Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paketa Tandems

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Paketa Tandems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-17, 10:15 AM
TandemDelMar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paketa Tandems

Has anyone on this forum ever ordered a Tanem from Paketa Cycles? Would greatly appreciate any feedback on these guys.

Thanks !!
Old 03-15-17, 10:35 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
there are a couple of threads on here regarding Paketas that you can look up. there are a couple of Paketa owners that have posted, not sure many of them are too active on this forum lately.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-15-17, 11:17 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
google search site

I don't like the built in forum search feature.

Google search for Paketa within the forum with:

"Paketa" site:bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/
Old 03-15-17, 11:19 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Here's one thread that has a lot of Paketa info: https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...stiffness.html
Old 03-15-17, 02:00 PM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We currently own a Paketa and have been very happy with the bike and have nothing but good things to say about the experiences that we have had with Paketa.

Note this is our third road tandem. First DaVinci, Second Calfee & Third Paketa.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
Old 03-15-17, 03:33 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're a lucky team because the Paketa is at the same level as Calfee and Land Shark. Your choice will depend on all the fine details of a custom build (geometry, paint, disc mount, Di2 routing, etc). In general, the Paketa will be slightly lighter, while a carbon frame can accommodate unusual geometries and is easily repairable.
Old 03-16-17, 05:16 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
there are a couple of threads on here regarding Paketas that you can look up. there are a couple of Paketa owners that have posted, not sure many of them are too active on this forum lately.
I just find it odd that they use a Russian word - Paketa, or Rakyeta in English which means rocket!
Old 03-16-17, 09:48 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesulak
I don't like the built in forum search feature.

Google search for Paketa within the forum with:

"Paketa" site:bikeforums.net/tandem-cycling/
With the forums search I almost always end up using Advanced Search, but yes, the results often are far less specific than what is desired.

Your Google site search suggestion (and possibly others) should be a sticky at the top of the Tandem Cycling topic area.
Old 03-19-17, 08:41 PM
TandemDelMar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone Forum searches resulted in old and dated posts. I was looking for fresh info.

How long would you say is acceptable tp wait when you order a $10K Tandem?
Old 03-19-17, 09:43 PM
twocicle

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Originally Posted by TandemDelMar
Thanks everyone Forum searches resulted in old and dated posts. I was looking for fresh info.

How long would you say is acceptable tp wait when you order a $10K Tandem?
Hard not to get itchy right after the check clears :/ How long has it been?
Old 03-19-17, 09:59 PM
TandemDelMar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
Hard not to get itchy right after the check clears :/ How long has it been?
Over 5 months now I have been waiting
Old 03-20-17, 09:31 AM
TandemDelMar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anybody want a 54/50 tandem? Without having to wait 6 months?
Old 03-20-17, 10:02 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Over 5 months now I have been waiting
What timeframe did Paketa quote you?

Unless they told you it was going to be that long, I would be upset with 5 plus months.

As a comparison, we recently ordered a tandem from Co-Motion, were quoted 6-12 weeks, and based on their production schedule, we're likely going to get the bike around 10 weeks.

IIRC, our Calfee took about 12 weeks.

Obviously, time frames are going to vary from Company to Company, and even season to season, but I wouldn't be happy with 5 months unless forewarned.
Old 03-20-17, 10:26 AM
TandemDelMar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it will be 6 months by the time I get it. Initially wanted it for Christmas, but knew that was a long shot though they said its possible. So I ordered. But now its March 20th and I will probably have a bike by April 20th if I am lucky.
Old 03-20-17, 11:22 AM
waynesulak

Bikes: Custom 650B tandem by Bob Brown, 650B tandem converted from Santana Arriva, Santana Noventa, Boulder Bicycle 700C, Gunnar Sport

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
What timeframe did Paketa quote you?

Unless they told you it was going to be that long, I would be upset with 5 plus months.

As a comparison, we recently ordered a tandem from Co-Motion, were quoted 6-12 weeks, and based on their production schedule, we're likely going to get the bike around 10 weeks.

IIRC, our Calfee took about 12 weeks.

