Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Indirectly causing cyclists death :driver charged?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Indirectly causing cyclists death :driver charged?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 10:15 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope we aren't blaming the victim here

After all she's dead and can't tell her side of the story.

Also, the driver that run her over was DUI and the driver that caused her to swerve was illeaglly parked at a bus stop and pulled into the bike lane without looking.

Of course there are times the cyclist at fault, but I doubt this is one of them.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One thing I was thinking about this accident.

Australians drive on the left.

It took me a long time to get good at glancing over my left shoulder and keeping riding straight.

I find it much more difficult to look over my right shoulder (for example, merging from a center merge/turn lane).

So, even if the young woman was a very experienced rider, everything would have been backwards for her.
Old 09-12-18, 07:03 AM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting follow uo

Cops, investigsting unit wanted to arrest uber driver who caused her to via from her lane. DA refused to prosecute!

Very surprising given the mayors words on the topic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/09/11/mom-of-dead-tourist-cyclist-rips-cy-vance-for-not-filing-charges/amp/
Old 09-12-18, 07:29 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Generally, no intent = no criminal liability. Which is as it should be, IMO.

Vance’s office said it didn’t charge Peralta because state law doesn’t allow for a criminal charge of a driver who has not made contact with any other vehicles or people.
There are probably some very good reasons for this too. What if a bicyclist runs a stop sign, and a car avoiding them runs over a child and kills them. In this situation, the DA should charge the cyclist with murder? I would hope not.
Old 09-12-18, 08:14 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Sorry, Cy Vance has a history of non-prosecution of people in motor vehicles killing people. The farcical "not made contact with any other vehicles or people" is a willful gross misreading of New York State law.

DA's matter people.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-12-18 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 09:26 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bs

Was in a court case in syracuse where a doofus was aggressively swerving and caused a accident with no contact. Found guilty. Must be a NYC thing.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Sorry, Cy Vance has a history of non-prosecution of people in motor vehicles killing people. The farcical "not made contact with any other vehicles or people" is a willful gross misreading of New York State law.

DA's matter people.

-mr. bill
Old 09-18-18, 04:46 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
It can be the case that it is hard to convince the jury. The case of the bus driver who killed Dan Hanegby is heard now:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/n...ike-trial.html
Mr. Lewis has pleaded not guilty to charges he failed to yield to a bicycle, a misdemeanor crime under New York’s right of way law, and failed to exercise due care and caused serious physical injury. He rejected a no-jail plea deal that included a $1,000 fine with an attitudinal driving program and a six-month license revocation. He faces 30 days in jail if convicted.
He was not even charged with a manslaughter, and still he rejected the deal. This means he thinks he do better than the offered deal.
A tiger will not run after a mouse. The amount of meat a mouse has will not justify the energy spent to catch it. Here small amount of meat = mild sentence, not the murder. Should the DA lose the case, he will look like an idiot.

Originally Posted by raria
Was in a court case in syracuse where a doofus was aggressively swerving and caused a accident with no contact. Found guilty. Must be a NYC thing.
Was it a civil or a criminal case?
Old 09-18-18, 07:59 PM
raria

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
criminal

criminal

Originally Posted by csport
It can be the case that it is hard to convince the jury. The case of the bus driver who killed Dan Hanegby is heard now:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/n...ike-trial.html
Mr. Lewis has pleaded not guilty to charges he failed to yield to a bicycle, a misdemeanor crime under New York’s right of way law, and failed to exercise due care and caused serious physical injury. He rejected a no-jail plea deal that included a $1,000 fine with an attitudinal driving program and a six-month license revocation. He faces 30 days in jail if convicted.
He was not even charged with a manslaughter, and still he rejected the deal. This means he thinks he do better than the offered deal.
A tiger will not run after a mouse. The amount of meat a mouse has will not justify the energy spent to catch it. Here small amount of meat = mild sentence, not the murder. Should the DA lose the case, he will look like an idiot.

Was it a civil or a criminal case?
Old 09-18-18, 08:56 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
post deleted (Hanegby's case was not "indirectly causing cyclists death" so I'm moving my post to the appropriate thread.)
Old 06-14-19, 11:12 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I just remembered this accident and looked up for any news, found this January article Truckie who killed Aussie in NYC gets just $1k fine

The truck driver was fined $1,000 and 1-year license suspension. but the Uber driver, who caused the victim to veer into the vehicle lane, was not charged.

Ms Lyden’s mother, Amanda Berry, was furious prosecutors did not charge the Uber driver.

The NYPD also wanted the Uber driver charged, but Manhattan District lawyer Cy Vance said “a gap in the law” meant he could not because state law did not allow for a criminal charge of a driver who has not made contact with other vehicles or people.
Old 06-15-19, 09:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
What if a bicyclist runs a stop sign, and a car avoiding them runs over a child and kills them. In this situation, the DA should charge the cyclist with murder? I would hope not.
Why not? if not murder, at least responsibility for the death. After all, in the example you give the cyclist's illegal behavior was the cause of a fatality. No different than committing a burglary in which someone gets killed---felony homicide.

If a driver ran a red light and car, avoiding a collision, hit a cyclist, wouldn't you want the offending driver charged?
Old 06-15-19, 06:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Since the victim was not in a car, none of the drivers will be convicted for her death but charged with a minor offence. At least that appears to be the trend.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/06/13/negligence-charge-withdrawn-against-former-model-accused-in-fatal-cabbagetown-hit-and-run.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gideon-fekre-sentenced-1.4412121

Last edited by Daniel4; 06-15-19 at 06:17 PM.