Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Importance of rolling resistance / weight over shorter rides

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 05-13-19, 07:09 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts

How important do you all think rolling resistance and weight are over rides of 10 mile or less?

I know that over a 100 mile ride these are huge factors.

But I never ride my commuter bike more than 10 miles at a time anymore. (Weekend rides are either on a different bike or with the kids going 3 mph)

Usually my commute is 6 total miles a day, up to 10 if I take the long way home when it's nice out.

Are rolling resistance and weight even a factor on this bike for these short rides? Or are traction and puncture resistance all that matters over that distance?

I don't even need new tires right now for the commuter. I need them for the other bike and when I started shopping for them I started second guessing tires for the commuter too.
Old 05-13-19, 07:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
As long as the setup feels good to you, it's fine. If the ride feels so sluggish you routinely notice it during a 3 mile commute, absolutely make some changes. Otherwise... it's really fine. I think most of the RR issues and bike weight stuff is blown entirely out of proportion. I could ride my wife's bike 3 miles without much issue, and its frame is so small I can't pedal while turning because the drops on the handlebars try to hook behind my knees. Oh, and the weight thing? When my "go anywhere" bike is setup for long distance, like it was for my 104 solo miles on Saturday, it rolls out of the driveway fully-loaded at ~33lbs. Unless there's a number pinned to the back of your shirt, complaining about weight is for people who need excuses.
Old 05-13-19, 07:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
How important do you all think rolling resistance and weight are over rides of 10 mile or less?

I know that over a 100 mile ride these are huge factors.

But I never ride my commuter bike more than 10 miles at a time anymore. (Weekend rides are either on a different bike or with the kids going 3 mph)

Usually my commute is 6 total miles a day, up to 10 if I take the long way home when it's nice out.

Are rolling resistance and weight even a factor on this bike for these short rides? Or are traction and puncture resistance all that matters over that distance?

I don't even need new tires right now for the commuter. I need them for the other bike and when I started shopping for them I started second guessing tires for the commuter too.
Over short commutes my prefs are (I have a 3-4mi roundtrip commute with numerous stops and use my bike/backpack as a direct car replacement).

1. Puncture resistance: Heavy Schwalbe tyres.
2. Single speed: No damage to drivetrain in the city/bikeracks. Rear mechs always get bent.
3. Flat bars: Can hang multiple grocery sacks off the ends of the bars and walk them home.
4. Good lock: Should be able to make multiple stops in each direction in somewhat seedy neighbourhoods or be left at the train station for multimodal commutes
5. Backpack: Sweat isn't an issue, they're comfortable and leave both hands free
6. Lights: Should be able to come off/on and rapidly charge (I went with bright USB-charging LEDs)
Old 05-13-19, 07:29 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
As long as the setup feels good to you, it's fine. If the ride feels so sluggish you routinely notice it during a 3 mile commute, absolutely make some changes. Otherwise... it's really fine. I think most of the RR issues and bike weight stuff is blown entirely out of proportion. I could ride my wife's bike 3 miles without much issue, and its frame is so small I can't pedal while turning because the drops on the handlebars try to hook behind my knees. Oh, and the weight thing? When my "go anywhere" bike is setup for long distance, like it was for my 104 solo miles on Saturday, it rolls out of the driveway fully-loaded at ~33lbs. Unless there's a number pinned to the back of your shirt, complaining about weight is for people who need excuses.
Yeah it does feel okay now. The last time I made a tire change was when the stock Specialized Trigger Sports felt like slogging through mud.

I went to Michelin Proteks, which are heavy and stiff but they really improved the overall 'zippiness' of the bike. But I bought those without much research because they were on sale on the BikeTiresDirect daily special for like $15. So I just took an unresearched chance.
Old 05-13-19, 08:37 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Yeah it does feel okay now. The last time I made a tire change was when the stock Specialized Trigger Sports felt like slogging through mud.

I went to Michelin Proteks, which are heavy and stiff but they really improved the overall 'zippiness' of the bike. But I bought those without much research because they were on sale on the BikeTiresDirect daily special for like $15. So I just took an unresearched chance.
How often do you need to replace tyres?
Old 05-13-19, 08:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Listen to DrIsotope. His words are wise.
Old 05-13-19, 08:50 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Listen to DrIsotope. His words are wise.
And he said what I kinda figured...that all the tire specs don't mean much over small distances.

