Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Internal cabling makes me suicidal

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-29-19, 11:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

My wife has a Sirrus Carbon Comp. We are trying different bars to make her more comfortable, and the latest attempt involves some Jones bars that required me to put on some longer shifter cables and housing. The shift cables run inside the frame.

So in blissful ignorance I yanked the old cables out, and when trying to thread the new ones in, realized the tactical error I had made.

I watched a GCN video suggesting things like magnets and sucking the cable through with a vacuum cleaner.

I thought if I took the crank and BB off, I could fish it out through the bottom-bracket shell, but it is sealed with a threaded insert, so that ain't gonna work either.

I'm about to go humiliate myself at the LBS, but wondered if anyone has some advice when I have one more crack at this in the morning.
Old 06-30-19, 12:18 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
use an old brake or shift wire to fish through frame, patience is key

Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 06-30-19, 01:06 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
A length of copper wire with enough stiffness to probe the exit hole from the inside. Once you got that through, slide in the liner guide you should've put in before you took the cable out.

Then... never do that again.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-30-19, 01:25 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Using a new cable (you need the weld on the end), put like a 20 degree bend a couple of inches from the end. Poke it in, and when you hit a snag, twirl it. When you reach the exit hole, it's gonna take a lot of patience unless you're lucky.

One thing you really should do is buy some sleeve from eBay beforehand; you just thread it through the frame over the cable before you remove it. Sometimes though, there'll be a snag or two inside you have to get past, which can occasionally be a deal breaker, forcing one into your current situation.

If you have just a short bit of sleeve, like what you can pull from a V-brake noodle, you can poke it in the exit hole to catch the end of the cable.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 06-30-19, 01:57 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Try guiding the cable using a strong magnet, aided by careful bike positioning.

Also it may be easier to insert a cable from the back of the bike, remove the fork and headset, and tape it to the cable from the shifter.

Something like the park internal routing kit is useful.

Internal routing can be a real pain, but hey keeps me in a job. A tip — if you struggle for more than five minutes walk away and try again later—seems to always help

Last edited by cpach; 06-30-19 at 02:02 AM.
Likes For cpach:
Old 06-30-19, 08:43 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
if magnet is a hassle...

Originally Posted by wgscott
My wife has a Sirrus Carbon Comp. We are trying different bars to make her more comfortable, and the latest attempt involves some Jones bars that required me to put on some longer shifter cables and housing. The shift cables run inside the frame.

So in blissful ignorance I yanked the old cables out, and when trying to thread the new ones in, realized the tactical error I had made.

I watched a GCN video suggesting things like magnets and sucking the cable through with a vacuum cleaner.

I thought if I took the crank and BB off, I could fish it out through the bottom-bracket shell, but it is sealed with a threaded insert, so that ain't gonna work either.

I'm about to go humiliate myself at the LBS, but wondered if anyone has some advice when I have one more crack at this in the morning.
I'm not saying anything against magnet method. Works on my aero DT shifting funny bike (straight internal cable run).

***** This got me around the sealed BB insert sleeve in my Kestrel 400, a bike truly infamous for this problem. (Solution is faster than it may appear.)

1) I interwove the end of 50 cm unwaxed floss with the end of the new cable (think of splicing a rope- Google for image if in doubt) and twisted the cable back tight.
2) Fed the floss into the internal cable port, pushing it with the cable end.
3) Pushed the cable as far as I could (where it bumped against the bb insert).
4) Used shopvac at the exit port to suck floss out, took 2 seconds.
5)Used floss to pull cable through.
Result: Macguyver Rules!

I love internal cabling, now that I know how to deal with it. It looks so F*ing Cool! It is that cool.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 06-30-19, 08:51 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Life is too short to fight internal cable routing. Let the pros earn their keep.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 06-30-19, 09:30 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Life is too short to fight internal cable routing. Let the pros earn their keep.
AMEN....I have many bikes but only made the mistake of buying one with internal routing. When that needs any cable/routing work done it goes right to the shop, I don't even mess with it. The rest I do myself. Just not worth the frustration to me.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 06-30-19, 10:16 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by cpach
Try guiding the cable using a strong magnet, aided by careful bike positioning.

Also it may be easier to insert a cable from the back of the bike, remove the fork and headset, and tape it to the cable from the shifter.

Something like the park internal routing kit is useful.

