Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 11-27-17, 11:55 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pine Cone

Winter is about to begin here in the northern hemisphere. Perhaps after hell freezes over a test bike might be completed in just 2-3 more weeks.
Post of the year!
Old 11-28-17, 12:20 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Maybe he's counting on people becoming too old to ride and they'll forget they ordered a Helix.
Old 11-28-17, 02:19 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Maybe he's counting on people becoming too old to ride and they'll forget they ordered a Helix.
That's actually more than jest. Some backers' personal situation changed drastically that the bike wasn't needed any more. Who knows perhaps some became gravely ill or died. A fair few have moved to different addresses. In 1000 people you get all sorts of issues over 2 years. And for sure everybody got older, perhaps some to the point where the bike is totally redundant.
Old 11-28-17, 04:03 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Actually, backers didn't order a bike, only people with a pre-order did it.

Like for all Kickstarter projects, Backers gave money to help to create the Helix, they will, maybe, eventually, receive a bike as reward for this help.

Look what happened with the Knog Oil bell project where the bell was first available in shops and backers eventually received a bell only after the actual bell commercialization.
Old 11-29-17, 07:44 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a regular 2 week update

A brief chronology of Helix bicycle test bike schedule estimates…

February 17, 2017
Timeline shows testing is about to start and will be complete by April 1, 2017

March 31, 2017
Timeline shows testing starting in 3rd week in April, finishing in mid-June

May 31, 2017 Helix Update
“Production test bike builds are underway”

July 22, 2017
“…expect to have production level welding completed this week”

August 5, 2017
“I am expecting to send out the test bike in 2-3 weeks”

October 1, 2017
“In parallel, we are completing the test bike and we are confident that it will be sent out in the next 2-3 weeks.“

October 15, 2017
“The test bike is almost ready”

October 29, 2017
“Unfortunately we need a little more time”

November 11, 2017
“Another week has gone by without a completed test bike”. Actually it was two weeks…

November 24, 2017
“…I have full confidence that we will be able to show you the test bike in the next update”

Winter is about to begin here in the northern hemisphere. Perhaps after hell freezes over a test bike might be completed in just 2-3 more weeks.
Thanks for the timeline. I sat there for quite some time, shaking my head at Peter's progress and lack of updating on time throughout the year. I'm sure there's a few pre-order people on this forum who ordered in late January. Well, our 1 year anniversary is coming up. I think it'll be a good time for me personally to jump ship.
Old 12-01-17, 01:19 PM
DaKineDatFolds

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a regular 2 week update
You were right. It wasn't an update before the update. We'll have to wait...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
two weeks.jpg (51.6 KB, 280 views)
Old 12-01-17, 01:59 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
As a non-backer, this is like a train wreck you just can't glance away from! I'm going to be sad when the bike finally gets delivered (assuming it does) because this is priceless drama.
Old 12-01-17, 02:11 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by linberl
As a non-backer, this is like a train wreck you just can't glance away from! I'm going to be sad when the bike finally gets delivered (assuming it does) because this is priceless drama.

True to a point .... but in all reality I will be happy for all the folks who put money down and finally get their bike they have paid for so long ago. I feel bad for them as this pipedream is simply not possible to produce with the components promised, and sell and have some kind of aftermarket service, freight, custom clearing, etc etc etc ...

thor
Old 12-01-17, 02:17 PM
KentS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in May I posted a link to this thread on Facebook with the following comment:

This is a very entertaining story, on par with "Harry Potter" and "The Lord of the Rings." It is about selling and (possibly) delivering a wonderful new bicycle, loaded with comedy and suspense. Right now we are at the cliff hanger...

I foolishly thought the cliff hanger was 7 months ago.
Old 12-01-17, 03:04 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
True to a point .... but in all reality I will be happy for all the folks who put money down and finally get their bike they have paid for so long ago. I feel bad for them as this pipedream is simply not possible to produce with the components promised, and sell and have some kind of aftermarket service, freight, custom clearing, etc etc etc ...

thor
Of course...I'm currently a backer on 3 items that are way past delivery dates, so I can totally sympathize. It is just that this product has created a much more interesting and informative thread, I've learned a lot about bike manufacturing. And - it has been entertaining ;-)
Old 12-01-17, 07:36 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

I'll miss being told how boring I am. I got used to it!
Old 12-01-17, 07:49 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I funded this project. However I would like to get out.

Last year I communicated with Peter, and offered help after I quit my teaching gig in Hawai'i. I understand he thought I was looking for a job...I wasn't.

At this point I don't think he should have taken money in this manner. I was hoping to help fund a new concept. I have no interest in continuing on this path.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.

Last edited by downtube; 12-03-17 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 05:11 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tesla Model 3 and Helix sound quite similar in many respects.
* plays cards close to chest
* stuck in production hell
* hyped for 2 years
* buyers haven't seen the vehicle yet
* production line not working
* burning cash

Others i have missed?

Meant to be humorous not negative...
Old 12-03-17, 07:34 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Differences between Tesla & Helix....
- Helix doesn't get massive US Gov subsidies.
- Unlike Elon Musk, Peter doesn't become Homer Simpson's friend.
- Chinese hackers can't take over the Helix's brakes & other features.
- Peter doesn't plan a tractor trailer version of the Helix.
- Helix doesn't have a space program, & prattle on about Mars.

Last edited by Revoltingest; 12-03-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-03-17, 08:41 PM
tdonline

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Elon has a Tesla car, Peter doesn't have a Helix bike.

Am I doing this right?
Old 12-03-17, 09:13 PM
maxxevv

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdonline
Elon has a Tesla car, Peter doesn't have a Helix bike.