I mean I can easily tell the difference between a knobby and a slick.....but slick vs semislick vs hard rubber vs soft rubber vs tough sidewall vs supple sidewall....as long as you're not dealing with the entirely wrong kind of tire for the surface you ride on I figured it just wouldn't make much difference over short distances.

The 15 minute ride isn't enough to notice or care about vibrations or ride quality. And obviously I can't shave a ton of time off that 15 minutes no matter what I do unless there is a magic tire that makes my cheap bike fly or something.

I just got curious when I started looking for new rubber for the other bike. Wondering if a much high quality tire would make 3 - 10 miles noticeably different.
Old 05-13-19, 09:04 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Zippiness is rather a weight thing. Rolling resistance may be more of a long distance thing.

Personally, I don’t find your trigger sports a “high resistance” tire. They are not super light, but I don’t find them slow rolling

If I’m going slow and steady over a long distance – rolling resistance matters to me. Like DrI mentioned above – weight isn’t that important. I’m not going that fast or accelerating hard over a long distance. Nothing zippy

For a short distance, I like light and zippy. I may accelerate harder, maneuver with greater agility.

My bike tires range from 25 watts to 70 watts rolling resistance (for a pair). That is rather an extreme spread. Likely your tires have a 10-20watt spread – and that difference is kind of hard to feel.
Old 05-13-19, 09:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I start appreciating my tires before I'm even out of the driveway. At the end of the day, it's all about whether your bike makes YOU happy or not.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-13-19, 10:51 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Thick knobby mountain bike tires have maybe 40 watts resistance, racing tires 5-8 watts resistance, commuter/touring tires 15-25 watts resistance. Really not much of a difference for short distances.

You can browse through here to get some ideas of different tires rolling resistance:

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Old 05-13-19, 11:07 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I commute on a cruiser on some days and a fast road bike on other days.

On fast road bike with skinny, light weight tires...I feel more tired when I get home.

My reasoning is that with less resistance, I tend to ride more aggressively, accelerate harder and more often, which burn more calories.

So, I get home 3 minutes sooner, but am more fatiqued.

On cruiser I go slower but steady speed. No sprinting at the traffic light, etc.
This.

Exactly this.
Old 05-13-19, 11:12 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
My daily commute is 12 miles, and even though the three bikes I ride are all road bikes the tires on them are different, from decent-rolling 25mm Michelin Lithions with zero puncture protection on a relatively light bike to 38-mm puncture-resistant Conti CityRides on a heavier steel bike, and even to super-heavy 35-mm studded Schwalbes on a bike I named Clydesdale. For that distance it really doesn't matter. Yeah, I'm happier when I ride the first bike, and sometimes miserable when I ride the last bike, but it's only 12 miles.

If I'm riding 50 miles, that's a different story. No way I'd want to ride studs for that distance, and now way I'd want to ride a bike named Clydesdale for that distance.
Old 05-13-19, 11:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
If I'm riding 50 miles, that's a different story. No way I'd want to ride studs for that distance, and now way I'd want to ride a bike named Clydesdale for that distance.
If you're riding studs, I'd guess you're dealing with ice or snow. Would you prefer to rename your bike "Wolly Mammoth" or "Mastodon" under such conditions? Maybe "Moose?"

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-13-19, 12:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
I think it all comes down to what your priorities are. A ten mile ride is plenty long enough to notice a tire that feels sluggish. It's probably even long enough for a sluggish tire to induce a bit of extra fatigue if you try to maintain the same pace you would with supple tires. It's definitely long enough for a tire with poor puncture protection to be exposed as a problem. It's not long enough for even the worst of tires to make much of a difference in total time, aside from psychological effects.

