Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Emonda ALR 5 or Emonda S6?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Emonda ALR 5 or Emonda S6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-16, 12:23 PM
dallastx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Emonda ALR 5 or S6?

Hi, This is my first post, so pls. ignore any posting noob errors.

My LBS has a Trek ALR 5 for 1350$ and an S6 for 2000$. This is going to be my first road bike and I'm planning to do occasional weekday rides and during the weekend. I'm not planing to take part in any races and the main purpose of the bike is going to be to get a little more fit. S6 comes with an Ultegra groupset/ 300 OCLV carbon, whereas the ALR is equipped with 105/ 300 series aluminum.

I would not be upgrading any group-sets or customizing it too much. Even though I feel that the ALR best suits what I'm looking for, the S6 seems to be better bang for the buck, is that correct?

I'm hoping to get some exert advice from you guys. Thanks!

Last edited by dallastx; 06-16-16 at 12:27 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-16-16, 12:36 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
The ALR is a great bike and in general, I feel the ALR is a better frame than the S. Nothing wrong with 105 but Ultegra is a bit more refined. And then at 50% more for the S over the ALR.... i'd go with the ALR and bank the saving. If in a few years you decide to get a better bike... you have some money in the bank.
Old 06-16-16, 12:44 PM
BenPS
will stop for donuts

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^agreed. or take that money and spend it on wheels
Old 06-16-16, 12:49 PM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the info. So you think paying 650$ for the Carbon and Ultegra is not worth it for the purpose that I'm looking for??
The Ultegra & Carbon thing really attracts me to the S6, but I read somewhere that ALR aluminum is better than S Carbon.
Old 06-16-16, 12:53 PM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dallastx
Thank you for the info. So you think paying 650$ for the Carbon and Ultegra is not worth it for the purpose that I'm looking for??
The Ultegra & Carbon thing really attracts me to the S6, but I read somewhere that ALR aluminum is better than S Carbon.
Alr is better, it is lighter and rides better.( I have ridden both)
Old 06-16-16, 01:00 PM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. This is what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 06-16-16, 07:54 PM
Pb_Okole
Who is Austin Dunbar?

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Lynskey Sportive, Lynskey GR 270,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, This is my first post, so pls. ignore any posting noob errors.

My LBS has a Trek ALR 5 for 1350$ and an S6 for 2000$. This is going to be my first road bike and I'm planning to do occasional weekday rides and during the weekend. I'm not planing to take part in any races and the main purpose of the bike is going to be to get a little more fit. S6 comes with an Ultegra groupset/ 300 OCLV carbon, whereas the ALR is equipped with 105/ 300 series aluminum.

I would not be upgrading any group-sets or customizing it too much. Even though I feel that the ALR best suits what I'm looking for, the S6 seems to be better bang for the buck, is that correct?

I'm hoping to get some exert advice from you guys. Thanks!
Get the ALR6. You get the ALR frame with the Ultegra components and better wheelset than the ALR5. Win, win.
Old 06-16-16, 08:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Pb_Okole
Get the ALR6. You get the ALR frame with the Ultegra components and better wheelset than the ALR5. Win, win.
Makes sense.
Old 06-16-16, 10:20 PM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
Makes sense.
I'll check it out. I don't think they have any promotions going on for ALR6; But I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 06-17-16, 04:23 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Honestly (this coming from someone who works at a Trek shop) I'd evaluate the time of year. It's the middle of June, 2017s are already coming out or otherwise announced. You've got new Domanes, possible spec changes with Emonda and with it may come price changes.

I definitely agree that the ALR 5 with 105 @ $1350 would be my choice over a $2000 S6. But at the same time, if the ALR gets a spec change or the S6 gets an overhaul in a few weeks... then what? Maybe it'll be a better value, maybe it won't.

Regardless, I think it's important to keep that in the back of your mind. Every year in mid-June I have customers on the fence. Some wait and are rewarded, others wait and hate the new colors and then the old colors are out-of-stock in their size.
Old 06-17-16, 05:59 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

When the 2017s come out they will only be more expensive. I say, grab the same when you can. Are you sure they have your size?

Last year I wanted a Trek DS 8.6 and had to settle for a 8.5 since they couldn't get my size.
Old 06-17-16, 08:27 PM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Groupset being equal, I'd vote for the ALR frame versus the S frame.
Old 06-18-16, 12:04 AM
softreset

When the 2017s come out they will only be more expensive.
How do you figure? The new 2017 Domane lineup just got released, they got a spec bump and a price drop (some at several hundred dollars). Domane ALRs excluded.
Old 06-20-16, 08:54 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
Regardless, I think it's important to keep that in the back of your mind. Every year in mid-June I have customers on the fence. Some wait and are rewarded, others wait and hate the new colors and then the old colors are out-of-stock in their size.
Oooooh how I relate to this. Paralysis by analysis. I can't make a decision
Old 06-22-16, 04:42 PM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
Honestly (this coming from someone who works at a Trek shop) I'd evaluate the time of year. It's the middle of June, 2017s are already coming out or otherwise announced. You've got new Domanes, possible spec changes with Emonda and with it may come price changes.

