Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

running during off season?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

running during off season?

Old 12-07-18, 06:02 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Is the winter for easy miles and not letting things slip? I always approached it as the time to make gains.
Old 12-07-18, 07:04 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
The suggestion didn't actually preclude making gains, did it? It's logical, given that traditionally you'd do base miles in off-season, which has been criticized for various reasons including lacking in intense and/or structured training, that a more formal running regime on top of those easy miles wouldn't hurt the condition of your legs (that everyone is worried about), while providing some of the benefits that you're missing.

But if you don't think so, or it's an either/or choice in your consideration, fine with me. I'm just asking.
Old 12-07-18, 07:49 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I don't know. VT1 is a highway in VT to me, not sure how it relates to cycling, so perhaps you're saying something different than I'm reading. I see words like minimal and easy, with "a little intensity' thrown in and see something that at least for me would be way easier than what would be supportive of my winter goals.
Old 12-07-18, 08:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I don't know. VT1 is a highway in VT to me, not sure how it relates to cycling, so perhaps you're saying something different than I'm reading. I see words like minimal and easy, with "a little intensity' thrown in and see something that at least for me would be way easier than what would be supportive of my winter goals.
It basically means increased breathing - I'm sure you train harder than that. VT2 is about where you are breathing so hard you can't talk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventilatory_threshold
Old 12-09-18, 11:59 AM
wphamilton

Nothing all that complicated. From looking at this sort of analysis (Intervals, Thresholds, and Long Slow Distance: the Role of Intensity
and Duration in Endurance Training
), and from what I've seen casually of so-called polarized training,

with recorded responses:

it looks like the Spanish pros utilized a lot of lower intensity miles during the winter season.

They described it: "Using this “time-in-zone” approach, we found that 91 % of all training time was spent at a heart rate below VT1 intensity, ~6 % between VT1 and VT2, and only 2.6 % of all 15-s heart rate registrations were performed above VT2"

And I'm sure you'll inform me if I'm wrong, but I gather that this is a pretty common approach for cyclists training for racing. Now I am asking not informing as I do not train for cycling races - maybe running races - and I cannot do high intensity or even VO2max comfortably in the cold, doing those indoors only in winter, so I am asking you to consider - speculate - that the orange/red elements of the charts might be just as effective if replacing the cycling off-season high intensity with running intervals training. .
Old 12-09-18, 12:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

While those things might be true, you’re asking pwople
with decades of experience in the sport to consider something as if you’re explaining the world isn’t flat.youre citing information from 2007. In reality we’re not Spanish pros riding 5-8 hours a day. Were we, than indeed many could get by on that sort of training. In reality most folks have minimal training hours, and their races are ultimately pretty short. As such that much time at low heart rates might not be the most effective use of time, or work on the sort of things they’ll actually see in a race.

Last edited by gsteinb; 12-09-18 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-09-18, 12:16 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by gsteinb
While those things might be true, you’re asking pwople
with decades of experience in the sport to consider something as if you’re explaining the world isn’t flat.youre citing information from 2007. In reality we’re not Spanish pros riding 5-8 hours a day. Were we, than indeed many could get by on that sort of training. In reality most folks have minimal training hours, and their races are ultimately pretty short. As such that much time at low heart rates might not be the most effective use of time, or work on the sort of things they’ll actually see in a race.
It's the topic of this thread, not something I just threw in, so don't put that on me. But if your "decades in the sport" informs that it's a "world is flat" question from a decade ago and therefore irrelevant, that's at least my answer.
Old 12-09-18, 12:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Actually in fairness my understanding is that the topic was using running as a warmer and more efficient winter pursuit. How it morphed into longer and slower would be a different question.
Old 12-09-18, 02:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I skate skied instead of riding today and yesterday. It beats the trainer. I still get to hang with friends and damn is it hard. It's totally aerobic work using the whole body and the same cycling muscles are sore. Would a 1.5 hour sweetspot bike workout be better in the long run than 1.5 hours on skis? Probably. But then again we have a lot to contend with during a long season, burn out being a huge one. Keeping the mind fresh and doing something different is good for you.
Old 12-20-18, 09:32 AM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Why would you run to burn calories when you already ride bikes?
An hour run at 7.5 minute pace (160 lbs) would burn ~1000 calories
An hour ride at 3.5 w/kg (160 lbs) would burn ~1000 calories

Hell, for me, a kind-of-easy-ish-but-still-sucky-cuz-I'm-not-in-running-shape "run" would be like 4 miles at a 10 minute pace = 480 calories
A cray-ultra-easy-feel-like-I-did-nothing-slower-than-grandma recovery ride would be like an hour at 120 watts = 480 calories
Because I can't always ride the bike. Or even when I have 30 minutes after the kid goes to bed, I can get on the treadmill immediately and jog.
If I had the capacity to just ride more, I would. Believe me.

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I skate skied instead of riding today and yesterday. It beats the trainer. I still get to hang with friends and damn is it hard. It's totally aerobic work using the whole body and the same cycling muscles are sore. Would a 1.5 hour sweetspot bike workout be better in the long run than 1.5 hours on skis? Probably. But then again we have a lot to contend with during a long season, burn out being a huge one. Keeping the mind fresh and doing something different is good for you.
Exactly. Your cross-sport of choice doesn't have to directly benefit your chosen competitive sport. If it makes you happy, keeps you active, and keeps you motivated, then it's worth it.
Old 12-20-18, 10:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Winter riding outdoors can suck balls sometimes. Meaning that instead of doing nothing or cheating an indoors ride for boredom....running can give a great aerobic engine workout in shorter time.

Not to mention burn those holidays and winter eating habit calories very efficiently.

I find running helps out of saddle efforts.

Don’t totally neglect doing some bike pursuit, sprint, TT efforts in winter by any means. Toss in a few. But perhaps aren’t the “staple” workouts at the time.

Just my uninformed opinion.
Old 12-20-18, 10:46 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6

the difference is probably very negligible and building up the posterior chain up through the back has benefit to your entire life (and probably sprinting)