Am I doing this right?
Not quite ... Elon ALREADY had production electric cars on the road, Peter had absolutely NO production bike of any sort on the road at the launch of their own hype trains.
Old 12-03-17, 09:44 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maxxevv
Not quite ... Elon ALREADY had production electric cars on the road, Peter had absolutely NO production bike of any sort on the road at the launch of their own hype trains.
Actually there is ONE pre-production Helix - Peter's. So that's a match.
Old 12-03-17, 10:33 PM
Joe Remi

Is it two weeks yet?
Old 12-03-17, 11:06 PM
maxxevv

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
Actually there is ONE pre-production Helix - Peter's. So that's a match.
"Prototype" ( its not even pre-production as no actual production processes were used in its creation) and serial production vehicless are world's apart in scope and delivery.

Not comparable at all.
Old 12-04-17, 07:33 AM
Jipe

I think that it is not a prototype as a prototype has the characteristics of the final product.

I would call the bike shown in the Kickstarter campaign video a concept demonstration, not even a proof of concept because the bike needed a complete redesign.

The proof od concept step (that demonstrate that the concept works and prototype step (product very close to the final product but for instance hand built) were skipped.

Peter is in fact trying to make in one step both a proof of concept bike and a pre-production bike (= what validates the manufacturing process).

Now the chance for Peter to be first time right in any aspects, i.e. that there will be no need for any modification/improvement nor for the design of the bike, nor for the manufacturing process, so that this bike will really be a pre-production bike seems to me very low
Old 12-04-17, 08:24 AM
maxxevv

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In terms of strict mass production semantics , you are absolutely correct !
Old 12-04-17, 08:38 AM
Jipe

I wrote this also to show clearly in what stage of the development process the project is and what steps have been skipped.

Skipping steps is dangerous because as a rule of thumb, the later a problem is discovered in the development process, the heavier the consequences in term of delay and cost.
Old 12-04-17, 10:19 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are you privy to the backers portal? From what you say I conclude not.

There is a final version bike built, just not by the robot welder. Except for that, it is exactly equal to the production bikes.

The proof of concept is what was shown in the KS video and pic. Go to the Helix.ca site and see for yourself that the pics there of the redesigned, refined version show subtle differences to the KS version.

The last 6 months Helix have struggled to get the welder going and the last news I had was that the welder is finally on line.

That's all based on what I know, not speculation. So if you have that backers access as well I cannot understand how you can justify your statement.
Old 12-04-17, 04:07 PM
Jipe

I do not agree with you what was shown on KS is not a proof of concept because it needed to be heavily modified, it was just a concept demo.

For the next one (and also the KS one), showing pictures is not a proof of concept, the proof of concept requires testing what as far as I know didn't happen yet ?

BTW, the bike to come is called "test bike" which seems also confirm that testing wasn't done yet unless "test bike" means testing the manufacturing process ?
Old 12-04-17, 05:20 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I do not agree with you what was shown on KS is not a proof of concept because it needed to be heavily modified, it was just a concept demo.

For the next one (and also the KS one), showing pictures is not a proof of concept, the proof of concept requires testing what as far as I know didn't happen yet ?

BTW, the bike to come is called "test bike" which seems also confirm that testing wasn't done yet unless "test bike" means testing the manufacturing process ?
The KS bike was more than a concept. It was the culmination of some years of design. It is a fully functional bike and was demonstrated by Peter riding it around. I think it may have not had a rear brake installed but that's it. It was in all respects fully functional and the KS premise was it would be built as-is. But when the KS campaign was successful beyond his wildest dreams, that made other things possible as well as necessary, the most important one being that a serious production facility was needed to fulfill the large volume of orders. He teamed up with a manufacturer in the car industry. The proof of concept was scrutinized by this team for manufacturability. Changes were made with that in mind; that also gave Peter opportunity to scrutinize the hinges and latches. The latches especially were redesigned from scratch; although the original designs worked well enough, Peter cam up with what he thinks are improved designs. The hinges remained substantially the same, as did the rest of the bike. Details were refined such as having replaceable dropouts.

The team-up with the manufacturer did not last as there were differences in conviction as to what is the best way to manufacture - the company wanted castings and glue to be used, but while pursuing this angle, it became clear that the casting process was introducing unwanted constraints and dependencies. That was abandoned and the collaboration dissolved.

Peter went back to welding but found that tube cutting, CNC part manufacturing and welding by subcontractors was far more expensive than he thought it should cost. He then embarked on the long and painful process of procuring everything for a factory from scratch. You might appreciate that this is a HUGE undertaking and he thoroughly underestimated that project.

That seems to be all behind him now. The test bike isn't what you seem to think it is; it isn't a proof of concept, rather it is a bike built using normal production processes, submitted to a 3rd party testing company for testing against various ISO standards for compliance. This is a legally required step by some countries at least as I understand it; most countries only have something like a recommendation or require a self-certification.

A final version of the bike has existed for a long time now, I think perhaps a year. That was obviously welded by a subcontractor so is not suitable for testing. But it is essentially identical to the production bike.

The past 18 months or so has been spent on setting up the factory and if not already finished, is d*mned close.

So far from skipping steps, the opposite is true. The proof of concept which is a fully functional bike except a rear brake was refined, and new patents taken out. Manufacturing processes were explored. The final version which is what I would thoroughly stamp as a pre-production sample, exists. The last 18 months was spent with the single goal in mind of setting up the factory to produce that very same sample with in-house processes to control cost but importantly quality as well.

The only downside of all this history is the huge amount of time it is taking to do all these due diligence steps and Peter's drastic underestimate of doing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.