I definitely agree that the ALR 5 with 105 @ $1350 would be my choice over a $2000 S6. But at the same time, if the ALR gets a spec change or the S6 gets an overhaul in a few weeks... then what? Maybe it'll be a better value, maybe it won't.

When do you think the new Emonda ALRs would start getting out?
Old 06-22-16, 06:15 PM
softreset

When do you think the new Emonda ALRs would start getting out?
Don't know. When they originally launched there was speculation that there was going to be other models that never game out (including one with Dura-Ace Di2). I think they had them going all the way to the ALR 9 or ALR 10. But they only did the three models plus frameset.

Trek's been releasing new 2017 bikes each week now (Domanes & Silques) announced this week, but they were available last week. I think a new Fuel and Remedy as well this week or last.

I suspect the Emonda will be between now and TDF start so I gotta believe it'll be something soon, but it's also possible that it could just be new colors.
Old 06-27-16, 02:54 PM
rimarco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek emonda alr 5

I've had the ALR 5 since September 2015. It rides and handles very well. This was my choice of first road bike after a long decision making process. My budget was under two grand and my LBS got me a deal for $1375! I would suggest at the least to upgrade the seat post to a carbon one. It made a difference in the ride quality. Good luck!
Old 07-08-16, 12:43 PM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rimarco
I've had the ALR 5 since September 2015. It rides and handles very well. This was my choice of first road bike after a long decision making process. My budget was under two grand and my LBS got me a deal for $1375! I would suggest at the least to upgrade the seat post to a carbon one. It made a difference in the ride quality. Good luck!

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 07-10-16, 07:47 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a SL5 for $1999 right now. I only noticed because I got a Trek email and LBS email about specials, the LBS had it on closeout for $2079 yet Trek has it for $1999. I previously had a SL6 and have considered the SL5 at that price after spending a year using the 5800 105 on my CX bike it seems like a good deal.
Old 07-11-16, 07:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

GCN does a head to head Trek Emonda ALR6 vs SL6

Conclusion:
Given the same groupset and kit, the carbon is better.
Given the same cost, the aluminum is better.
Old 07-11-16, 09:36 AM
softreset

Originally Posted by af2nr
You can get a SL5 for $1999 right now. I only noticed because I got a Trek email and LBS email about specials, the LBS had it on closeout for $2079 yet Trek has it for $1999. I previously had a SL6 and have considered the SL5 at that price after spending a year using the 5800 105 on my CX bike it seems like a good deal.
Careful, warehouse inventory on the SL5 is pretty much vaporized on all the 'popular' sizes. Same with the ALR6. The good news, that means new model(s) for TrekWorld.
Old 07-11-16, 06:13 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
GCN does a head to head Trek Emonda ALR6 vs SL6

Conclusion:
Given the same groupset and kit, the carbon is better.
Given the same cost, the aluminum is better.
Neat video, though the OP is looking at the S6 -- not the SL6 in the video. Having ridden an Emonda S, and owning a SL8, I can say there's a pretty significant difference between the S and SL frames, with the SL being noticeably better. So, ALR vs. SL? Go for the SL.

Given that there's hardly any appreciable difference between 105 and Ultegra, I'd totally go with the ALR5 over the S6 in the OP's scenario. Once one gets over their hang ups on frame material, it's easy to realize that ride quality is 95% tire selection & pressure.
Old 07-11-16, 06:46 PM
Steelerfan14

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I really wanted the SL5 but couldn't find one in my size at the lbs that now sells trek. I went to my normal bike shop that lost its trek dealership and he had a few treks left over that he had to get rid of. Got my ALR5 in blue for $1025. Can't complain

Last edited by Steelerfan14; 07-11-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 08:38 AM
dallastx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steelerfan14
I really wanted the SL5 but couldn't find one in my size at the lbs that now sells trek. I went to my normal bike shop that lost its trek dealership and he had a few treks left over that he had to get rid of. Got my ALR5 in blue for $1025. Can't complain
That is a great price for ALR5, my LBS has it for $1350+
Old 07-18-16, 08:42 AM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure what the above poster means by Ultegra being more "refined" -- but I can't tell a difference between 105 and Ultegra except I have a little bit of extra cash in my wallet at the end of the day if I go with 105.

I don't think you can go wrong with either to be completely honest...it will be years before you could even possibly need an upgrade from either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.