Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 130

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Garmin Edge 130

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 11:14 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It’s part no 010-11251-15
Bought it here https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ke-mount?fltr=
Old 11-18-18, 05:05 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Thanks MH,
Do you happen to have the model no. of that one? I am not sure if Garmin makes different mounts for their different size computers? I was wondering if the smaller 130 unit would project out too far from the stem and look funny with maybe a poorly chosen mount or if choosing a Garmin mount for say one of their bigger units?
Do they come in different length brackets from Garmin?

Above is what appears to be a longish mount from the aftermarket which IMO projects the 130 too far in front of the stem IMO . Perhaps you agree and maybe why you chose the Garmin mount more suited for the 130?

Pic is from Rainman's excellent review of the Edge 130:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGe3_MxFXpg

Thanks for any further clarification.
By the way, if you use a headlight frequently, K-Edge sells a dual out front mount for the garmin computer and a headlight. It's expensive but pretty nice.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-19-18, 12:13 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Went to Performance: excluded from their 30% off sale.
Went to REI: excluded from their 20% off one item sale.

Old 11-19-18, 11:53 AM
smjenkins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a 130 to replace my aging 510. Screen is much better than the 510 and the bluetooth pairing functionality with my phone is a big game changer. My only beef with the 130 is the lack of a thermometer. I like to have the temp displayed on my main screen but I couldn't find it in the 130 data field list.
Old 11-19-18, 01:03 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
By the way, if you use a headlight frequently, K-Edge sells a dual out front mount for the garmin computer and a headlight. It's expensive but pretty nice.
Not a headlight guy but have in the past.

Anybody here of any black Friday or cyber Monday sales on the Edge 130?

Thanks
Old 11-19-18, 03:50 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Not a headlight guy but have in the past.

Anybody here of any black Friday or cyber Monday sales on the Edge 130?

Thanks
I know you're not interested in an Edge 520. But the 520 has a $50 rebate that makes it just $30 more than the normal price of an Edge 130. (I can't find the same deal on the 130, but I would swear there were $50 rebates on them this weekend, too.)
Old 11-19-18, 06:55 PM
steinercat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smjenkins
I picked up a 130 to replace my aging 510. Screen is much better than the 510 and the bluetooth pairing functionality with my phone is a big game changer. My only beef with the 130 is the lack of a thermometer. I like to have the temp displayed on my main screen but I couldn't find it in the 130 data field list.
Temp is important to me also. From what I've read, the 130 does have a temp sensor, but temp display is simply not available as an individual data field (yet).

Have you tried using the weather notification via connection to your phone?
Old 11-19-18, 07:38 PM
smjenkins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steinercat
Temp is important to me also. From what I've read, the 130 does have a temp sensor, but temp display is simply not available as an individual data field (yet).

Have you tried using the weather notification via connection to your phone?
Thanks, I didn't realize it had the temp sensor. Seems crazy not to include it as a field consider their other old and new computers do. It's not like it's new code to write.

WRT phone weather notifications, I have not tried that yet. Will have to give it a try.
Old 11-19-18, 08:14 PM
MagicHour

Yeah there are a couple features with the 130 where the device obviously has the hardware capability, but for purposes of keeping the device "low-end" in their product line and/or simplified UX it doesn't allow display or customization. Temperature and 3 Sec power avg (the only display option) are 2 of them; the data is obviously captured because Garmin Connect show ride temperature graphs and 1 second power data.

Originally Posted by smjenkins
Thanks, I didn't realize it had the temp sensor. Seems crazy not to include it as a field consider their other old and new computers do. It's not like it's new code to write.

WRT phone weather notifications, I have not tried that yet. Will have to give it a try.
Old 11-20-18, 06:30 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Why a temp sensor guys? I always thought they were inaccurate anyway...because thermal radiation from the sun biases the temperature reading to read much higher than ambient air temp. I just don't see the usefulness because I can feel how hot it is and further, relative humidity really changes sense and reality of true temperature affecting body performance as well.
Old 11-20-18, 11:27 AM
MagicHour

I mostly agree - although I will say it's nice to have the temp data record for a ride in Strava/GC so I can refer back to it or make a mental note on what I wore that day, eg. It's not perfect, without wind chill, precipitation, and other factors, but still has it's usefulness. And yeah C4L when you first take the bike outdoors or make a pitstop, the sensor will warm up and spike for a bit.

Why a temp sensor guys? I always thought they were inaccurate anyway...because thermal radiation from the sun biases the temperature reading to read much higher than ambient air temp. I just don't see the usefulness because I can feel how hot it is and further, relative humidity really changes sense and reality of true temperature affecting body performance as well.
Old 11-20-18, 01:29 PM
smjenkins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to know what the temp is at various locations during my rides. I'm often riding the same roads and trails for commuting and it's good to know what the temp is reading when I feel cold (being in Seattle, it's pretty rare that it's too hot ). Just more data to help dial in clothing for ride comfort and to set expectations.
Old 07-01-19, 01:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Finally pulled the trigger on an Edge 130. Seems to work ok.

One small improvement (among many) over the 25: The beep it makes when a car appears in the radar is different from the generic notification beep.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 07-01-19 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 04:26 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Riding this weekend up in Malibu, my friends Wahoo read 100f, on a high 70s day
Old 07-01-19, 05:52 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Does any computer report temperature correctly? There's heat in the computer itself, and the sun can beat directly on the 'puter. I' like to get the info, too, but I haven't been able to do so on a bike. The Lezyne series reports temp - +/- 2 degrees Centigrade - not all that helpful, and it is affected by the sun, especially when I stop for coffee....
Old 07-01-19, 06:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Riding this weekend up in Malibu, my friends Wahoo read 100f, on a high 70s day
My Garmin Edge 130 was reading 55°F on my > 80°F ride today. I'm in the same zip code as coastal Santa Cruz, but high up in the hills where it gets much hotter. I think it gets the regional weather info from the internet via phone connection, not by measuring stuff directly. If you live inland or somewhere there isn't a temperature/fog gradient, it probably is more useful. Probably the same with the Wahoo.
Old 07-02-19, 12:44 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Does any computer report temperature correctly? There's heat in the computer itself, and the sun can beat directly on the 'puter. I' like to get the info, too, but I haven't been able to do so on a bike. The Lezyne series reports temp - +/- 2 degrees Centigrade - not all that helpful, and it is affected by the sun, especially when I stop for coffee....
I use a Garmin watch instead of a bike computer. I hike and ski and wanted one ring to rule them all. The thing records temperature, but you can guess what's wrong with this picture...

I wound up buying the Tempe sensor because I'm small and it bothered me to keep seeing this *****ges temperature graph mixed in with the stuff that matters. I have it hidden under the stem, it's away from the sun and my body. At least now the unimportant graph has the right numbers.
Old 07-02-19, 12:52 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
My Garmin Edge 130 was reading 55°F on my > 80°F ride today. I'm in the same zip code as coastal Santa Cruz, but high up in the hills where it gets much hotter. I think it gets the regional weather info from the internet via phone connection, not by measuring stuff directly. If you live inland or somewhere there isn't a temperature/fog gradient, it probably is more useful. Probably the same with the Wahoo.
It would probably be good for Garmin of they all worked the same, and differentiated themselves by screen size and features like phones.

Computers with barometric altimeters have thermometers too. The formula that converts ambient pressure to elevation takes temperature as a parameter. So if you use a watch, it never had the right temperature because it's influenced by your body heat, but that's not why it's there, air temp at the pressure sensor is its job. My old Edge 800 and my watch both have barometers, and they both read out from their own temp sensors.

Sorry for the pedantic detail.