Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

At the dump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-18, 10:01 PM
solidtyres

Bikes: YES

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
How about the handling of "for hire" city bikes?
Here's the graveyard in China:

And although this is how I feel in my shop sometimes, it's not me:
Old 04-02-18, 10:08 PM
solidtyres

Bikes: YES

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Meanwhile our recycling center is pretty good about it, and has been a good source for interesting bikes.
This fleet showed up there a few years ago, lots of stories to go with them:
Old 04-18-18, 05:41 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Went again for a load of free mulch (one of the perks of county living) and the mulch conveyor is adjacent to the metal scrap pile, so it's hard not to take a peek. In addition to most of the ones from the previous post, there was a nice Specialized Hard Rock and a lower line Schwinn MTB.
Hard Rock.JPG

Schwinn.JPG

Last edited by thumpism; 04-19-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 06:38 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
New Meaning to Chinese Junk

It used to be about ships.

From The Atlantic

Last edited by oddjob2; 04-18-18 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 08:07 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have been collecting bicycles from the Dump for many years. The policy is "no scavenging" and I never did see any for sale there. The problem with searching through the available bikes is injury. If you get injured on Dump property, the city is liable. At least that is how it was explained to me. Also...

I have seen fights break out over a find that two people want. Almost got into one myself when a big fellow challenged me for one of the bikes I had collected that day. I told him that I had picked the bikes out and stacked them away from the scrap pile. He said he did not see my name on any of them, following with a self reproduction message.

I told him, as I took a picture of his truck plate and invited him to attempt to get the bike past the pay station at the Dump exit, that I would just call the gate. He came at me rapidly, probably intending to intimidate me. Fortunately, two other scavengers came to my aide, standing on each side of me. The problem guy bailed.

Later, that same day, a friend and fellow Bicycles for Humanity volunteer, came at day's end to load the bikes up and take them to our shop. And I even have a picture of that haul...

Old 04-19-18, 12:26 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, you are all making me very glad to live in the UK. While our refuse services are contracted out to private companies, the govt insists that re-usable or more valuable items are resold back to the public instead of being mashed up in skips with all the other junk.

Every bike I've bought in the last 2 years (bar one) has been from one of my local tips, and they've all either been fully functional bar one minor issue like a siezed cable or shifter or rusty chain or just general cosmetic unpleasantness. Also, they have a big shed full of furniture, toys, some antiques, records, books and everything else there, usually dirt cheap.

The caveat is that once an item ends up in the skip, it can't be retrieved (liability/ insurance) and they won't sell electrical items. But they're entirely responsible for my irresponsible bike buying. Americans, you have my sympathies on this occasion.
Old 11-25-18, 09:40 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Went for more mulch today and while tarping the load was mere steps from the scrap metal area and could not resist looking, although it always breaks my heart to see decent stuff being scrapped.

Headshok Cannondale

Adams Trail-A-Bike

GT Timberline and some no name road thing branded Dodge Viper, probably a showroom premium like the Jeep bikes.
Old 11-25-18, 09:46 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
My advice to anyone who sees something nice at the dump is to just take it. Don't ask permission, don't draw attention to yourself, just pick it up and leave.
Old 11-25-18, 11:24 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I moved to a different town a couple years ago. Trash removal is contracted out to a private company. This company has a "transfer station", or what we used to call a "dump". The first time I went there, I noticed an area where discarded bike were deposited. I inquired about the bikes; someone already beat me to it. Turns out a friend of the owner of the trash removal company already had dibs on any/all bikes deposited there. Dead-end for me.
Old 11-25-18, 11:26 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
My advice to anyone who sees something nice at the dump is to just take it. Don't ask permission, don't draw attention to yourself, just pick it up and leave.
Someone once told me: "its easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission....".....something along those lines.
Old 11-26-18, 09:01 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, as I can't remember how many good bikes I've brought home from the dump.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-26-18, 11:29 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 828 Times in 537 Posts
I'm surprised that some people can even scavenge bikes from any dump as you woul think that once a bike goes through the dump's front doors, it is automatically considered as scrap metal and doomed for crushing and recycling. Due to liability issues, I would not think that they will let a bike be taken back out of the dump by the public or the dump's employees.

Last edited by Chombi1; 11-26-18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-26-18, 11:42 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I'm surprised that some people can even scavenge bikes from any dump as you would think that once a bike goes through the rumo's front doors, it is automatically considered as scrap metal and doomed for crushing and recycling. Due to liability issues, I would not think that they will let a bike be taken back out of the dump by the public or the dump's employees.
Our dump has a disclaimer next to the bikes for sale saying that they're for spares and repair only (no liability accepted) but I think it makes good business sense. You get much more per kg selling them individually than destroying and recycling the raw materials.
Old 11-26-18, 01:45 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Well, there was a guy on the ground looking right at me at the perimeter wall ten feet from the bike. He'd been running the loader, squashing all the stuff into a larger pile and had climbed down to get a closer look at his work. In fact, he'd probably just finished packing everything around that Cannondale tighter than it was when I arrived. If it had not taken me so long to load the mulch I might have gotten to it before impact.
Old 11-27-18, 06:47 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
The Northern New England mind-set is to keep thinks working. My dump has provided repair parts for washing machines, dryers, ovens, gas and charcoal grills, snowblowers, at least two complete Weber kettles, and I don't know how many bikes and bike parts. Official policy is no scrounging, but actual practice (and interaction with the attendants) is otherwise. Those guys have their own problems at home.....

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 07-17-19, 02:33 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

This old Schwinn World was fighting the pile today but is essentially doomed. There were several other junkers, some already smashed, but also a yellow Varsity that could have been saved. Employees keep a pretty close eye on that area so grabbing something would likely lead to trouble. I did take a 5 LED light that was strapped to the bars, mostly as a protest.