Obviously, time frames are going to vary from Company to Company, and even season to season, but I wouldn't be happy with 5 months unless forewarned.
What was the promised delivery date? To me that is the key issue.
Old 03-20-17, 03:19 PM
DubT

Bikes: Trek Speed Concept 9.9, 2011 Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
It is interesting that you have evidently ordered the bike and it is taking a long time to actually receive the finished product. What do you think might happen if you have to have it repaired?

I find it interesting that when you do a general search for magnesium bicycle frames the results are very slim. It appears that Paketa might be the only one currently building frames out of magnesium. It makes one wonder.

From what I see steel, aluminum and carbon fiber are the materials of choice for the majority of builders.

Just saying.
Old 03-20-17, 07:06 PM
2frmMI

Bikes: Erickson Signature, Paketa D2R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our 2013 Paketa was delivered way behind promised date. In stead of getting it at the beginning of the season, we got it at the end. I don't quite know how angry to be about that. They are a very small volume builder, way smaller than Co-M or Calfee. Maybe it is part of the charm. In the end, the bike is phenomenal, climbs like a goat.
Old 03-20-17, 10:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I appreciate that it is frustrating to wait for a bike. However, I'm sure we all want the bikes we order to be as close to perfect as possible when they arrive and small builders are going to sometimes have inexplicable delays. It's all part of the process of getting that great ride that a custom tandem gives. I advise against poisoning your thoughts towards the bike just because there has been a three or four month delay.
Old 03-21-17, 09:10 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I appreciate that it is frustrating to wait for a bike. However, I'm sure we all want the bikes we order to be as close to perfect as possible when they arrive and small builders are going to sometimes have inexplicable delays. It's all part of the process of getting that great ride that a custom tandem gives. I advise against poisoning your thoughts towards the bike just because there has been a three or four month delay.
I'm not sure how custom your typical Paketa is, or whether the OP spec'd anything custom about their's.

IIRC, your typical Paketa is built to a standard size and geometry. (Of course I can't confirm that, given their website is currently down, which seems a bit weird.)

So they're more build to order as opposed to truly custom.

As a customer, I'd be ok with the bike taking 6 months or more, if they told me up front that was the expected wait, and they promptly updated me if there was an unexpected delay.

Long, unexpected, non disclosed, delays are a good way for a small builder to become even smaller.
Old 03-21-17, 11:35 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
This is anecdotal, and also third hand, but, as I understand it, the wait for a "Vanilla Bike" is measured in years. So there is some perspective for the o.p. Seems to add to the allure. Go figure.
Old 03-21-17, 12:43 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd chime in here. I have a Paketa and it did take nearly5 months from initial contact to order to delivery. This was for an off the rack frame. It was a "blem" unit that was out of spec for the original paralympic team that had ordered it. The only customization was minor, it had to be modified to accommodate hydraulic disc brakes.

Paketa is a one man shop. JP is the man and I don't believe he has any helpers or employees. He also builds all of the Mg frames for Zinn. I don't know how much of his production output is for Zinn.

I have met JP and visited his shop a couple years before ordering the bike. In fact the frame I'm riding was hanging on his wall as a sample for visitors to handle and get a feel for the weight. I would characterize him as eccentric - you would have to be to take up working with magnesium as a frame material. I also believe him to be a perfectionist with all that entails both positive and negative.

The delays were frustrating and Nick, the point of contact, would occasionally let his own frustration with JP emerge towards the end. Ultimately, we absolutely love the bike and have ridden it 6,800 miles since April 2015. The ride quality of the magnesium really is noticeable. It's like taking the best qualities of all the common materials, steel, CF, Ti, Aluminum and putting them into one.