My commute is ten miles each way, and my highest priority is enjoying the ride. That means I want (1) a tire with enough puncture protection to avoid becoming a nuisance regularly, (2) a tire that provides a decent cushion from road buzz and pavement irregularities, and (3) a tire that rolls well.
Old 05-13-19, 02:05 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Two things for me. First my aerospace engineer nerdbrain makes me despise anything that feels inefficient. Second, my heart problems mean I go slow, and so the RR is a higher percentage of the total for me. So if I’m going to spend my limited power I don’t want it taxed by something that could be better.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-13-19, 02:16 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Depends on your ability on how much inefficiencies matter. My average ride with my gravel bike and XC trail bike is about 35 miles and I push on those rides (at least 80% my max HR average). I'd think I could ride in a "commute" mode on a Walmart heavy fat bike for 10 miles with no problem unless it just didn't fit me well or that 10 miles was one long hill. My Hybrid bike that I do not ride much anymore has Marathons on it because flat prevention and durability on that bike at the time was critical to me. That bike was pretty heavy and I don't think really efficient tires would have changed the overall experience much. If I did commute 10 or so miles to work, it would probably be that bike with those tires.

Last edited by u235; 05-13-19 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 02:40 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by u235
My Hybrid bike that I do not ride much anymore has Marathons on it because flat prevention and durability on that bike at the time was critical to me. That bike was pretty heavy and I don't think really efficient tires would have changed the overall experience much. If I did commute 10 or so miles to work, it would probably be that bike with those tires.
You speak the truth.

Spandex Warriors squeezing out every W commuting to work are funny to watch. Especially, when that short commute is their only training.

The only thing funnier than that is watching the motorists erupt in anger at them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ational-people

Meanwhile, no one bothers an unpretentious father commuting to work on a FGSS with marathons.
Old 05-13-19, 04:07 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Last year I decided to try a pair of Vittoria Corsa G+ that were on sale. They felt really, really nice. Noticeable smoother, and a bit faster too. At first I was worried that it was going to 'ruin' riding on lesser tires, but that wasn't the case. The difference is there, but it's not so huge over most decent tires that you can never go back.

Originally Posted by u235
I'd think I could ride in a "commute" mode on a Walmart heavy fat bike for 10 miles with no problem unless it just didn't fit me well or that 10 miles was one long hill.
I tend to agree, but the bike has to be at least somewhat decent. Last month I used a bike-share bike while traveling for work, and it was absolutely horrible. I think they (I tried a few) had solid tires, horrible gearing, bad seats, strange riding position... just awful. It was discouraging enough to make me consider walking instead.
Old 05-13-19, 07:50 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by acidfast7
You speak the truth.

Spandex Warriors squeezing out every W commuting to work are funny to watch. Especially, when that short commute is their only training.

The only thing funnier than that is watching the motorists erupt in anger at them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ational-people

Meanwhile, no one bothers an unpretentious father commuting to work on a FGSS with marathons.
Your constant and seemingly incessant need take jabs at road cyclists who choose to commute in workout clothes makes me think that there's some deeper issue that you're harbouring--resentment, insecurity, superiority/inferiority complex, or just like putting down a group of cyclists cause they're easy to poke fun at. Says more about you than they ones you're judging, BTW. And I chuckled at the word 'unpretentious'.

Just an observation on the first part and an armchair psychoanalysis on the second, but whatever. It gets tiresome.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 05-14-19, 12:12 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Your constant and seemingly incessant need take jabs at road cyclists who choose to commute in workout clothes makes me think that there's some deeper issue that you're harbouring--resentment, insecurity, superiority/inferiority complex, or just like putting down a group of cyclists cause they're easy to poke fun at. Says more about you than they ones you're judging, BTW. And I chuckled at the word 'unpretentious'.

Just an observation on the first part and an armchair psychoanalysis on the second, but whatever. It gets tiresome.
It's just part of the Anglospehre (UK and AUS mostly) culture exemplified by a national newspaper article that I initially attached. Due to poor riding habits, the spandex-clad warriors ruin it for normal cyclists, like me, which I why I also state that fact that they're humourous/annoying (as cited in the article). This isn't my opinion or psychosis, this is an established and well-documented behaviour. Blame European culture if you must find somewhere to place your anger. BBC even uses MAMIL (middle-aged male in lycra) on a regular basis.

You seem very defensive about it? Are you a MAMIL and part of the problem it causes for me?

