Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy experts tell me what I just bought please!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Campy experts tell me what I just bought please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-19, 07:15 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Fascinated by the "spacer-behind-the-cassette" solution. New to me in this application. Please let me know how it works. Can you post a catalogue reference or other link? You'll need to re-dish the wheel a bit?
Here's the ebay link to the spacer: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Campagno...rdt=true&rt=nc

(I didn't buy that one, I found another one cheaper.)

I don't think I'll need to re-dish the wheel. The sprockets will just shift 1mm towards the drive side independent of the hub and rim.

And I gather that converting the shifter to friction will not give you the Doppler action in the C-Record that prevents autoshifting, correct? i.e., there's no friction clutch in the mechanism that senses the direction that you're pulling or pushing the lever. The resistance to autoshifting resides in the notches
Yeah that sounds right. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the doppler/retrofriction shifting. In fact I can't even get my head around how it seems to bypass the g-springs just by simply removing the washer.

I'm excited I might get the index shifting working if I can get that D-ring tight enough though!
Old 07-19-19, 10:09 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
This sounds to me like there is not enough tension in the D-ring screw that mounts the shifter onto the frame.
Well I tightened them using a screwdriver for leverage as much as I dared (the D-ring was bending,) but there was no improvement - just jumped straight out of 8 into 7.

I’ll install the spacer when that arrives and see if it makes any difference, but to be honest I’ve been riding around in friction mode and everything is singing, so I won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t work.

Thanks for your help though!