One last note. We did a 10 day self guided supported tour of Oregon's Willamette Valley and Mt. Hood last Summer. On our first day getting ready in Portland, the chain master link wasn't properly engaged after I assembled the bike. Gliding along the river path, it broke and the chain killed the rear derailleur and bent the hanger back a good 45 degrees. The bike was dead! After a desperate call to JP for a replacement hanger, and a walk across the bridge to River City Bicycles for their last Di2 derailleur, we only missed a day of our itinerary. JP went out of his way to get the part sent over night. It was late in the day and Friday of the July 4th weekend.
Old 03-21-17, 02:38 PM
twocicle

Originally Posted by tkramer
I thought I'd chime in here. I have a Paketa and it did take nearly5 months from initial contact to order to delivery. This was for an off the rack frame. It was a "blem" unit that was out of spec for the original paralympic team that had ordered it. The only customization was minor, it had to be modified to accommodate hydraulic disc brakes.

Paketa is a one man shop. JP is the man and I don't believe he has any helpers or employees. He also builds all of the Mg frames for Zinn. I don't know how much of his production output is for Zinn.

I have met JP and visited his shop a couple years before ordering the bike. In fact the frame I'm riding was hanging on his wall as a sample for visitors to handle and get a feel for the weight. I would characterize him as eccentric - you would have to be to take up working with magnesium as a frame material. I also believe him to be a perfectionist with all that entails both positive and negative.

The delays were frustrating and Nick, the point of contact, would occasionally let his own frustration with JP emerge towards the end. Ultimately, we absolutely love the bike and have ridden it 6,800 miles since April 2015. The ride quality of the magnesium really is noticeable. It's like taking the best qualities of all the common materials, steel, CF, Ti, Aluminum and putting them into one.

One last note. We did a 10 day self guided supported tour of Oregon's Willamette Valley and Mt. Hood last Summer. On our first day getting ready in Portland, the chain master link wasn't properly engaged after I assembled the bike. Gliding along the river path, it broke and the chain killed the rear derailleur and bent the hanger back a good 45 degrees. The bike was dead! After a desperate call to JP for a replacement hanger, and a walk across the bridge to River City Bicycles for their last Di2 derailleur, we only missed a day of our itinerary. JP went out of his way to get the part sent over night. It was late in the day and Friday of the July 4th weekend.
Interesting story. Idea for future such broken RD/hanger... turn your tandem into a "fixy" single speed. We always carry a mini chain breaker which allows for onsite chain repair. Simply wrap your chain around one of the chainrings (preferably the middle) and one of the rear cogs (again, middle) and avoid the RD altogether. Set your chain length to snug fit, install the "master link", and then DO NOT USE THE FD. With this configuration you should be able to self rescue and avoid the walk of shame. Caveat, if you do try to use the FD, it is possible you will then be looking for another new part.
Old 03-21-17, 03:05 PM
tkramer
TKramer

Bikes: Paketa V2r, Co-motion Equator Co-pilot, Bingham BUILT. tandem

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
Interesting story. Idea for future such broken RD/hanger... turn your tandem into a "fixy" single speed. We always carry a mini chain breaker which allows for onsite chain repair. Simply wrap your chain around one of the chainrings (preferably the middle) and one of the rear cogs (again, middle) and avoid the RD altogether. Set your chain length to snug fit, install the "master link", and then DO NOT USE THE FD. With this configuration you should be able to self rescue and avoid the walk of shame. Caveat, if you do try to use the FD, it is possible you will then be looking for another new part.
Yes. I've actually done this before on more than one occasion for myself and others. A chain breaker is de rigueur. It wouldn't have been advisable in this instance because less than 2/3 of the dropout face was available for the axle and skewer nut to bite down on. The hangar tab opened up the dropout slot as it bent back. The city of Portland is one of the better places to find yourself with a broken bike.
Old 03-26-17, 07:52 PM
TandemDelMar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I think you should give a realistic date to a perspective customer. Amd not be off by three months. I do regret the order. And still waiting Christmas gone, valentine gone, wife's birthday gone and now spring areived I live in San Diego
Old 03-26-17, 10:45 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I think you should give a realistic date to a perspective customer. Amd not be off by three months. I do regret the order. And still waiting Christmas gone, valentine gone, wife's birthday gone and now spring areived I live in San Diego
Is this your first tandem? The reason I ask is that there's always a break-in period where you dial-in the fit and make minor equipment changes (eg. stem length). Hope it arrives soon for you to enjoy the summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.