work.
I have seen it done. But most long underwear would not be very warm when worn in a windy campsite without some form of wind block. If you had rain pants along, there is your wind block.
Old 05-16-19, 10:49 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I pretty much stopped wearing jeans about 15 years ago. I still have one pair in the closet and wear it maybe once a year but the proliferation of more comfortable fabrics combined with much lighter weight is what made me abandon denim. :-)
I pretty much quit wearing jeans too, once I started touring. The biggest reason is chafing, they just rub ya the wrong way, after enough miles. Plus like you said, they're heavy, and they also take forever to dry, if you get rained on good. 🙄
Which sounds kinda weird, when we were programmed to love our blue jeans, growing up. 😉 But even so, I still love that old ZZ Top song. "If I ever get back my old blue jeans, Lord how happy could one man be?". 😁😎😁
Old 05-16-19, 12:09 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I pretty much quit wearing jeans too, once I started touring. The biggest reason is chafing, they just rub ya the wrong way, after enough miles. Plus like you said, they're heavy, and they also take forever to dry, if you get rained on good. 🙄
Which sounds kinda weird, when we were programmed to love our blue jeans, growing up. 😉 But even so, I still love that old ZZ Top song. "If I ever get back my old blue jeans, Lord how happy could one man be?". 😁😎😁
Around home, I am usually wearing jeans except in summer I often wear shorts instead. It is just camping or traveling when I forgo the jeans.
Old 05-16-19, 12:14 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
You may also consider a silk liner for your sleeping bag. They pack very small, and add a good deal of warmth to your bag.
Old 05-17-19, 02:52 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Anyone know about the Arc'teryx Atom LT pants?

https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/atom-lt-pant

How packable are they?

I'm trying to remember if I saw a pair on the clearance rack at my local REI store. I think there was - the zippered leg was quite memorable but I didn't look closely at them. I have a 20% off coupon too.

-Tim-
Old 05-18-19, 05:50 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

How packable are they?

I'm trying to remember if I saw a pair on the clearance rack at my local REI store. I think there was - the zippered leg was quite memorable but I didn't look closely at them. I have a 20% off coupon too.

-Tim-
Your 20% off is for a full price item.
Old 05-19-19, 06:53 AM
MrJames67 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
https://www.smartwool.com/shop/mens-...w0np605#hero=0

Under 8 0unces, not too expensive, these should not disappoint under almost any conditions. And they last a long time. I've been very happy with Smartwool garments. And they don't stink like polyester often does, and they hold up through many washings.
Old 05-19-19, 07:32 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts

How packable are they?

-Tim-
looking again at the photos of the model wearing them, they look a bit bulky and loose.

The Sporthill xc pants that both Doug and I have used for ages fit much more like a tight, and the stretchyness aspect of the fabric means that for riding, they are actually very comfortable, and I have ridden in mine for probably thousands of hours, and they have never bothered me for bunching up or whatever, and the slim lower leg part is a plus for cycling with keeping out of chains chainrings etc.
I guess because I commute so much and hope to keep cycling in my activities for a long time, to me its important to have something that I can bike in at cooler temps, with the bonus of using it for other outdoor activities.
The slim fit however is clearly a plus for cycling.
Old 05-20-19, 06:44 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Big fan of Prana pants. Brion, Zion and a few others that they make. Some stretch, light weight and dries fast.
Old 05-20-19, 09:25 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
For sleeping or cold weather riding, I'm a fan of the wool baselayer. For a cold weather start/finish to the day, I often take my Kuhl Convertible pants. https://www.rei.com/product/111534/k...ble-pants-mens

I probably wouldn't sleep in them, or at least I wouldn't count on a big insulation boost from them, but as a windbreak and a slightly less casual clothing option, I like them. And it's nice to be able to go from pants to shorts when the day warm up without having to find somewhere discrete to change.
Old 05-21-19, 04:58 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Pretend summer isn't coming. I'm hoping to get some end of season bargains...

Maybe someone can recommend pants for camp and under the quilt in cold-ish conditions – say down into the 30’s in the pre-dawn hours. Pants will be packed and carried while on the bike during the day so they need to be packable.

I’m not interested in tights and want something with a bit more relaxed fit after riding in bibs and warmers all day. I'm also not interested in garbage bags, DIY or changing the way I ride. Just looking for packable, warm pants I can buy, that's all.

I have micro-fleece pants from Taiga but they are bulky and don't pack down well.

Patagonia R1 pants are made from Polartec Powergrid and should be plenty warm for under the quilt. Anyone know how packable these are?

What else is out there?

-Tim-
For those conditions for sleeping, running shorts with a 4" inseam are all I wear. As it gets colder I might add tights (yeah I know you said no tights).
Around camp I have used a variety of things on different trips. If it isn't too cool I use the running shorts, but as it gets cooler I add something longer. Sometimes wind pants. Sometimes some real lightweight cheap nylon zipoffs that have a cotton like feel. Mine are worldwide sportsman, but I have not seen the exact model in years.

When going real light I have foregone the zipoffs and only taken the wind pants. They are 4 ounces and double as rain pants (I treated them with spray on DWR. If I expect a lot or really rainy conditions I might take real coated nylon rain pants (I have some pretty lightweight ones).

I supplement any of those choices with tights if it is going to be cold. I take different tights depending on how cold I expect it to be. None of my tights have a pad they all slip over riding shorts or lend themselves well to wear with non riding clothes.
Old 05-24-19, 11:36 AM
fantom1 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older version similar to these: https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...01216&gen_cd=1

They make freezing mornings around camp much more enjoyable. They pack down to about the size of a can of coke.
Old 05-24-19, 11:51 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I'd look at nylon or nylon like baggy pants. I'm guessing a military surplus or outdoor surplus store might have them. They should pack very small. Then wear under them heavy thermal underwear. I have 30 year old.expedition weight thermals form Patagonia. I often sleep in them with the next day's shorts, etc, under (and use a lighter sleeping bag to compensate). In the morning, pull those pants on. Then it is a quick shed and I'm ready to ride and I haven't exposed my bare legs to cold

My theory of good bike packing - at the coldest point of your trip you should be wearing everything except dirty inner layers and be warm enough.

Ben
Old 06-04-19, 02:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
FYI...

SportHill XC Pants Mens - $104.93
https://www.rei.com/product/130268/s...-xc-pants-mens