Internal routing can be a real pain, but hey keeps me in a job. A tip — if you struggle for more than five minutes walk away and try again later—seems to always help
Can I bring it to you after I fail at it some more today? (You will have to remind me which place you work.)

I have the sleeves from the original install, and some mint-flavored, waxed dental floss, a shop vac and a rare-earth magnet of biblical proportion, so what better way to squander one of the nicest days yet (at least in Bonny Doon)?
Old 06-30-19, 10:20 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Can I bring it to you after I fail at it some more today? (You will have to remind me which place you work.)

I have the sleeves from the original install, and some mint-flavored, waxed dental floss, a shop vac and a rare-earth magnet of biblical proportion, so what better way to squander one of the nicest days yet (at least in Bonny Doon)?
Last time I needed a cable/housing job on my Seven with its 3T Aeronova...I think the tab was $40. Well worth not sweating and swearing.
Old 06-30-19, 10:32 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

I just got the front to work! No tricks, the tube just came out the other end. (I got to do it twice, since it slipped away the first time.)
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-30-19, 10:33 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Last time I needed a cable/housing job on my Seven with its 3T Aeronova...I think the tab was $40. Well worth not sweating and swearing.
It is hubris, rather than cheapness, that is (one of many) of my fatal flaws.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-30-19, 11:33 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
...on all my internally rouited cable frames, it's pretty easy to get the cable to go in the entry hole, and if it's pointed in the right direction, it eventually runs on past the exit hole. You can see it there, giving you a smug look and saying, "go on, try and make me hit the exit hole".

At that point, I reach in with a cleverly designed, homemade device manufactured from very thin gauge single strand steel wire, something on the order of those needle threaders that people use for threading sewing machine needles, back out the cable until the end is back past my device, and run it forward again a short distance. Here's a picture of a needle threader and my best wishes in your endeavor. You usually need a bigger wire loop than a standard needle threader...but if your frame tube diameter is small enough, sometimes even that will work.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 06-30-19, 11:35 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...on all my internally rouited cable frames, it's pretty easy to get the cable to go in the entry hole, and if it's pointed in the right direction, it eventually runs on past the exit hole. You can see it there, giving you a smug look and saying, "go on, try and make me hit the exit hole".

At that point, I reach in with a cleverly designed, homemade device manufactured from very thin gauge single strand steel wire, something on the order of those needle threaders that people use for threading sewing machine needles, back out the cable until the end is back past my device, and run it forward again a short distance. Here's a picture of a needle threader and my best wishes in your endeavor. You usually need a bigger wire loop than a standard needle threader...but if your frame tube diameter is small enough, sometimes even that will work.

That looks like the thing that came in my boot camp sewing kit.
USN1979RTCOrlando
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 06-30-19, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
For those who never sewed..

It is a sewing needle threading aid.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-30-19, 12:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

2/3 the way there.
Old 06-30-19, 12:31 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
A fellow I rode with 20 years ago haad an Itailin custom bike with the three cables (two shifters and one brake) going onto the head tube. It looked great. Glad I've never had one!
Old 06-30-19, 12:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

If frame is not steel, but the cable is ferrous enough, a magnet can pull it through..
Old 06-30-19, 01:13 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Got it.

I used the vacuum cleaner trick with some dental floss tied to the ends of the tube for the last one.

As luck would have it, the housing is about 2 or 3 cm too long. Grrr.
Old 06-30-19, 01:30 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
It is a sewing needle threading aid.
From the looks of that, it sure is for a mighty large needle.
Old 06-30-19, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Found web pictures tend to enlarge like that..
Old 06-30-19, 03:28 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Found web pictures tend to enlarge like that..
Indeed. Was poking a bit of fun since I know what size those things really are.
Old 06-30-19, 03:30 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Got it.

I used the vacuum cleaner trick with some dental floss tied to the ends of the tube for the last one.

As luck would have it, the housing is about 2 or 3 cm too long. Grrr.
Congrats on getting the job done. I've learned a lot from this thread.

Is the long cable housing still usable, though?
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 06-30-19, 04:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know why an middle class American with a little bit of discretionary income would work on anything to the point they are suicidal, even if it is just melodramatic metaphor.

Another thread somewhere here starts with "RAGE!" and goes on about internal niples. I'd walk away long before I got to that.

-Tim-
Old 06-30-19, 05:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If the inmates in the Sacramento jail can pass drugs and love notes through the toilets using forks and linen, you can surely deal with a little cable in a tube
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.