Anecdotally, it's always the MAMILs causing issues compared to the regular-clad cyclists. And the MAMILs tend to ride in packs, which is even more annoying as they skirt laws (red lights, etc...)

Why don't you read the article and get back to me before stating that I have an issue. Should you choose to simply make fun of me, you're missing an issue exists already and is well-documented, that you're seemingly somewhat naïve about.

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-14-19 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:00 AM
mcours2006

It's just part of the Anglospehre (UK and AUS mostly) culture exemplified by a national newspaper article that I initially attached. Due to poor riding habits, the spandex-clad warriors ruin it for normal cyclists, like me, which I why I also state that fact that they're humourous/annoying (as cited in the article). This isn't my opinion or psychosis, this is an established and well-documented behaviour. Blame European culture if you must find somewhere to place your anger. BBC even uses MAMIL (middle-aged male in lycra) on a regular basis.
I don't live in Europe, and I suspect most members here on BF do not live in Europe either. In fact, most of the BF members live in North America, so when someone who doesn't live here constantly makes fun of cycling culture here, well, it just makes him sound like a self-righteous DB. Just saying

You seem very defensive about it? Are you a MAMIL and part of the problem it causes for me?
Like I said, I don't live where you live, so even if I am a cyclist who wears spandex and who wears it proudly, middle-aged or otherwise, I wouldn't be causing problems for you in the least.

Anecdotally, it's always the MAMILs causing issues compared to the regular-clad cyclists. And the MAMILs tend to ride in packs, which is even more annoying as they skirt laws (red lights, etc...)
You lost me at anecdotally.

Why don't you read the article and get back to me before stating that I have an issue. Should you choose to simply make fun of me, you're missing an issue exists already and is well-documented, that you're seemingly somewhat naïve about.
Not trying to make fun of you, but like I wrote previously, when you make the kind of comments that you do it is quite telling the kind of person you are. You, or anyone else, can make the same judgments about based on what I've written in the 5000 posts I've done over the past five years.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 05-14-19, 06:07 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Like I said, I don't live where you live, so even if I am a cyclist who wears spandex and who wears it proudly, middle-aged or otherwise, I wouldn't be causing problems for you in the least.

You lost me at anecdotally.

Not trying to make fun of you, but like I wrote previously, when you make the kind of comments that you do it is quite telling the kind of person you are. You, or anyone else, can make the same judgments about based on what I've written in the 5000 posts I've done over the past five years.
Well, the summary, is that your spandex-clad brethren cause problem where I live. Thus, we don't like them and call them MAMILs as stated in the articles. We like to laugh at such people as they are self-indulgent, ride narcissistically and care about every W. They also antagonise drivers against all cyclists, which causes a problem for me (directly).

Thus, I will continue to make such commentary, while continuing to cite national news articles for those not in the same locale, so they can make an appropriate judgement of my post, until the problem ceases to exist.

I don't have an issue with all cyclists in Spandex, just the ones the feel the need to be a MAMIL during rush hour when they could cycle at any other time as be less of a burden.

Last edited by acidfast7; 05-14-19 at 06:13 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 06:13 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I don't live in Europe, and I suspect most members here on BF do not live in Europe either. In fact, most of the BF members live in North America, so when someone who doesn't live here constantly makes fun of cycling culture here, well, it just makes him sound like a self-righteous DB. Just saying
I missed this gem.

After cycling in both systems, it makes me qualified to speak about both. There are some very nice components about American cycling. Namely the landscape is phenomenal and the random people are more friendly than over here.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I've found that people pointing out DBs usually have an inferiority complex and are looking for someone to direct their frustration at, so your commentary cuts both ways.
Old 05-14-19, 06:16 AM
mcours2006

Again, road cyclists during rush hour here not a problem. Rush hour here not the same as rush hour in London. Most road cyclists here ride on the weekends. Drivers antagonizing more of a problem than the reverse. Trying to apply the same standards to two different cultures makes about as much sense as driving on the left side of the road.
Old 05-14-19, 06:18 AM
mcours2006

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I've found that people pointing out DBs usually have an inferiority complex and are looking for someone to direct their frustration at, so your commentary cuts both ways.
Well, we'll let others be the judge of that, won't we.
Likes For mcours2006:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.